The Student Room Group

Edexcel Geography reviosn

anyone got any tips for geography revision, to me it looks like it'll take far too long to make notes, how do you revise for geography?
I thematically go through each of the modules and I have made myself a case study booklet which I look over once a day and try to learn a new fact or two. Then maybe just draw some diagrams of the key processes e.g. coastal erosion, how volcanoes work and go through some past papers. Also, do some mind maps for the impacts of geographical events e.g. if the coasts erode, what will the impacts be - people lose their homes, beaches are destroyed so less tourism, etc.

Hope this helps (somewhat)!
Ellie
Original post by DinosaursInHats
anyone got any tips for geography revision, to me it looks like it'll take far too long to make notes, how do you revise for geography?

If I were you I would buy the up to date Edexcel Geography revision guide and then read over the revision book but underline/ highlight key points and phrases before you start reading. This will help you to revise only the required info for the exam
Original post by staywithme
I thematically go through each of the modules and I have made myself a case study booklet which I look over once a day and try to learn a new fact or two. Then maybe just draw some diagrams of the key processes e.g. coastal erosion, how volcanoes work and go through some past papers. Also, do some mind maps for the impacts of geographical events e.g. if the coasts erode, what will the impacts be - people lose their homes, beaches are destroyed so less tourism, etc.

Hope this helps (somewhat)!
Ellie

thanks, i have tried making notes especially revison cards but i find it very time consuming to cover all required content. I think i will only be making revision cards on everything for the first paper where you get 2, 4 and 6 mark questions because in the second paper it is only 2 and 8 marks ( and the 2 marks are easy) so you just need case studies. How long do you spend on geography note making?
Original post by cooldudehjhjwbjd
If I were you I would buy the up to date Edexcel Geography revision guide and then read over the revision book but underline/ highlight key points and phrases before you start reading. This will help you to revise only the required info for the exam

thanks
Reply 5

You could try using flashcards to remember case studies, and attempting a past paper to get used to the proper question paper and the type of question they throw at you
Original post by kkboyk
You could try using flashcards to remember case studies, and attempting a past paper to get used to the proper question paper and the type of question they throw at you

thanks
Reply 7
Which unit do you think is harder 1 or 2?
Original post by hw1221
Which unit do you think is harder 1 or 2?

idk but i know for unit 1 i think you need more general knowledge for the 4 markers but 8 mark questions are tough:frown:
Reply 9
FlashCards really help for geography
I've made them for every topic in all three of the units
Also, when buying the book
Make sure you're aware of the specification your school teachers
Geography A or Geography B
Good luck:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VivekJ555
FlashCards really help for geography
I've made them for every topic in all three of the units
Also, when buying the book
Make sure you're aware of the specification your school teachers
Geography A or Geography B
Good luck:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, thanks, do you find revison cards/flash cards time consuming?
thanks, i have tried making notes especially revison cards but i find it very time consuming to cover all required content. I think i will only be making revision cards on everything for the first paper where you get 2, 4 and 6 mark questions because in the second paper it is only 2 and 8 marks ( and the 2 marks are easy) so you just need case studies. How long do you spend on geography note making?

my key piece of advice is to not worry about learning every fact - just learn a few key ones and write these out. And, are you doing Edexcel Geography B? If so, higher or lower tier? As each one has different questions - I'm doing B Higher and I've got 3 exams and 2 are on Geography we have studied, each contains 2, 4,6 mark questions for the first 4 topics and 2, 4, 8 in the latter!

Best of luck - and yes, mainly the 4 marks are theory based and the 6 marks require theory and case studies :smile: It took me about 20 minutes for each topic so about 2 hours for the whole of the first exam's case studies :smile:
Original post by staywithme
my key piece of advice is to not worry about learning every fact - just learn a few key ones and write these out. And, are you doing Edexcel Geography B? If so, higher or lower tier? As each one has different questions - I'm doing B Higher and I've got 3 exams and 2 are on Geography we have studied, each contains 2, 4,6 mark questions for the first 4 topics and 2, 4, 8 in the latter!

Best of luck - and yes, mainly the 4 marks are theory based and the 6 marks require theory and case studies :smile: It took me about 20 minutes for each topic so about 2 hours for the whole of the first exam's case studies :smile:

right yeah im on geography b higher like you, i actually did the 2013 paper off the edexcel board and didnt find it too bad, i think learning technique is important because looking at it you can get one mark for a point but if you extend it and elaborate (give what detail you would assume is implied when you write it ) you get a significantly greater amount of marks

Quick Reply

Latest