The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Which York College?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paarkerpenn
I went today. Apaz Vanbragh is very musical...
Also, I wouldn't worry about what is close etc, everything is so close!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless you're in Halifax or the wrong side on campus :tongue:
University of York
York
Original post by Jammy Duel
A prime example of why SFE is a joke, however, it really isn't actually that bad quality compared to some of what I have seen from friends that is a similar price or not much less.

Well I understand that it's all of good quality but the cheapest available room is the same price as the most premium of rooms at Cardiff. I just feel like there's no option
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Well I understand that it's all of good quality but the cheapest available room is the same price as the most premium of rooms at Cardiff. I just feel like there's no option

There isn't really bar en suite vs standard and, from what I hear from some friends, Constantine vs everything else (I kinda w wish I had some to be in Constantine next year even though I couldn't be much further from my lectures but only get about how good it is after accepting what I miss have for next year)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in Derwent and would 110% recommend it. Our social scene is so much better than every other college, with two bars close by, you're far more likely to make friends with a wider range of people than other colleges IMO.

PM me if any of you want any questions answered. Do not underestimate the importance of the college you pick though, I find it to be a pivotal part of my Uni experience.

Derwent = Party
James = Sporty
Hes East accommodation = best available, however it's very quiet over there and always seems a bit dead.

Don't go to Halifax if you can help it, I would be amazed if someone disagreed with me on that one.
Reply 44
Original post by Brodderz
I'm in Derwent and would 110% recommend it. Our social scene is so much better than every other college, with two bars close by, you're far more likely to make friends with a wider range of people than other colleges IMO.

PM me if any of you want any questions answered. Do not underestimate the importance of the college you pick though, I find it to be a pivotal part of my Uni experience.

Derwent = Party
James = Sporty
Hes East accommodation = best available, however it's very quiet over there and always seems a bit dead.

Don't go to Halifax if you can help it, I would be amazed if someone disagreed with me on that one.

Thoughts on Vanbrugh?
Original post by Brodderz

Derwent = Party
James = Sporty

What's Alcuin like? Also, are any events/society meetings held in Hes East?
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
What's Alcuin like? Also, are any events/society meetings held in Hes East?

Of all the Hes West colleges Alcuin has the worst rep in terms of it's social scene, meant to be very quiet.

Hes East is great though, the only people who say otherwise are those who live on Hes West and never come across here.

I'm in Langwith and the social side of the college is unreal, it's one of the biggest colleges but has quite a few postgrads/returning students so you get to know everyone. If you're a social person who likes going out you'd be absolutely fine choosing Langwith, there's constantly parties where basically the whole of Langwith are invited, there's also punch every week which no other college has (it's like an un-official society, where every Wednesday 30/40 people pay £6, a huge bowl of punch is made and you get ****ed). Additionally Langwith is right next to the Glasshouse, so you've got a bar nearby where Marmite is held twice a term along with pub quizzes, big pre-drinks etc.

Langwith is definitely the closest college I'd say, we constantly have huge turnouts on events we organise (e.g. we had a bar crawl vs derwent in refreshers week and smashed them about 3:1 in terms of turnout) and when it comes to student elections and such Langwith had far and away the highest voter percentage.

As for Goodricke, little bit quieter I'd say, but at the same time I know a lot of really sound people in Goodricke who love a night out. Think this year Goodricke has had quite a quiet intake of students, but still sent 60 people to Leeds last night on a night out. Last year Goodricke was meant to be wild, one block was renamed the chlamydia block for example...

Constantine is the nicest accommodation anywhere at the uni, but also the most expensive so attracts a lot of foreign students or really rich students who seem less inclined to going out - again though, I know a lot of people in Constantine who are sound and a few who got a boring flat are just mates with next door so I imagine it has the community atmosphere as well.

My advice would be 100% live on Hes East if you will have your lectures there, for example I study law and 90% of law students live on this side of campus which is mint for making mates and stuff. If your lectures are on Hes West there's still definitely a case for living on this side of campus though, the accommodation is definitely nicer which is key to a lot of people. There seems to be little friendship groups that commute over to Hes West daily too, e.g. my flatmate is a chemist and has a huge group of mates who all live in Langwith but study chemistry.
Come to York and you'll see why we Hes West people don't want to live there. I'm not suggesting what the person above is saying is false, but it's mainly accommodation and lecture halls with a few common rooms. (I have lectures over there so I go pretty much every day).
Does Derwent have en suites? I've heard mixed things about this. If not how are the shared bathrooms?
Original post by Sixtyseven67
Does Derwent have en suites? I've heard mixed things about this. If not how are the shared bathrooms?

I know there are a very small amount of catered ensuites in Derwent (I have a friend in one) but I don't know what the shared bathrooms are like - maybe check the college website?
Accommodation is so bloody overpriced. Starting to get worried at how I'll even fund uni
Hi I have firmed my offer for History at York but I am still undecided on the accommodation. I want to be in a college that is always busy. is near the centre of the campus and has a friendly atmosphere. I would like a room with an en suite as well. Any ideas? :smile:
Need to make a decision.

James or Derwent?
Original post by JessMelody
Hi I have firmed my offer for History at York but I am still undecided on the accommodation. I want to be in a college that is always busy. is near the centre of the campus and has a friendly atmosphere. I would like a room with an en suite as well. Any ideas? :smile:

Hi Jess,

Glad to hear you've firmed your offer - great news! You might want to considering applying for rooms in Vanbrugh: it's right at the heart of Heslington West, there's always a lot going on, and History is located in Vanbrugh too (http://www.york.ac.uk/about/maps/campus/#history) so you could roll out of bed and into lectures if you wanted to!

You could also put down some Derwent rooms as your preferences. it's just next to Vanbrugh and very social, but I think it has fewer ensuite rooms.

I hope that's a help, but let me know if you have any more questions!

AM
Original post by jonnynoctu
Need to make a decision.

James or Derwent?

Hi Jonny,

You'll be asked to select a minimum of nine preferences, so you'll have the chance to put down James or Derwent rooms.

If you're more concerned with the accommodation standard/facilities, this page will show you the rooms available in each college: http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/

If you're interested in the college community, why not take a look at some of the student-run Facebook pages?

James: https://www.facebook.com/groups/397349403651551/
Derwent: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007905585564&fref=ts

Hope that's a help!

AM
Original post by University of York
Hi Jonny,

You'll be asked to select a minimum of nine preferences, so you'll have the chance to put down James or Derwent rooms.

If you're more concerned with the accommodation standard/facilities, this page will show you the rooms available in each college: http://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/accommodation/

If you're interested in the college community, why not take a look at some of the student-run Facebook pages?

James: https://www.facebook.com/groups/397349403651551/
Derwent: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007905585564&fref=ts

Hope that's a help!

AM

Thanks, that's very insightful!

Can you tell me about the differences between colleges when it comes to catered accommodation? Also, what are the differences between the food available in or near different colleges when it comes to the food for catered students/undergraduates? (I do understand that you don't have to attend a college to eat at their establishments :smile: )
Original post by jonnynoctu
Thanks, that's very insightful!

Can you tell me about the differences between colleges when it comes to catered accommodation? Also, what are the differences between the food available in or near different colleges when it comes to the food for catered students/undergraduates? (I do understand that you don't have to attend a college to eat at their establishments :smile: )

Hi Jonny,

You can get catered accommodation at Vanbrugh, James and Derwent. All the catering is provided by Commercial Services, so I don't think there are huge differences between the food offered in each. There's more info about catering here:

http://www.york.ac.uk/food-and-bars/catered-accommodation/

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,
AM
Hi everyone,
I'm considering firming York for Sociology and Social Psychology, any tips on what college to go for? Not sure if I want to do catered, depends on if I can convince myself doing non catered won't end in me eating pizza every day. Also still considering Exeter, does anyone have any experiences with the both of them?
Original post by solveigswantje
Hi everyone,
I'm considering firming York for Sociology and Social Psychology, any tips on what college to go for? Not sure if I want to do catered, depends on if I can convince myself doing non catered won't end in me eating pizza every day. Also still considering Exeter, does anyone have any experiences with the both of them?

Hi solveigswantje,

If you want to be close to your department (http://www.york.ac.uk/about/maps/campus/#sociology) James is a good shout. It has a mix of catered and self-catered accommodation, so you can look into the college without having to make the catering decision yet. Teaching can take place all over campus though, so it's worth looking at other colleges (especially as you'll be asked to put a minimum of nine preferences in our accommodation system) - Derwent and Vanbrugh both offer catered accommodation too.

If you put us down as your firm choice, you'll be among the first batch of applicants to be allocated accommodation, so you stand a better chance of getting one of your top picks than our insurance students.

Hopefully someone will be able to provide some Exeter information for you!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

AM
Original post by JRS_
Hey everybody,

I just firmed my offer for Physics at York and have been looking at accommodation.
I am considering Constantine and Langwith as my two favourites however I'm fairly sure that I would be having lectures on the other campus.
I understand that there is a bus that runs between the two sites but is the distance really that far? (I guess I am asking if anybody knows whether it is easily bike/walk-able)

Hi there,

It's not a long way at all - 15-25 minutes' walk from Heslington East to Heslington West depending on where you're going. I think Constantine to the Exhibition Centre (which Physics is based) would take about 20-25 minutes to walk depending on your pace. And you can always take the bus on rainy days!

A lot of our students choose to live on one side of campus and study on another, so it's really manageable.

Hope that's a help!

AM

Quick Reply