The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7180
Original post by AR_95
Would you take Klopp right now over Rodgers?

He'd have to be pretty insane not to.
Original post by samba
I don't think you could get much better than Klopp when Wenger retires. His record is awesome.

Dunno why he's been dismissed considering he won 2 BuLi titles against Bayern (aka refuting the argument Arsenal fans have about not being able to compete with bigger clubs), got them to the CL Final, beating Madrid no less in the semi's, then beating them again the next year (albeit going out). Then all his best players get poached by the same club and he gets injuries to key players. Really don't think it can be attributed to him, do people forget the way he destroyed Arsenal earlier this season...
Original post by AR_95

I think the answer to this is yes and no really. Brendan's a young manager making a name for himself and he's improved a Liverpool side, signed young players who it makes sense for him to follow through with this vision and see where it gets them, rather than a new manager coming in and wanting his own players etc.

Meanwhile Wenger is coming towards the end of the cycle, it makes sense for a younger hungrier manager to come in. Also you won't get a better manager than him.
Unfortunately we're likely to miss out on Klopp with Wenger in his contract until 2017. Klopp looks like he's taking a season out and he's always said he needs to speak the lingo to work so that rules out La Liga so...

Worst case scenario is Mourinho leaving Chelsea and him taking over, couldnt stand to see a nice fella like him managing them. Utd could easily dispose of LVG by next season as well but obviously City need a manager now. If I had to call it I'd say Utd will get him in 2016.

Dont want Arsene to leave anyway so not all that fussed I guess but would have been nice had Klopp been available in 2017...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

Yes. Definitively. Rodgers is a fantastic young manager and one of the best around, but Klopp is one or two tiers above until Rodgers actually wins anything. And Rodgers is younger, it's not a slight on him that he's behind in career development, but yes, easily I'd take Klopp.

Klopp is level with Simeone and only behind Mourinho, Guardiola and Ancelotti in terms of club managing pedigree in the modern era, and I'd take Klopp above Carlo too.
Klopp and Simmeone are ahead of Mourinho and Guardiola imo
Would take Klopp in a heartbeat but the board will show faith in Wenger again. You can't question Klopps managerial ability based on one half season crisis which wasn't even directly down to him a lot of the time.
Original post by Depleted
I think the answer to this is yes and no really. Brendan's a young manager making a name for himself and he's improved a Liverpool side, signed young players who it makes sense for him to follow through with this vision and see where it gets them, rather than a new manager coming in and wanting his own players etc.

Meanwhile Wenger is coming towards the end of the cycle, it makes sense for a younger hungrier manager to come in. Also you won't get a better manager than him.

It's a good post and I agree with it, but Klopp could easily come in and take over from Brendan's work so far.
Original post by Zürich

Would love a Simeone/Mourinho showdown. Scenes when Cholo pokes JT in the eye.
Don't know why I'm saying this but oh well. Our away fans are so overrated. Most Arsenal fans I see always bang on how our support away from home is 'best in the country' and other similar things, and it's just not true. There are so many replica shirts in our away end, so many fans who'd grass you up to a steward for swearing or standing in the wrong seat (this is from personal experience). You even get people sitting down near the front rows! We don't really sing that much, and when we do it's the same, boring chants. Yes we take large numbers but numbers mean **** all if the mentality isn't there.
Reply 7190
Original post by Zürich

Guardiola arguably, but no way Mourinho. He's been poor for the last 3 or 4 years imo, but before that he was an absolute beast in that everywhere he went he turned things to gold. In multiple countries, over multiple years.

Rodgers is only 5 years younger than Klopp btw.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Would take Klopp in a heartbeat but the board will show faith in Wenger again. You can't question Klopps managerial ability based on one half season crisis which wasn't even directly down to him a lot of the time.

Rightly so. In the years since Wenger's Emirates project has started paying dividends in terms of team building we've attracted world class talent, won the Cup, should retain the Cup and moved up to 2nd probably with the core of a potentially title winning team clearly in place with decent age diversity etc.

Wenger's doing a fine job and we're basically midway through his last cycle that gives him one last chance at another title.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
It's a good post and I agree with it, but Klopp could easily come in and take over from Brendan's work so far.

Yeah I agree. I guess I meant in terms of the sense it makes relatively (Liverpool to Arsenal), and it would be a little unfair on Brendan but I suppose that's football. Expect to him to get the City job most likely anyway.
Point wasn't that he isn't good enough to take over one day but instead now is not the right time. It's not like our players haven't left in the past either and the injury argument can also include us too. We're talking about a squad that's only 1 or two signings away from making a title bid and we've been playing our best football after a long time.

At no point did I say Klopp wouldn't be good enough to take us further one day, but it's plain obvious how much of a risk it would be to outright replace Wenger with Klopp this window and the repercussions it may have going onto next season. No one can predict how long it'll actually take for Klopp to adapt to the premier league either.

I don't get why everyone's kicking a fuss about this either. Not as if it's unfair on me to be hesitant on the situation considering the position both clubs are in right now.
I'd happily take Klopp at the end of Wenger's contract but to outright sack Wenger this summer would be ridiculous. It's just the risk of falling back worries me, that's all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Would love a Simeone/Mourinho showdown. Scenes when Cholo pokes JT in the eye.

Mourinho isn't even hard, he's just a cretin. Simmeone would gouge his eyes out before Jose had time to think.

Alex Ferguson 1985 vs Simmeone is the one.
Original post by samba
Guardiola arguably, but no way Mourinho. He's been poor for the last 3 or 4 years imo, but before that he was an absolute beast in that everywhere he went he turned things to gold. In multiple countries, over multiple years.

Rodgers is only 5 years younger than Klopp btw.

Cant really think of one thing Mourinho does better than Simmeone tbh. Defensive organisation, recruitment, man motivation, tactics etc.

Simmeone is just Mourinho on steroids.
Original post by Zürich

Barcelona
La Liga: 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11
Copa del Rey: 2008–09, 2011–12
Supercopa de España: 2009, 2010, 2011
UEFA Champions League: 2008–09, 2010–11
UEFA Super Cup: 2009, 2011
FIFA Club World Cup: 2009, 2011
Bayern Munich
Bundesliga: 2013–14
DFB-Pokal: 2013–14
UEFA Super Cup: 2013
FIFA Club World Cup: 2013
Porto (2002–2004)
Primeira Liga (2): 2002–03, 2003–04
Taça de Portugal (1): 2002–03
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira (1): 2003
UEFA Champions League (1): 2003–04
UEFA Cup (1): 2002–03

Chelsea (2004–2007)
Premier League (2): 2004–05, 2005–06, 2014-15
FA Cup (1): 2006–07
Football League Cup (2): 2004–05, 2006–07, 2014-15
FA Community Shield (1): 2005

Internazionale (2008–2010)
Serie A (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
Coppa Italia (1): 2009–10
Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2008
UEFA Champions League (1): 2009–10

Real Madrid (2010–13)
La Liga (1): 2011–12
Copa del Rey (1): 2010–11
Supercopa de España (1): 2012

vs

Bundesliga: 2010–11,[3] 2011–12[4]

DFB-Pokal: 2011–12[6]

DFL-Supercup: 2013,[24] 2014[24]

Estudiantes

Argentine Primera División (1): Torneo Apertura 2006

River Plate

Argentine Primera División (1): Torneo Clausura 2008

Atlético Madrid

La Liga (1): 2013–14

Copa del Rey (1): 2012–13

Supercopa de España (1): 2014

UEFA Europa League (1): 2011–12

UEFA Super Cup (1): 2012

Reply 7197
Yeah I agree. I guess I meant in terms of the sense it makes relatively (Liverpool to Arsenal), and it would be a little unfair on Brendan but I suppose that's football. Expect to him to get the City job most likely anyway.

Think we'll see Rafa in the City job if he doesn't go to Madrid, and Ancelotti if he does.
Original post by AR_95
Point wasn't that he isn't good enough to take over one day but instead now is not the right time. It's not like our players haven't left in the past either and the injury argument can also include us too. We're talking about a squad that's only 1 or two signings away from making a title bid and we've been playing our best football after a long time.

At no point did I say Klopp wouldn't be good enough to take us further one day, but it's plain obvious how much of a risk it would be to outright replace Wenger with Klopp this window and the repercussions it may have going onto next season. No one can predict how long it'll actually take for Klopp to adapt to the premier league either.

I don't get why everyone's kicking a fuss about this either. Not as if it's unfair on me to be hesitant on the situation considering the position both clubs are in right now.
I'd happily take Klopp at the end of Wenger's contract but to outright sack Wenger this summer would be ridiculous. It's just the risk of falling back worries me, that's all.

When is the next time that a manager of Klopp's quality will be available to succeed Wenger?

Simeone is at Atletico till 2020, Pep will have better offers and Jose isn't going to manage Arsenal. It's not as if it's Klopp or die, but you'd be best served getting him while you can.
Original post by Zürich
Cant really think of one thing Mourinho does better than Simmeone tbh. Defensive organisation, recruitment, man motivation, tactics etc.

Simmeone is just Mourinho on steroids.

Trophy winning, and that's something you can't argue with.

Latest