The Student Room Group

MSc in CFD : Cranfield or Leeds? Help !!! Your views on the matter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Could you shed some light on job prospective since you finished the MSc program. Are you employed yet ?
I was often told Indians are sent back quickly and not given a chance to look for jobs with any Defense and R&D industry due to citizenship. This thread was of great help guys! Please reply. Thanks! :biggrin:
Hey....
Anyone out there?
Original post by cfdmaybe
Could you shed some light on job prospective since you finished the MSc program. Are you employed yet ?
I was often told Indians are sent back quickly and not given a chance to look for jobs with any Defense and R&D industry due to citizenship. This thread was of great help guys! Please reply. Thanks! :biggrin:

The problem with defense is, that it is very difficult to get a job, as soon as you haven't the citizenship of one memberstate of the company, but any other industries are still open. I have no idea, how long you are allowed to stay in the country after you have finished your degree, but a part from defense your nationality isn't a hindrance per se. It does not make it easier of course, either, but it is doable. Sadly the job market in Europe right now isn't the best, so it might be easier to get a job in India within European companies.
Hey cfdmaybe,

Sorry, I was held up with some things..
Anyway, I think Nathanielle pretty much answered your question. I couldn't have said it any better. Just one clarification : you will be holding a Tier 4 Student Visa with multiple entry status and will be allowed to stay for 60 days after your course ends.
Reply 64
Hi callmejackie,
Must say you are brilliant in sharing your experience with us who are still contemplating about Cranfield, I guess Uni PR should pay you some money for taking timeout of your busy schedules to answer various queries.. Coming to my query, it is about the CFD course that you were talking about? Now I have done bachelors in Chemical Eng. with very little training in CFD simulation, But I think I want to brush up my skills in this field.Do the student need to have any computer programming (C++) skills prior to the course? Plus how is the "short-course" in CFD compare with MSc?
In the end, were you/your classmates able to find a job within CFD field in an engineering company?
Thanks a ton,
GSingh
Hi Guruasis,

Thanks for your compliment. When I was enrolling, information like these were hard to get. Hence, I make it a point to answer the queries as and when possible, as detailed as possible. Nothing special about it.

Coming back to your query,
Yes, some form of programming skills are desirable. I am a self taught programmer ( If I may call myself that !!! ). All I had is the fundamental knowledge of algorithms and flowcharts. These two things are common for ANY language you take. The only difference between these different languages is in its syntax. The good thing is that, if you are lacking in syntax, there is always forums like the ever popular "StackOverflow" to clear your queries. The idea here is to get the basics right. You can learn them by programming in any language of your choice, be it C++, Fortran, Python, Matlab etc.. Once you get a hang of how the computer programs are being executed ( also compiled ), then you are far ahead of a lot of others.

Now, about the short course in CFD : I have no personal experience to judge the content. But, one thing I can say is that the MSc teaches you a whole lot more than what a short course can possible cover. Moreover, its some subtle things that you pick up during the course that counts when compared to the slides from the short course. So, if you ask me, I would say : If you have the money and the time, always go for the MSc.

Also, on your background : Chem. Eng. is good enough to start off. That will remain in your core. Through the MSc, you will actually be learning the computational method of solving the chemical engineering problems.

Good luck.
Reply 66
Hello everybody,

I have received a conditional offer for 2015/2016 admission. Anybody else joining the course next year?

I have a small question regarding the subject "The Role of Experimental Data in CFD". Does it involve practical experience with measurement techniques or it is limited to theoretical notions?

Thanks!
Original post by Epic-o
Hello everybody,

I have received a conditional offer for 2015/2016 admission. Anybody else joining the course next year?

I have a small question regarding the subject "The Role of Experimental Data in CFD". Does it involve practical experience with measurement techniques or it is limited to theoretical notions?

Thanks!

I will also join it in the 15/16 season. No idea about the scope of this module.
Hi Epic-O, and InduCranf

Congratulations on getting accepted.

The Role of Experimental Data in CFD will take you through the process of collecting experimental data which can be used to do a CFD analysis. The module is short compared to few others. It includes a few theoretical aspects and and you will actually do a wind tunnel test on a small airfoil section. You will be then post processing it and there will be specific instructions as to what analysis you need to do on that.

Please get back to me if you have any more queries.
Hi,

At least this year there has not been an experimental test for this module. Actually different experimental techniques has been covered from a theoretical point of view. I guess that every year this may differ in function of the time scheduled for the module. The assignment involving this module was to present experimental solutions (from the theoretical standpoint) that would be suitable to study different applications in accordance to what we were told in class.
Hope this helps.
Reply 70
Hi everyone,
I got unconditional offer letter in Msc CFD.
One thing i am very curious about that, is it difficult for UK graduates to compete for funded Phd(in other European countries) because of one year Msc v/s 2 year masters in rest of world
Secondly, job prospectus? 4 months extended visa is enough or should we start searching before thesis
Reply 71
One more thing
Company based thesis: In cranfield's website they have writtent about this. Will they allot thesis topic for the same?
Reply 72
Hello aks,

I had completed MSc. in CFD in Cranfield (2012-2013), and I am currently doing a PhD in Europe, If you are looking for a job in the UK , I would say not to have high hopes but there are lot of PhD opportunities in Europe which are fully funded.
Reply 73
P.S : Other than India, rest of the world do not care about the duration of the Master's course and your degree is well recognized!
Reply 74
dpkn2000,

Is it really that difficult to find a job after completing the MSc? Did your colleagues face similar problems? The ease to find a position in the industry after completing this MSc was one of the reasons that made me apply for it so your words dissapoint me a bit.
Reply 75
Original post by dpkn2000
Hello aks,

I had completed MSc. in CFD in Cranfield (2012-2013), and I am currently doing a PhD in Europe, If you are looking for a job in the UK , I would say not to have high hopes but there are lot of PhD opportunities in Europe which are fully funded.

Thanx for replying
great to hear about PhD opportunities, but because of loan i wounder how i will going to manage.
btw, you are still in cranfield?
Reply 76
Hi,

Finding a job in UK after MSc. is quite hard due to work permit issues, people had found jobs
elsewhere, but it all depends on how well you perform in your coursework.

No, I am not at Cranfield.
Hey buddies,

Sorry to break it into you. Cranfield does not guarantee ultimate power. But, it does guarantee one thing - few minutes of any of your possible employers.

Employers who are really into the core of CFD code development or process or consulting, would have, most defenitely heard of three names : Imperial, Cranfield, and Manchester / Leeds.
You submit a resume with a Cranfield title, you are guaranteed that they will 'at least' look into your resume, and seriously consider it. After which, them tossing it into the heap of rejects, or sending you an invitation letter - all depends on what was on the resume.

Me and dpkn2000 are classmates who rolled out exactly on the same day. He had his PhD lined up already - I understand that it took him significant amount of time and effort to track down the type of work he wanted to do, and follow it up with the professor / advisor.
On the other side, I am employed currently. Would have loved to do a PhD, but, the few threads I followed did not materialise into anything productive. Hence, job.
Comfortably employed, when I look back, I can still say that the interview process was not easy.

So, FOCUS. Do your course well. Things will fall into place.
By mid course- you will have a sufficiently good picture of what in CFD world captivates you. Channel your thoughts and build up on it. READ. READ A LOT.
Start searching for jobs that fit you. Prepare dedicated resume for each position instead of using a general resume for all..
And, do us proud.
Reply 78
Hi,
I've just got an offer for MSc in CFD and I'm quite terrified.
I did my BSc in a totally different field, accidentally got interested in CFD and just applied... but the fact is I know literally nothing about it and unfortunately I'm not a genius :wink: So my question is - is it possible to do this course without any adequate background? Do you think is it possible to gain essential knowledge before October? What should I start with? I would like to try but after reading this conversation I'm afraid that the course might be too difficult for me.

Thanks for answers!
Reply 79
Hello,

I would suggest reading about basic fluid mechanics,a primer on partial differential equations and programming. Programming in any language would help, but make sure you understand the concepts.
out of curiosity, on what subject did you do your BSc.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending