The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cat_lover39
Yes and southampton is my dream :frown:
But since that post I spoke to some medic friends and they said that there's little to no chance of getting in through the waiting list..

Sorry to hear, but firm your other and start making that your dream! Having one offer for medicine ins amazing, and I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever it is or else you wouldn't have applied 😊 if by chance you get off the waiting list, you can cross that bridge then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleDonkey
Sorry to hear, but firm your other and start making that your dream! Having one offer for medicine ins amazing, and I'm sure you'll enjoy wherever it is or else you wouldn't have applied ������ if by chance you get off the waiting list, you can cross that bridge then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't firm until you've recieved either a rejection or offer from all your choices.
Original post by Greysanatomi
You can't firm until you've recieved either a rejection or offer from all your choices.

Waiting lists usually are put through Ucas as a rejection though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LittleDonkey
Waiting lists usually are put through Ucas as a rejection though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I didn't know that - I've been wait listed for leicester and haven't been rejected!
Oh! For Barts it came through as a rejection!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 765
Waiting list...ah so close
Original post by WALMO
Waiting list...ah so close

On the waiting list for the BM6 course, do you know what the chances are of recieving an offer?
Reply 767
Original post by Joanne9495
On the waiting list for the BM6 course, do you know what the chances are of recieving an offer?

They went to the waiting list last year so maybe there is hope for a couple of people, no idea how long that list is though! I'm applying again this year anyway! Well done in getting waiting list though
I'm 100% in a rut about deciding where to firm, I have offers from Southampton and UEA. I've done all the norm research of pro's and con's between the two like the teaching styles (pbl vs traditional, having the bachelors in medical research) and rankings (which aren't really significant to me because they all have to adhere to gmc guidlines) but I was just wondering if there were any unique points of Southamptons course, and what the city is like to live in/Is is a student/vibrant city, and what Southampton is like for overall student satisfaction and student life etc. I need something to put one of them over the edge.
Literally any advise or pointers would be grreeeaaaaattlly appreciated. Congrats to everyone with offers and good luck to those on the waiting list :smile: x
Original post by hollie.p
I'm 100% in a rut about deciding where to firm, I have offers from Southampton and UEA. I've done all the norm research of pro's and con's between the two like the teaching styles (pbl vs traditional, having the bachelors in medical research) and rankings (which aren't really significant to me because they all have to adhere to gmc guidlines) but I was just wondering if there were any unique points of Southamptons course, and what the city is like to live in/Is is a student/vibrant city, and what Southampton is like for overall student satisfaction and student life etc. I need something to put one of them over the edge.
Literally any advise or pointers would be grreeeaaaaattlly appreciated. Congrats to everyone with offers and good luck to those on the waiting list :smile: x

This website, maybe? http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses

Also, I picked Southampton as an option because I was sure that the HCA placement would send me a long way into knowing how wards function at a day-to-day level and the dynamics of working in one from a different health professional's perspective. That said, it ticks a lot of the boxes that the GMC wants from 'Tomorrow's Doctors' in a pretty interesting way.

It also seems like a vibrant enough city. There's plenty of really good restaurants/pubs/clubs with decent student deals to choose from. Sea's pretty close by and some nice beaches are less than an hour away.

Don't know anything about UEA, though, I'm afraid.
Original post by 9910224
This website, maybe? http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses

Also, I picked Southampton as an option because I was sure that the HCA placement would send me a long way into knowing how wards function at a day-to-day level and the dynamics of working in one from a different health professional's perspective. That said, it ticks a lot of the boxes that the GMC wants from 'Tomorrow's Doctors' in a pretty interesting way.

It also seems like a vibrant enough city. There's plenty of really good restaurants/pubs/clubs with decent student deals to choose from. Sea's pretty close by and some nice beaches are less than an hour away.

Don't know anything about UEA, though, I'm afraid.

Thank you! I appreciate it :smile:
I just got an offer from a GEM course so am going to reject my Bm5 place - absolutely loved southampton though, hopefully someone from the waiting list hears something!

Good luck everyone, such a great medical school and I'm sure you'll all love it there!
Hi everyone 😄 just wondered which halls everyone's applying to and whether you're going part catered or self catered 😄 I'm stuck and don't know where to apply!!!
Original post by lilyrose11712
Hi everyone ������ just wondered which halls everyone's applying to and whether you're going part catered or self catered ������ I'm stuck and don't know where to apply!!!

When do you start applying for accommodation?
Original post by medactuary
When do you start applying for accommodation?

Anytime before the deadline. Makes no difference when.
Original post by Neostigmine
Anytime before the deadline. Makes no difference when.

which is august?
Anyone from the waiting list heard anything?
Original post by Joanne9495
Anyone from the waiting list heard anything?

I don't think anyone will hear now until results day.

Original post by medactuary
which is august?

It will say on the Southampton accommodation website but I think so yes
Original post by Neostigmine
I don't think anyone will hear now until results day.

It will say on the Southampton accommodation website but I think so yes

Dont uni's who put you on the wait list have to reply by the May 7th deadline?
Original post by Greysanatomi
Dont uni's who put you on the wait list have to reply by the May 7th deadline?

Unfortunately no. As I understand it, the waiting list is used when people don't meet their offer in August or have Southampton as an insurance and get the grades to go elsewhere, freeing up spaces on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending