The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rockstar97
Hey guys!!!
Just booking accommodation and The ensuite at university park is full. Bit confused whether i should go for ensuite at jubilee or shared ensuite at university park? Is jubilee far from the medical school?

Depends where abouts on Jubilee. Newark/Southwell is about a 15 min walk, can be less if you walk a little faster (I'd say I'd do the walk in 10)

Original post by Nottie
20 mins walk. Although that depends how fast you walk. My bf can make it in 10 mins but we usually walk together so it's longer.

Nottie (not sure if you want me to use your real name :P) lives at SPC currently so it's further away?
Original post by unknownone
Depends where abouts on Jubilee. Newark/Southwell is about a 15 min walk, can be less if you walk a little faster (I'd say I'd do the walk in 10)

Nottie (not sure if you want me to use your real name :P) lives at SPC currently so it's further away?

haha but boyfriend lives in Southwell so I count from there :P.
For those of you who still haven't heard...
I phoned this morning and was told that not all updates have been made on UCAS yet, but now the admissions manager is away until Thursday, so those of us still waiting won't hear before Thursday. :frown:
Original post by amyamyb
I phoned this morning and was told that not all updates have been made on UCAS yet, but now the admissions manager is away until Thursday, so those of us still waiting won't hear before Thursday. :frown:

I really really feel for you, that sucks so much !! Good luck though x
Reply 1164
Original post by amyamyb

by updates did they mean offers and rejections (so there are still some offers to come)???
Original post by jgilly
by updates did they mean offers and rejections (so there are still some offers to come)???

The lady on the phone didn't really say... I did ask whether all offers have been given out. She just said that not all decisions have been put on UCAS yet, and they have to wait for the admissions manager before these are sent out.

I'm only speculating, but do you think it's possible that they haven't made a decision about our applications yet? Seeing as they're waiting for the admissions manager, it could be possible that final decisions need to be made about offers/rejections, and maybe we are on hold until they work out how many people firm?
How often and important are full-body dissections in the course?
Original post by brbwafflesyay
How often and important are full-body dissections in the course?

There is no full-body dissection until after Christmas.
After Christmas, you have one 3 hour session per week (usually on a Thursday or Friday).

In terms of importance, 10% of the 'SF1' module is scored from an 'in-course assessment'. This includes the quality of your group's dissection, the score you get in your dissection session for the question you get asked, and the average score for your group's questions as a whole.

The quality of your group's dissection each week is marked out of 5; this is scored on whether you've shown the different things on that week's criteria (for example, specific muscles, nerves, arteries etc).
Over about 15 mins sometime in the last half hour of the dissection session, everyone is asked a question relating to that week's anatomy scored out of 5. That also contributes to your in-course assessment score. How your group perform in the questions as a whole also contributes.

Sounds a bit daunting but if you calculate it, each week's scores don't count for much overall at all! It's just the med school's way to make sure you keep up with the anatomy because there's quite alot of anatomy to learn, it'd be really difficult to cram it at the end of term for exams!

I know people that highly enjoy dissection, and others that aren't great fans but they cope alright :smile: Any other questions?
Has anyone received an offer pack in the post yet? Do Nottingham even send them out? I got one from all my other offers...
There is no full-body dissection until after Christmas.
After Christmas, you have one 3 hour session per week (usually on a Thursday or Friday).

In terms of importance, 10% of the 'SF1' module is scored from an 'in-course assessment'. This includes the quality of your group's dissection, the score you get in your dissection session for the question you get asked, and the average score for your group's questions as a whole.

The quality of your group's dissection each week is marked out of 5; this is scored on whether you've shown the different things on that week's criteria (for example, specific muscles, nerves, arteries etc).
Over about 15 mins sometime in the last half hour of the dissection session, everyone is asked a question relating to that week's anatomy scored out of 5. That also contributes to your in-course assessment score. How your group perform in the questions as a whole also contributes.

Sounds a bit daunting but if you calculate it, each week's scores don't count for much overall at all! It's just the med school's way to make sure you keep up with the anatomy because there's quite alot of anatomy to learn, it'd be really difficult to cram it at the end of term for exams!

I know people that highly enjoy dissection, and others that aren't great fans but they cope alright :smile: Any other questions?

That's really thorough and helpful, thanks! What can we conduct our BMedSci research on and where?
Has anyone received an offer pack in the post yet? Do Nottingham even send them out? I got one from all my other offers...

Not yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

which catered accommodation would you recommend for medics on University Park? Thinking about firming Nottingham and would like to apply for accommodation as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Original post by julianl
Hey,

which catered accommodation would you recommend for medics on University Park? Thinking about firming Nottingham and would like to apply for accommodation as soon as possible.

Thanks!

You can't choose a catered hall, you just apply for the room type you want and get randomly allocated a hall. Hope this helps!
Original post by unibanana
You can't choose a catered hall, you just apply for the room type you want and get randomly allocated a hall. Hope this helps!

Good to know,

I looked at the room types, but would you say that ensuite is necessary? I live in a boarding school at the moment and share one bathroom with about 20 other guys and it works well. Is it very different in that case?
What room type would you recommend?
Original post by julianl
Good to know,

I looked at the room types, but would you say that ensuite is necessary? I live in a boarding school at the moment and share one bathroom with about 20 other guys and it works well. Is it very different in that case?
What room type would you recommend?

There's actually no ensuite rooms left on campus and I filled out the form on Monday night! I mean it's up to you but I think you share it with much less than 20. I've gone for single study :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1176
Original post by unibanana
There's actually no ensuite rooms left on campus and I filled out the form on Monday night! I mean it's up to you but I think you share it with much less than 20. I've gone for single study :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My daughter is in a single study on Uni Park, shares a shower/toilets with several others - hasn't had any problems, you're never more than about a 10 metre walk from facilities.
That's really thorough and helpful, thanks! What can we conduct our BMedSci research on and where?

I am not entirely sure, sorry! I'll worry about it when I get to that stage :P
But I do know you can do research from a wide range of medicine. I'm out at the moment but will look it up for you some more when I get in
Hey guys, I got an offer a week back. My offer for the IB is 36 points 6,6,6 at higher level but this does not include the three core points. Did anyone get a different offer? Or thinks that the offer is 36/45 and not 36/42. thank you :smile:
I am not entirely sure, sorry! I'll worry about it when I get to that stage :P
But I do know you can do research from a wide range of medicine. I'm out at the moment but will look it up for you some more when I get in

Ah than you! That's so nice of you lol. I just accepted my unconditional offer from Notts and declined all the others because I was convinced this is the best course for me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending