The Student Room Group

Labour's "diversity" manifesto calls for radical anti-white social engineering

Every quota to increase "representation" of non-whites is directly discriminating against white applicants. Imagine the chorus of execration were, say, the BNP to propose direct discrimination against non-white applicants on the grounds of their skin colour. But this is a hard coded anti-white policy published by the Labour party as part of their 2015 manifesto, and not one journalist has called them out on it so far.

As Enoch Powell pointed out 47 years ago with the then Race Relations Act: "Here is the means of showing that the immigrant communities can organise to consolidate their members, to agitate and campaign against their fellow citizens, and to overawe and dominate the rest with the legal weapons which the ignorant and the ill-informed have provided. As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Labour will crack down on hate crime and use quotas to increase the number of non-white and working-class people in the UK’s top jobs, the party will declare on Tuesday.

Sadiq Khan, who will launch its Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic manifesto with the Labour leader, Ed Miliband, in Leicester, says the measures which include quotas for senior civil servants and new legal requirements for police recruitment will be the most far-reaching equalities programme for a generation.

Khan said: “We want a sea change in people’s attitudes and aspirations. People should be aiming for the top, whether it’s in the boardroom, the civil service or the criminal justice system, irrespective of their background.”

Labour will introduce an overarching race equality strategy for the first time, run from the centre of government, to ensure that new policies across departments promote equality and improve the life chances of those from the most disadvantaged backgrounds.

“In past governments, what we have had is well intentioned ministers in department A not talking to department B that is simply not good enough. For the first time, equality will be central to everything we do and driven forward across all departments in a coherent way”, Khan said.

Labour said the Liberal-Conservative coalition government had abandoned many of the measures designed to tackle discrimination and entrenched inequality, leading to a 50% rise in the number of young BAME people in long-term unemployment since 2010.

Khan described the figure, which was revealed last month, as shameful and said a focus on allowing everyone to fulfil their potential would be at the heart of any future Labour government.

He said: “If you’re under 25 and black, you’re twice as likely to be out of work as the national average. We simply cannot afford another five years of wasted talent under the Tories. It is a huge waste of the next generation’s skills and potential and it comes at a huge cost to young black and minority ethnic people, their families, taxpayers and the economy.”

Khan said senior positions in the civil service, police, parliament and the judiciary were still dominated by white, middle-class men.

“On the current fast stream civil service programme, almost everyone is Oxbridge educated and they are all white, so we will introduce a combination of diversity targets and quotas to address that including for working-class candidates”, he added.

Labour would also take action at the top level of the judiciary, where only one of 108 high court judges are of a BAME background, and all 12 supreme court judges are white, with 11 of them men.

Khan said: “We are going to take radical steps to address diversity within the judiciary, nothing is off the table, including quotas.”

Only 5% of police in England and Wales are BAME, compared to 14% of the general population, and Labour will introduce a legal responsibility on police forces to increase diversity and “reserve the right to change the law”.

The party will also change the way hate crime is dealt with in the face of rising anti-semitic and Islamophobic attacks, with the latter being specifically recorded by every police force for the first time.

Khan declared that repeat offenders would face stiffer sentences and hate crimes would be clearly marked on criminal records.

He said: “At the moment 14% of the country is BAME and this is all about fulfiling potential ... we all benefit by the potential of BAME Britons being fulfilled and everyone having the chance to play a full part in British life.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/13/labour-ethnic-minority-voters-manifesto-top-jobs-quotas-hate-crime-reforms

Scroll to see replies

Whites need to realize we will soon be a minority in our own countries followed by eventual extinction. It's unbelievable how people can't see the elefant in the room (mass immigration).
Original post by plstudent
Whites need to realize we will soon be a minority in our own countries followed by eventual extinction. It's unbelievable how people can't see the elefant in the room (mass immigration).

It's unbelievable that people can't spell elephant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by plstudent

We can't see it because it doesn't exist, it is the result of exaggeration by parties that aim to exploit people's deep rooted fears over immigrations
There is surely an important distinction between attempts to make political parties representative of the electorate and banning non-whites from joining your party, as the BNP did until they were forced by law to change their rules.

"The White Country" is no country I've heard of.
The problem with positive discrimination is always that it causes this sort of resentment.

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me that much that a middle-class career in a country whose adult population is still over 90% white... is dominated by white middle-class people.

Also, is Khan unaware that there are plenty of people who go to Oxbridge having come from working class or disadvantaged backgrounds? Putting them in the same bracket as Old-Etonians seems unfair.
Original post by Rinsed
The problem with positive discrimination is always that it causes this sort of resentment.

To be honest, it doesn't surprise me that much that a middle-class career in a country whose adult population is still over 90% white... is dominated by white middle-class people.

Also, is Khan unaware that there are plenty of people who go to Oxbridge having come from working class or disadvantaged backgrounds? Putting them in the same bracket as Old-Etonians seems unfair.

You can say 'plenty' in terms of numbers, but if they are under-represented, the number doesn't matter: saying 'plenty of people' is problematic..
Reply 7
Original post by Rinsed
Also, is Khan unaware that there are plenty of people who go to Oxbridge having come from working class or disadvantaged backgrounds?

Well, this is largely due to the government-mandated widening participation effort that unis have been working towards (and Oxbridge more than most) to encourage more working-class to apply for uni. I guess Labour's thinking is that if the system worked for unis, it ought to work for the civil service as well.
At what point will I, as a middle-class white male, be able to claim racial discrimination when I don't get a public sector job?

The answer is blindingly obvious, surely. Get rid of this proposed legislation, quotas, positive discrimination and all the other attempts to promote particular segments of society. Let's have equality of opportunity for all - everyone has the same chances and opportunities in life. It's no surprise the top echelons of the public and private sector are predominantly white - the people who are there now have moved up the ranks since before the benefits of diversity were generally accepted, and the effects take some time to trickle up. Let's promote the best people for the job - I'd be equally happy working for an all-black organisation as I would an all-white one - and lets stop giving Khan and others the opportunity to offend and anger whole sectors of society as he has done with this proposal.
Reply 9
I hate when people assume quotas mean that ethnic minorities are getting an easy ride when this isn't the case. Prejudices and discrimination still exist and therefore these people will be overlooked often in favour for their white counterparts even when equally qualified.

Even forgetting ethnic background people don't grt the opportunities growing up and obviously nurture can affect you're outcome. Therefore those with great potential would be missing out in other cases.

You're not being punished and you'll still dominate many areas. They're just trying to make things a bit more equal. I don't see how this will destabilise middle class white people or make you a minority.
Reply 10
Original post by Dez
Well, this is largely due to the government-mandated widening participation effort that unis have been working towards (and Oxbridge more than most) to encourage more working-class to apply for uni. I guess Labour's thinking is that if the system worked for unis, it ought to work for the civil service as well.

There is already quite a bit in the civil service, at least at the lower levels. The fast stream program does a summer internship aimed solely at minorities and low income families. If this pushes more of those groups into the fast stream program it will lead to more civil servants at higher levels. Certainly a lot more naturally than mandating x many minorities in higher positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Aj12
There is already quite a bit in the civil service, at least at the lower levels. The fast stream program does a summer internship aimed solely at minorities and low income families. If this pushes more of those groups into the fast stream program it will lead to more civil servants at higher levels. Certainly a lot more naturally than mandating x many minorities in higher positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup. People often forget that when talking about quotas, this is normally the sort of thing it refers to. I suppose technically it ought to be called a fairness program rather than an equality one.
Original post by Dez

Original post by Onde
You can say 'plenty' in terms of numbers, but if they are under-represented, the number doesn't matter: saying 'plenty of people' is problematic..

You've both missed the point completely. The point wasn't that I was saying 'enough people from working-class backgrounds get to go to Oxbridge so what are you worrying about?' Or that I was criticising the aim of getting more people from working-class backgrounds into the civil service. The point is that saying 'let's get rid of these Oxbridge people in favour of working-class people' is stupid, as they aren't mutually exclusive.

To simultaneously encourage our best universities to take more working-class students, and claim the civil service should take fewer of those students seems a bit silly. The people I know from Oxford who went into the civil service fast stream came from comprehensive school backgrounds. Is that good or bad for diversity, under this logic?
Reply 13
Original post by Duncan2012
At what point will I, as a middle-class white male, be able to claim racial discrimination when I don't get a public sector job?

The answer is blindingly obvious, surely. Get rid of this proposed legislation, quotas, positive discrimination and all the other attempts to promote particular segments of society. Let's have equality of opportunity for all - everyone has the same chances and opportunities in life. It's no surprise the top echelons of the public and private sector are predominantly white - the people who are there now have moved up the ranks since before the benefits of diversity were generally accepted, and the effects take some time to trickle up. Let's promote the best people for the job - I'd be equally happy working for an all-black organisation as I would an all-white one - and lets stop giving Khan and others the opportunity to offend and anger whole sectors of society as he has done with this proposal.

I agree with most of the things you've said, but the problem is everyone don't have equal opportunities.
Original post by kkboyk
I agree with most of the things you've said, but the problem is everyone don't have equal opportunities.

Really? Does everyone have the opportunity to receive free education until they're 18? Does everyone have the opportunity to apply to, and receive funding for, a university of their choosing and ability? Is everyone excluded, by law, from unfair hiring and employment practices? Apart from a very few select jobs in the military are women allowed to do everything a man can? Tell me, why, in this country, in this day and age, you don't think everyone has the same opportunities?
Original post by SmilingCherub
I hate when people assume quotas mean that ethnic minorities are getting an easy ride when this isn't the case. Prejudices and discrimination still exist and therefore these people will be overlooked often in favour for their white counterparts even when equally qualified.

Even forgetting ethnic background people don't grt the opportunities growing up and obviously nurture can affect you're outcome. Therefore those with great potential would be missing out in other cases.

You're not being punished and you'll still dominate many areas. They're just trying to make things a bit more equal. I don't see how this will destabilise middle class white people or make you a minority.

So if some working class white fella from a single parent household and council estate turns up for a job interview, how's he supposed to feel being told some ethnic minority is getting the job instead to meet a quota?
Original post by Duncan2012
Really? Does everyone have the opportunity to receive free education until they're 18? Does everyone have the opportunity to apply to, and receive funding for, a university of their choosing and ability? Is everyone excluded, by law, from unfair hiring and employment practices? Apart from a very few select jobs in the military are women allowed to do everything a man can? Tell me, why, in this country, in this day and age, you don't think everyone has the same opportunities?

That's a very basic narrow minded way of looking at it. So what if legally everybody has the right to education? Some people get to go to nice fancy schools, while others have no choice but to go to a local ****ty comp. That environment will help mould that individual in all sorts of ways, potentially disadvantaging them in ways that would have been different in a different school.

Also, the unfair hiring thing is difficult to prove if you've been victim to it. Furthermore, the victim may not even be aware. HR aren't exactly going to flat out say, sorry you're too Asian we can't hire you. It's more subtle.

I don't think it's a race thing, it's a class thing and should encompass working class white kids too, as well as ethnic minorities. If nothing is done the country will just stay they same and repeat the same mistakes if it's generally ex public school Oxbridge graduates running everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would never vote for a party that is a proponent of quotas - by implication, they believe 'diversity' = variance of ethnicity, gender, sexuality, rather than who people actually are. It is in actual fact extremely discriminatory to assume that just because I'm a minority that I'm going to be highly different to the white population of the UK.

Positive discrimination has negative repercussions both for the quality of the role in question (and for the civil service this could mean worse outcomes for everyone in the country), but also for the quota-minority themselves.

This is twofold: one, increased tensions when you think your colleague got their job because of positive discrimination, as opposed to the case where they make it entirely of their own accord; and two, it puts those quotaed for into a position for which they may not be suitably qualified. For example, in the USA, African Americans are heavily positively discriminated for in most universities and hence are accepted into top universities with, on average, much lower SAT scores than their white counterpar. This leads to many of them struggling to keep up with the pace and intensity of the course, and they drop out in much higher numbers than white students. Indeed, when California banned race-based positive discrimination, the number of qualifying black lawyers actually went up substantially as instead of being artificially boosted into tough programmes, they went to universities where they were taught at a level commensurate with their ability, allowing more of them to pass with good honours and succeed in their careers.

I don't really care about Labour vs the Conservatives on many issues as I think they're broadly similar. However, even as a minority who stands to gain substantially from Labour's plans, I cannot abide supporting a party of quotas. When given the choice, please vote for fairness and competence and against 'diversity of skin tones'; vote for the party with the least amount of quota-mongering.
(edited 9 years ago)
One nation, labour
Reply 19
and stupid students will still vote for the labour party regardless

i'm brown myself and think this is a disgrace and racist to white people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending