The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

I wasn't struggling for reps, just the belt was hurting and my arms were hurting so cba
Which belt did you get?

Where exactly are you wearing your belt in relation to hips and ribs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Which belt did you get?

Where exactly are you wearing your belt in relation to hips and ribs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strength shop 13mm 4 inch lever.

Wearing it so it covers bottom rib sort of area. Tried a set with it a bit higher and it was better tbh.
Original post by illusionz

Wearing it so it covers bottom rib sort of area. Tried a set with it a bit higher and it was better tbh.

Good belt. similar to my inzer.

Cool, I've recently moved mine up from below ribs, so much nicer now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

think i might upgrade my rdx lever to the strength shop one soon.
Original post by AreebWithaHat
think i might upgrade my rdx lever to the strength shop one soon.

Upgrade to inzer and never buy another belt in your lifetime.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gonna try a complete cycle of inverted juggernaut method over the summer. Want to get into good shape for hockey preseason and cardio during Texas method isn't viable. Other reasons for stopping Texas method are too low upper body volume and that my elbows don't like heavy bench. Also this will lead to more hypertrophy - my arms shrunk on TM and they weren't big to begin with.

That said I achieved a 4 plate squat and several bench PBs on TM so not all negative, but time for a change

Going to program 4 days a week as no regular hockey over summer ( will have a few games here and there).

Bench day
Bench, speed OHP, rows, CGIBP, curls

Deadlift day
Box jumps, deadlift, speed squats, abs

Press day
Press, speed bench, chin ups, CGBP, lat raises and/or facepulls

Squat day
Box jumps, squat, speed deadlift, prowler, abs.
This will be at a weekend so can use prowler, there are classes in that area during week after work.

Assistance will be roughly 3 sets of 8-12, but might go harder on upper back work as there isn't much upper back volume. Will see. Unsure if I need any lower assistance other than speed work. Perhaps a squat variation at least?

Generally much shorter rests than on TM. First phase with 10*5 is 60 seconds. Rests for main lifts prescribed in book, assistance will vary. Speed work will be higher as Chad recommends speed work at like 60-70% iirc so low volume and higher rests, focusing on explosiveness.

Squat day, Friday. Busy this weekend sadly.

Box jump
3*5

Squat
60*10
100 9*5, 10
50 second rests between squats. Last set gassed me. Annoyed as wanted more.

Speed deadlift
up to 140 for 3*5
This was potentially a bit heavy as was tired, wasn't that quick. Or at least didn't feel quick. But Chad suggests speed work at about 60-70% of 1rm.

Couldn't use prowler due to a class. Will do squat workout on weekends where possible so I can use it.

Abs

Bench, semi paused
60 9*5, 15

Speed military press (paused ofc)
20*5
30*5
35*5,5,
Felt fairly fast. Don't get anything like as fatigued doing bench as squats, so speed work after is better.

Rows
60*10,10,10,10,10
Biceps fried.

CGIBP
40*10
50*8
This was too heavy, 8th was hard
40*8,8
Huge rom lol. Probs twice my flat bench if not more.

EZ preacher curl #brotastic
+10*8, too easy
+20*8,7
+15*8
+20 is a bit hard for 3*8. Will try 15 next time and see if too easy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi mate in terms of sport performance for Lower body.. I'd include one day a week of split squats (BB or DB) and higher rep single leg deadlifts (DB preferably), with nordic hammer curls as hamstring injury prevention.

Would say always do the explosive stuff at the start, and the strength lower/uppers after those.

Have you thought of push presses/jerks/high pulls/cleans/snatches etc? With your lifts you'd be at an awesome foundation to bring your power up!

Been watching your blog, great progress mate.
Original post by ljoshl91
Hi mate in terms of sport performance for Lower body.. I'd include one day a week of split squats (BB or DB) and higher rep single leg deadlifts (DB preferably), with nordic hammer curls as hamstring injury prevention.

Would say always do the explosive stuff at the start, and the strength lower/uppers after those.

Have you thought of push presses/jerks/high pulls/cleans/snatches etc? With your lifts you'd be at an awesome foundation to bring your power up!

Been watching your blog, great progress mate.

What's the basis for nordic curls? I squat low bar so already have quite a lot of hamstring and glute work.

Likewise re: split squats? Simply because they place greater emphasis on the quads?

I'm doing box jumps before the main exercise for lower body days. Focusing on the main lifts, speed work is assistance. If only because I have set progression for the main lifts.

I did think about push press especially for explosiveness, gonna stick with paused speed press for the moment though. As for the olympic lifts (or parts thereof), I've never done 1 rep of any of them and can't really be bothered to put in the necessary technique work. None of the trainers at my gym have a clue when it comes to olympic lifts either.

You have a coach who sets your training irrc? If not, have a read about the juggernaut method, its' pretty interesting and the guy who wrote it has trained several NFL and olympic athletes (in addition to being a US national shotput and squat record holder)
(edited 9 years ago)
Interesting new plan. Dat volume.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The volume of the main lifts goes through phases. In the highest volume phase now but will end up at 3RM phase at the end.

I did feel like I was lacking volume before though.
What's the basis for nordic curls? I squat low bar so already have quite a lot of hamstring and glute work.

Likewise re: split squats? Simply because they place greater emphasis on the quads?

I'm doing box jumps before the main exercise for lower body days. Focusing on the main lifts, speed work is assistance. If only because I have set progression for the main lifts.

I did think about push press especially for explosiveness, gonna stick with paused speed press for the moment though. As for the olympic lifts (or parts thereof), I've never done 1 rep of any of them and can't really be bothered to put in the necessary technique work. None of the trainers at my gym have a clue when it comes to olympic lifts either.

You have a coach who sets your training irrc? If not, have a read about the juggernaut method, its' pretty interesting and the guy who wrote it has trained several NFL and olympic athletes (in addition to being a US national shotput and squat record holder)

Split squats from what I've been told and info I've looked at are good because it's one of the best unilateral leg exercises so develops balance, single leg strength and particularly glute strength. It seems quite functional and the hip type hinge you do has good carry over I think.

Push press has been decent, had good carry over to strict too.

Been reading a lot of power training stuff recently and trap bar jumps, squat jumps (both DB and BB), and med ball throws are being used a lot in athletes particuarly when they haven't got the time to learn the really technique dependent oly lifts.

I've been doing an in-season program the uni coach helped me set out but with injuries and back problems not been able to do a lot of it. Was thinking of hopping on something similar to juggernaught over the summer for bench/push press and customizing the rest
Deadlift day

Jumps 3*6

Deadlift
60*10
100*5
120 9*5, 20.
1 minute rests. After 20 I almost fell over. Hard work.

So ****ing tired. My lord.

Pin squats
60*3
100*3
110*3
Pin squat into little jump for lols
110*3,3,4
Guy next to me was half squat jumping with 40kg, so I decided to give it a go. I'm a dick.
9 x 5
Then for 20?

No

Just no. I choose life :tongue:
Deadlift day

Jumps 3*6

Deadlift
60*10
100*5
120 9*5, 20.
1 minute rests. After 20 I almost fell over. Hard work.

So ****ing tired. My lord.

Pin squats
60*3
100*3
110*3
Pin squat into little jump for lols
110*3,3,4
Guy next to me was half squat jumping with 40kg, so I decided to give it a go. I'm a dick.

Yes! The 20 rep scheme is spreading!!! :tongue:

Surely you can do a lot more than 20 though? You've got like 30-40kg on my dead IIRC and I managed 130*20 with a little spare...
Original post by Angry cucumber
9 x 5
Then for 20?

No

Just no. I choose life :tongue:

TBH, if he can do 20, then 5 reps is no effort at all...
Original post by In One Ear
TBH, if he can do 20, then 5 reps is no effort at all...

65 reps of any weight sounds reasonably vile tbh :tongue:
Original post by In One Ear
Yes! The 20 rep scheme is spreading!!! :tongue:

Surely you can do a lot more than 20 though? You've got like 30-40kg on my dead IIRC and I managed 130*20 with a little spare...

9*5 with 60s rest before though, and 60s before the 20 set. I was by no means fresh.

10*5 at 55-60% with 60s rest is surprisingly hard. Harder than I anticipated.

It was amrap and set myself target of 20.
(edited 9 years ago)
Today.
Press
Not done a barbell press in like 6 months. So tested 1RM so I know how to program.
Racks busy so just cleaned it. Except I can't clean. Caught weight with straight legs. Who needs technique.
30*5
40*3
50*1
55*1
60*1
65*1
67.5*f

So based on 65 being 1rm

35*5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,8. Guess the testing before tanked my amrap set.

Speed bench, paused
20*10
40*8
50*5
60*3
67.5*3,3,3

CGBP
60*8,8,8

Chin pull downs
67*10,10,10,10,10

Facepulls
squat day. Feel like crap, hungover, tired, potentially coming down with something too. Meh.

Squat

112.5 9*3, dunno. Lost count on last set then cba.

Speed deadlifts
Up to 140*4,3

Sumo deadlift playing. Never done them before. Read an article by izzy saying basically everyone should sumo pull as its got higher potential.

Up to 180 for four singles. Got easier the more I did. Really feel it in hamstrings. Firm wasn't great though, shoulders too far forwards, in front of bar. Back straight though. Guess not got the hip flexibility to sit back enough. Video to follow

(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest