The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Have fun at open days. :smile:
Original post by Gazoula
I visited them last year and they said last year was the last time they were accepting non-science graduates hence it is true that from this year onwards it is only science grads they are taking in...

Hope that helps.

Original post by lcsurfer
Its only science degrees... We kicked off as students here about it when we first found out

Thanks for the responses :frown:
Original post by liam__
Unfortunately this year it's science only. I'm affected by this too :frown:

Moment of silence for us arts/humanity degrees... Im distraught because they were also UKCAT entry which I will obviously fair better at.

It seems they really are phasing out the accelerated programme. So many are being cut or narrowed down. Now I can only apply to 5 GEMs as someone who genuinely didnt really consider medicine in school :redface:

I guess seeing as you only apply to 4 it just means there is less choosing for me to do... however the prospect of living in Derby, Swansea, Coventry/Leamington doesnt exactly excite me, but everyone has their own preferences.
Original post by lemongrass
Moment of silence for us arts/humanity degrees... Im distraught because they were also UKCAT entry which I will obviously fair better at.

It seems they really are phasing out the accelerated programme. So many are being cut or narrowed down. Now I can only apply to 5 GEMs as someone who genuinely didnt really consider medicine in school :redface:

I guess seeing as you only apply to 4 it just means there is less choosing for me to do... however the prospect of living in Derby, Swansea, Coventry/Leamington doesnt exactly excite me, but everyone has their own preferences.

Are you including southampton? I did a Chem a level specifically to apply there and that's where I'm going in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
Are you including southampton? I did a Chem a level specifically to apply there and that's where I'm going in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been wondering about Chem A-Level to open up that option. How did you do it - did you go back to college part time and did you take a full 2 year course? Also, if you totally bomb I suppose you still have to declare it on the UCAS application...that's what is putting me off at the moment.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
I've been wondering about Chem A-Level to open up that option. How did you do it - did you go back to college part time and did you take a full 2 year course? Also, if you totally bomb I suppose you still have to declare it on the UCAS application...that's what is putting me off at the moment.

I did it a year in advance so I knew my grade, but you only need a c for southampton anyway.

I have a friend who's doing a PhD in Chemistry and he helped me at weekends. Did it over 9 months and sat it as an external candidate at a college in London (where I also did the practicals). I found it pretty easy tbh, a levels are a lot easier once you've done a degree! I was working full time, volunteering, and learning at the weekends with more time put into it closer to exams and I got 97%, so it's really not that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone else is keeping up to date on medical news and issues online I'm using a Twitter account to re-tweet and post links for interesting things I see. Let's connect! @DelphiDeWitt
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JenniB22
I did it a year in advance so I knew my grade, but you only need a c for southampton anyway.

I have a friend who's doing a PhD in Chemistry and he helped me at weekends. Did it over 9 months and sat it as an external candidate at a college in London (where I also did the practicals). I found it pretty easy tbh, a levels are a lot easier once you've done a degree! I was working full time, volunteering, and learning at the weekends with more time put into it closer to exams and I got 97%, so it's really not that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much, I'm going to look into sitting it as an external candidate. I'm revising Chem A2 for the GAMSAT and I'm finding it a lot easier than when I was at school (to my surprise!) so perhaps it's not such a bad idea to get the A-Level.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Thanks very much, I'm going to look into sitting it as an external candidate. I'm revising Chem A2 for the GAMSAT and I'm finding it a lot easier than when I was at school (to my surprise!) so perhaps it's not such a bad idea to get the A-Level.

I found the chemistry in the BMAT absolutely impossible - I've spent most of the last 3 years unlearning A Level chemistry :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Original post by Alexdaman93
I found the chemistry in the BMAT absolutely impossible - I've spent most of the last 3 years unlearning A Level chemistry :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh dear :s-smilie:. What standard of Chem does the BMAT test?
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to apply to graduate entry medicine in 2016 and I think I have all the relevant work/Life experience, my academic achievements at uni are more than good enough, obviously worried about the entrance exams (BMAT and UKCAT). But I'm really quite concerned about my application as my A levels are poor, and my first year of Uni was a write off ( I study Biomed now, but I originally did human biology for a year but changed courses), because of a lot of mental health problems that are near enough resolved; that were triggered by experiencing some horrific violence for a long period of time. I'm just so unsure of how to explain it to medical schools without going into too much detail or it sounding like a sob story :/ Any ideas?
Is anyone going to the Nottingham GEM open day this Saturday? Did you receive an email or anything when you booked to go? I booked a place last week but haven't received any info yet :/ ....
Reply 372
Interesting article titled 'Training future doctors: how does medical education need to adapt?'

http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2015/apr/13/training-future-doctors-how-does-medical-education-need-to-adapt
Anyone here considering applying abroad..? New Zealand is calling me for many reasons, and I will definitely apply in the UK too, but I can't help but be tempted. If you (or anyone you know) is going to apply I've love to talk to you!
If anyone else is studying for the GAMSAT in September and is in London, hoping to set up a study group so get in touch!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RachelRachel1990
Is anyone going to the Nottingham GEM open day this Saturday? Did you receive an email or anything when you booked to go? I booked a place last week but haven't received any info yet :/ ....

Hey! I'm going to the open day. I've received two emails - one to confirm my details were registered on the day I signed up, and one I received on the 13th, confirming my attendance. The latter also included a programme for the day.

So, you should have received these two, I would imagine... Maybe contact them if not :smile:
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
If anyone else is studying for the GAMSAT in September and is in London, hoping to set up a study group so get in touch!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I am up for that. I have inboxes you.
:smile:
Original post by DelphiDeWitt

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I was in London!

Anyone around Bangor want to set up a study group?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Original post by Jacqualyn
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to apply to graduate entry medicine in 2016 and I think I have all the relevant work/Life experience, my academic achievements at uni are more than good enough, obviously worried about the entrance exams (BMAT and UKCAT). But I'm really quite concerned about my application as my A levels are poor, and my first year of Uni was a write off ( I study Biomed now, but I originally did human biology for a year but changed courses), because of a lot of mental health problems that are near enough resolved; that were triggered by experiencing some horrific violence for a long period of time. I'm just so unsure of how to explain it to medical schools without going into too much detail or it sounding like a sob story :/ Any ideas?

As far as I know they don't look at your A-levels and they are only concerned with your final degree classification. You almost definitely won't have to bring up these problems if you don't want to.
I'm finding getting work experience and volunteering in London pretty difficult. I have zero contacts up here!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending