The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Rightly so. In the years since Wenger's Emirates project has started paying dividends in terms of team building we've attracted world class talent, won the Cup, should retain the Cup and moved up to 2nd probably with the core of a potentially title winning team clearly in place with decent age diversity etc.

Wenger's doing a fine job and we're basically midway through his last cycle that gives him one last chance at another title.

Agree. The instability it would cause would be detrimental to our already pretty weak (albeit improving) mentality, especially considering our form at the minute. I didn't word it right but if the circumstances were right i'd take him in a heartbeat, but then we have the question of by the time the circumstances are right who is to say he will be available, and if he isn't who would we get thats better? It's either take the risk of instability or take the risk that someone suitable is available in the future.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
When is the next time that a manager of Klopp's quality will be available to succeed Wenger?

Simeone is at Atletico till 2020, Pep will have better offers and Jose isn't going to manage Arsenal. It's not as if it's Klopp or die, but you'd be best served getting him while you can.

Fair enough then. I don't disagree with the idea that we won't be able to find a better replacement, but I highly doubt he'll show immediate results as some fans were hoping out for when calling for his name earlier on in the season. My point stands though that there'd be a significant risk of us missing out on top 4 next season if he were to take over.
When is the next time that a manager of Klopp's quality will be available to succeed Wenger?

Simeone is at Atletico till 2020, Pep will have better offers and Jose isn't going to manage Arsenal. It's not as if it's Klopp or die, but you'd be best served getting him while you can.

Things change quickly in football. For a start new managers will emerge by 2017 and the likes of Ancelotti are certain to be looking for work. What Arsenal fans need to accept is that Arsene Wenger is completely unique and he cant actually be replaced. We'll just have to make the best of that day when it comes.

There are plenty of great managers who've gone under the radar anyway. Favre at Monchengladbach for instance is somebody who nobody ever talks about but what he has done is outstanding.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Agree. The instability it would cause would be detrimental to our already pretty weak (albeit improving) mentality, especially considering our form at the minute. I didn't word it right but if the circumstances were right i'd take him in a heartbeat, but then we have the question of by the time the circumstances are right who is to say he will be available, and if he isn't who would we get thats better? It's either take the risk of instability or take the risk that someone suitable is available in the future.

Well this is pretty much the point I was trying to make but people started assuming I didn't rate Klopp lol
Original post by Zürich
Things change quickly in football. For a start new managers will emerge by 2017 and the likes of Ancelotti are certain to be looking for work. What Arsenal fans need to accept is that Arsene Wenger is completely unique and he cant actually be replaced. We'll just have to make the best of that day when it comes.

There are plenty of great managers who've gone under the radar anyway. Favre at Monchengladbach for instance is somebody who nobody ever talks about but what he has done is outstanding.

Yes Zurich it's really easy to dump in hipster names like Lucian Favre and Vincenzo Montella etc, great managers. There isn't a shortage of them.

But Klopp is better than all of them. Nobody has elevated a lower mid table team into title winners in the space of three years like Klopp has, and nobody has maintained that success whilst losing their best players.

There are other great managers that would be on the market if Arsenal went in for them. But nobody as good, or most importantly, as proven, as Klopp.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

Highly doubt that. In a worst case scenario there'd be short term set backs as the players got used to a new manager's methods. This summer there's actually a full pre-season so it's not as if it'd even be that bad. And it's not as if Arsenal usually start the season all guns blazing under Wenger anyway. And it's questionable how much managerial input Wenger is even having at the present moment; there's no doubt that he's fostered a style of play and improved players, but what's to say that Klopp couldn't do the same (ie with players that are already improved, and further improve the ones he has).

And that's without going into the whole 'new manager' buzz that would come about at Arsenal. At BVB he took them from 13th to 6th in his first season, and then to a title within another two. And it's kinda hard to understate how ****e that 13th place squad actually was.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Well this is pretty much the point I was trying to make but people started assuming I didn't rate Klopp lol

Well mainly because you said
Not sold on Klopp AT ALL. If he's struggling in the Bundesliga then I can only imagine how he'd cope with the premier league.
Wenger has lost his eye for talent most of his signings are not that good
Well mainly because you said

A lot of Arsenal fans had this illusion that Klopp would come in and we'd immediately see a massive change in the team, that we'd become title winners and actually be able to be a presence in Europe. The idea that he'd come in and hit the ground running is what I'm not sold with because I still think the repercussions of replacing Wenger at a time like this would cost us badly.

Obviously there's no garuantee to whether he would hit the ground running or it'd take him a year or two to adapt to the league.
Not to forget that in the Bundesliga they're only really competing with Bayern. In the PL he'd have to overcome Chelsea/UTD and City if they manage not to implode.
Then there's always Liverpool who are ever so close to becoming regular top 4 contenders too.
Original post by AR_95
A lot of Arsenal fans had this illusion that Klopp would come in and we'd immediately see a massive change in the team, that we'd become title winners and actually be able to be a presence in Europe. The idea that he'd come in and hit the ground running is what I'm not sold with because I still think the repercussions of replacing Wenger at a time like this would cost us badly.

Obviously there's no garuantee to whether he would hit the ground running or it'd take him a year or two to adapt to the league.
Not to forget that in the Bundesliga they're only really competing with Bayern. In the PL he'd have to overcome Chelsea/UTD and City if they manage not to implode.
Then there's always Liverpool who are ever so close to becoming regular top 4 contenders too.

It's not like his style of play isn't suited to the PL though? You're also forgetting that he'd have:

A) a fairly large transfer budget to bring in who he likes
B) basically a ready-made squad which needs a couple additions to complete

The style of play he implements is totally suited to the PL and is (I think) quite similar to how Liverpool were playing towards the back end of last season, high press with explosiveness up top and pace. And in any case the argument of adapting to PL isn't really relevant to BuLi which is quick paced anyway. He didn't just compete with Bayern, there's Schalke, Werder, Wolfsburg who are capable of challenging too.
Original post by AR_95

In terms of playing style, Bundesliga and PL aren't too far apart, the two most similar top five leagues. Similar paced games, lots of transitions and goals. Arsenal are already used to playing football on the ground and Klopp already has the raw tools and high energy young players in Ramsey, Sanchez, Ox, Bellerin to thrive in his pressing game. You'd definitely be better in Europe under him than under Wenger, and that'd be an immediate change.

Besides this is a tangent; I just replied to why people were making fun of you not rating Klopp - because you said as much.
Is Klopp a better manager than Wenger? Yes. He hasn't achieved much over the length of his career, but by modern standards, he certainly is. He has revolutionised a scouting network at Dortmund and is much more savvy with technological advancements, but he is from Wenger's school of thinking.

He doesn't like operating with a large squad. He hasn't adapted since his pressing game has been sussed out. His squad are inundated with injuries throughout the season, which exposes the lack of depth when competing on four fronts. He has lots to prove, and he's certainly capable of doing that at Arsenal.

I'd say you were favourites behind City to land him.
Original post by Mackay

I'd say you were favourites behind City to land him.

Regardless of whatever opinions the fans have of him, there is no chance the board will sack Wenger to sign Klopp this summer.
Original post by Depleted
He didn't just compete with Bayern, there's Schalke, Werder, Wolfsburg who are capable of challenging too.

It's just nonsense to say stuff like that (from AR) because even if his competition was 'just' Bayern in BuLi, because Klopp was managing 'just' Dortmund. Arsenal's squad is far better than Dortmunds. Also, even though it was 'just' Bayern, it was Bayern teams managed by van Gaal, Heynckes and Guardiola (5 CLs won between them). Klopp broke a 40 year old points tally record in the BuLi, and countless other records.

Trying to discredit his achievements in Germany is just dumb.
Yeah agree with this.

Original post by AR_95

Original post by Zürich
Unfortunately we're likely to miss out on Klopp with Wenger in his contract until 2017. Klopp looks like he's taking a season out and he's always said he needs to speak the lingo to work so that rules out La Liga so...

Worst case scenario is Mourinho leaving Chelsea and him taking over, couldnt stand to see a nice fella like him managing them. Utd could easily dispose of LVG by next season as well but obviously City need a manager now. If I had to call it I'd say Utd will get him in 2016.

Dont want Arsene to leave anyway so not all that fussed I guess but would have been nice had Klopp been available in 2017...

There's no reason why if he's taking a year out he wouldn't be able to learn Spanish in that time, so I don't think la liga is a definite no. That being said there isn't really anywhere to go unless Simeone leaves Atletico (unlikely), he isn't big enough for Real or small enough for Barca.

If he's taking a year out then city or united seems the logical move, Van Gaal doesn't seem happy to stay on for too long and is already planning his retirement party tbh although I don't see why he'd go to city considering the only way they're going is downwards.

Doubt he'd take two or three years put for arsenal job either
Original post by al_94
Wenger has lost his eye for talent most of his signings are not that good

He's made some great signings even in the past 3 years.

Giroud £9.6m, Cazorla £13m, Oxlade £12m and even the likes of Monreal for £9m have been good in the end. When you consider that Mangala cost City £35m, Lovren/Sakho £20m and that Spurs have spunked more on the likes of Chirches, Fazio, Gabriel for £13m looks like a smart move too. Not even mentioning the likes of Koscielny who cost £10m.

Cant have it both ways anyway. When we were skint Wenger worked miracles and obviously got more rough gems, now that he can afford to buy the finished product in Alexis, Ozil etc you can hardly complain that he's not signing Vieira for £2.5m any more.
European powerhouse Schalke.
Original post by leinad2012
he isn't big enough for Real or small enough for Barca.

lol u wot
lol u wot

Barca go for small time managers who few have heard of recently, Klopp isn't that.

Real go for the 2 time champions league winners or big boys for the last decade, Ancellotti Mou etc.

Klopp is neither.

Tbh I'd rather we took a Rafa over Klopp when Wenger does eventually leave, if there's one thing we've leanrnt from the Moyesy incident is that the only way entitled fans and the media will respect you is if you're a big name, can you imagine what would have happened if Moyes played a 3-5-2 and drew?

Latest