The Student Room Group

Would a Labour-SNP coalition destroy Britain?

I use the term 'coalition' loosely and include an informal voting alliance as well.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dislike the SNP and I don't really care for Labour's politics, but I don't think either would destroy the country. Whilst I disagree with some of Labour's policies I don't doubt that they care for the country and want to do the best they can for it. No party in this country (bar the Greens) have any policies that will utterly destroy the country or the economy.
Original post by Lady Comstock
I use the term 'coalition' loosely and include an informal voting alliance as well.

Well, it's better than having Stalin in power.

Not a lot of other positive things I can say on the matter really.
If by destroy Britain you mean cause the Scots to go for independence, then a Conservative government is far more likely to result in that, for three reasons:
- their policies are so destructive and divisive.
- the attitude of their politicians and supporters towards Scotland is head in sand at best, racist at worst.
- the idiotic, destabilising EU referendum, called due to craven cowardice in the face of UKIP and the massive rebellions in this parliament from insane Tory backbenchers, is the only valid excuse by which the SNP will get away with holding another referendum within the decade.

If you mean destroy Britain in an economic, demographic, military or systemic capacity, please grow up: such rabid scaremongering is right up there with the coup plot against Wilson. The only thing I can see tearing apart the social fabric of this country is Tory austerity for the poor while they hand over money to the rich. Labour will, as ever, spend on much needed infrastructure and grow the economy while practising fiscal rectitude, with any Blairite conniving tempered by the anti-austerity SNP and their own left-wing backbenchers.

Let's also note that to get anywhere near a majority the Tories will have to put together about four parties and go with the begging bowl not only to the Northern Irish but also to UKIP. If by destroy Britain you mean a pact/coalition will cause political instability (though somehow the justification for the Tory-Lib Dem coalition was that the country needed stability or we would end up like Greece) a Tory-led one is going to be far more unstable than a Labour-led one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nah, while the SNP wanting independence may not be in the interests of the rest of Britain, as a party they're fairly moderate. It won't destroy Britain at all.
Original post by scrotgrot
If by destroy Britain you mean cause the Scots to go for independence, then a Conservative government is far more likely to result in that, for three reasons:
- the attitude of their politicians and supporters towards Scotland is head in sand at best, racist at worst.
- the idiotic, destabilising EU referendum, called due to craven cowardice in the face of UKIP and the massive rebellions in this parliament from insane Tory backbenchers, is the only valid excuse by which the SNP will get away with holding another referendum within the decade.

If you mean destroy Britain in an economic, demographic, military or systemic capacity, please grow up: such rabid scaremongering is right up there with the coup plot against Wilson. The only thing I can see tearing apart the social fabric of this country is Tory austerity for the poor while they hand over money to the rich. Labour will, as ever, spend on much needed infrastructure and grow the economy while practising fiscal rectitude, with any Blairite conniving tempered by the anti-austerity SNP and their own left-wing backbenchers.

Let's also note that to get anywhere near a majority the Tories will have to put together about four parties and go with the begging bowl not only to the Northern Irish but also to UKIP. If by destroy Britain you mean a pact/coalition will cause political instability (though somehow the justification for the Tory-Lib Dem coalition was that the country needed stability or we would end up like Greece) a Tory-led one is going to be far more unstable than a Labour-led one.

You're not bitter at all are you.

You'll have to explain how conservative policies are racist towards scotland. Go on, tell me how I'm being victimised by the Tories.
No. Next question.
Original post by scrotgrot

1. Divisive perhaps, but I fail to see how their policies are destructive. It's not as though the UK is in crisis.
2. Their attitude is not racist in the least. That is complete bull****.
3. The UK public voted in favour of the EU in the 1970s after having been assured, in no uncertain terms, that membership of the EU would not impact on British sovereignty and it was merely a trade bloc. 40 years later that has been proven to be demonstrably untrue, and there is a clear democratic case for a referendum on EU membership.
Reply 8
My brother in law is Scottish, he destroys cream cakes.
Original post by MatureStudent36
You're not bitter at all are you.

You'll have to explain how conservative policies are racist towards scotland. Go on, tell me how I'm being victimised by the Tories.

Repped by mistake. I wanted to rep Scrotgrot not you.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Repped by mistake. I wanted to rep Scrotgrot not you.

Can you tell me how the conservatives are racist towards me then?
It would guarantee a UKIP 2020 majority, so as a UKIP supporter I would like to see a LabSNP alliance happen.
It wouldn't destroy Britain but I predict it would substantially damage the labour vote.

A Tory majority would probably leads to a succesful yes vote for Scotland.

The only thing that's certain in this election is that no party is strong enough to achieve a majority:

Thus for the sake of the UK I think the best result should be a labour lib dem coalition- with the liberals keeping a steady hand on the finances.
Reply 13
Original post by otester
It would guarantee a UKIP 2020 majority, so as a UKIP supporter I would like to see a LabSNP alliance happen.

lolz

You guys crack me up.
Reply 14
Original post by Davij038
A Tory majority would probably leads to a succesful yes vote for Scotland.

How?

Cameron wouldn't authorise another indie ref vote.
Original post by Lady Comstock

Yes it would - I hope they hold another referendum and become independent and get disadvantaged by the markets, by the EU and not relying on the English to prop up their infrastructure!

Screw the Scots.
Reply 16
Original post by frivolousfretter
Yes it would - I hope they hold another referendum and become independent and get disadvantaged by the markets, by the EU and not relying on the English to prop up their infrastructure!
Screw the Scots.

I presume you mean Londoners? The rest of the 'english' doesn't.
Original post by Quady
How?

Cameron wouldn't authorise another indie ref vote.

If the SNP do as well as the Polls predict, that would give them a pretty clear mandate.
Reply 18
Original post by Davij038
If the SNP do as well as the Polls predict, that would give them a pretty clear mandate.

Not from this election - indie ref isn't in their manefesto.

After the 2016 election then sure (if its in that manifesto), but Cameron still wouldn't agree to it.
Don't know why the Scottish want to be independent yet will still want to use the pound, resources, siphon off the debt to Westminster etc. Like a 15 year old who wants to move out but still wants his mum to do the washing and cooking!

See I'm a big conservative so obviously I feel in my opinion (not saying others are wrong) that Labour wouldn't be too great for the country (e.g. Brown took out £3bn from the pension pot which has literally ****ed my dad's retirement up and also sold off our gold at a ludicrously low price).

However, a Labour-SNP coalition would be DEVASTATING. Sturgeon is a power-hungry dictator who only cares about Scotland and not the UK. She radicalizes Labour's policies and says absolutely idiotic things such as scrapping trident (it costs £2bn a year, it deters threats - think of it like a bodyguard for someone famous, sure they might have to be used but they do DETER threats).

Our nation would be in a state and nobody would trust the Labour party for a very long time - which would be good for right-wingers like me but bad because I'll have to live in a terrible climate for the next 5 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending