The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
x

So Wigan are really going to get relegated from the Championship? All hope seems lost now. It's been absolutely soul destroying for them these past few years. Relegated from the prem, now relegated from the championship it's looking likely. Poor Yeovil and Wigan :frown:

I think Scunthorpe upwards will be safe in League One. Port Vale have the worst form of the bottom 7 going into the final three matches, and MK Dons are on a charge and sit just three points behind 2nd placed Preston who have been struggling for wins.

Colchester are surely down, given their thumping last night.

I'd expect Coventry to probably pick up points from Crawley on the final day, and maybe Bristol City this weekend given the fact they've already achieved promotion.

Scunthorpe have the benefit of a game in hand, so I'd say the final two relegation places will be between Crawley, Leyton Orient, Notts County and Crewe. While Port Vale are in poor form, they would need two of the aforementioned sides to pick up two wins out of the final three games to see themselves dragged down into it which I can't see happening.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
So Wigan are really going to get relegated from the Championship? All hope seems lost now. It's been absolutely soul destroying for them these past few years. Relegated from the prem, now relegated from the championship it's looking likely. Poor Yeovil and Wigan :frown:

That's an interesting point, If Rotherham win against Fulham tonight, that means Wigan are all but relegated. They'd need to get 9 points from the last three games and pray that Fulham don't pick up a single point. If Fulham win, Wigan still need to win 2 and draw 1 game of their final 3 to stay up, an impossible task. Millwall look the most likely to charge to safety. 4 poihts behind Rotherham with 9 points on offer is still very much achievable.

I won't miss Wigan, I actually want Rotherham and Fulham to stay up to relegate the cancerous mole that is Millwall & if Fulham get promoted to the Prem next season, we get another £5mil off them for McCormack.

Original post by Mackay
Colchester are surely down, given their thumping last night.

I'd expect Coventry to probably pick up points from Crawley on the final day, and maybe Bristol City this weekend given the fact they've already achieved promotion.

Scunthorpe have the benefit of a game in hand, so I'd say the final two relegation places will be between Crawley, Leyton Orient, Notts County and Crewe. While Port Vale are in poor form, they would need two of the aforementioned sides to pick up two wins out of the final three games to see themselves dragged down into it which I can't see happening.

It happens all the time. The team that wins promotion with games to spare always drops points in their next match. I remember Leicester losing the game after they secured promotion last season to a struggling team like Brighton. I can't even call the bottom of League One. It's too close & unpredictable. I just don't know. It's such a hard slog in these leagues, no wonder Redcrapp said he would only go to a promotion chasing Championship club if he doesn't receive an offer from a Prem team.

It happens all the time. The team that wins promotion with games to spare always drops points in their next match..

There's sure to be a party atmosphere at Ashton Gate, and it will be hard for Bristol City players to concentrate in that environment knowing the job is already done. They are pretty much certain to be champions, too. They could probably go winless until the season's close and still come first.
I think that's our season done now. You've still got to be really impressed with the way we've acquitted ourselves to our first season back in the second tier though.
Original post by Jangrafess
I think that's our season done now. You've still got to be really impressed with the way we've acquitted ourselves to our first season back in the second tier though.

You were massively unlucky to hit the bar, and Gray could have had a first-half brace. The Owls caught you with a sucker-punch towards the end, in truth. You've had a massively impressive season, though. Don't rule out play-offs.
Looking at last nights games at the top of the Championship, do wonder if nerves are setting in with how tight it is. The 3 that played all won, but not did it in any particular style. I feel for the 2 that miss out, as I can see it remaining tight until the end, it could even go down to goal difference if Norwich and Watford keep winning. It's going to be quite a blow which might make regrouping for the difficult playoff slog hard. That said, the playoff battle at the bottom isn't over which might effect things. Worst case for 3 and 4 would probably be if Wolves and Brentford gave up, then Derby and Ipswich get to cruise to the end and get ready for the playoffs, coming off a final day when things go as well as they can hope now. Then again, Wolves and or Brentford going on a run might not be good for 3 and 4 either, since they could finish the season on a roll and a high note having nicked a playoff place of the current sitters, which would be a psychological boost. Shame really the top 4 can't just be promoted, and another from the prem can't come down. Either that or do like the scots and include 1 or more teams that just avoid relegation in the playoffs.
Right it's James' prediction time, i'll do all the rest first and then i'll break down the TOP 8 of the champ.

Championship bottom 3: Milwall, Wigan, Blackpool

League 1: 1) Brizzle C 2) Preston 3) Swindon 4) Mk Dons 5) Sheffield United 6) Chesterfield
Relegated: Crawley, Port Vale, Colchester, Yeovil

League 2: 1) Burton 2) Shrewsbury 3) Bury 4) Wycombe 5) Southend 6) Stevenage 7) Plymouth
Relegated: Tranmere, Cheltenham
Championship Top 8

Bournemouth 9 points - 92 points (Champions)
Norwich 7 points - 89 points
Watford 10 points - 89 points
M'boro 5 points - 86 points
Derby 7 points - 82 points
Wolves 9 points - 80 points (no bias whatsoever, 6th)
Brentford 7 points -78 points
Ipswich 1 point - 75 points (Mad Micked)

Just going to go with Norwich going up, maybe by about 2 goal difference, something like that. I trust that we'll beat Ipswich and then a relegated Wigan and then a relegated Millwall.

I don't care what anyone says, I really do rate the Football League as being amongst some of the best leagues in the world. Unpredictability and drama guaranteed every season. Sky have nothing to hype up in the PL this season with the title & top 4 being all but wrapped up

This!

The championship, for me anyway from an objective point of view, is my favourite league in terms of drama and excitement. It never fails to entertain me as even if team did dominate the league, the second automatic promotion spot is usually up for grabs and the play-off race and relegation battle is usually up in the air.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

To be fair, Wolves and Norwich (I think it was Norwich) had something similar then got promoted at least once. Southampton might have anther to be relegated a few times in a space like 3 seasons and then got back-to-back promotions. Wigan it d be unlikely, but it hasn't been unheard of to bounce straight back. Yeovil won't most likely due lack of funds.
Tranmere relegated would be a disaster, only two seasons ago were they top of League One
Original post by hskjlclcn
Championship Top 8

Bournemouth 9 points - 92 points (Champions)
Norwich 7 points - 89 points
Watford 10 points - 89 points
M'boro 5 points - 86 points
Derby 7 points - 82 points
Wolves 9 points - 80 points (no bias whatsoever, 6th)
Brentford 7 points -78 points
Ipswich 1 point - 75 points (Mad Micked)

Just going to go with Norwich going up, maybe by about 2 goal difference, something like that. I trust that we'll beat Ipswich and then a relegated Wigan and then a relegated Millwall.

It really comes down to Saturday, if we beat you and Brentford lose or draw then we have pretty much wrapped up the 6th spot. If we lose then we will still be ahead on goal difference. Saturday will be the deciding day I believe, despite this predictions like yours are really unreliable because as McCarthy has said himself "The Championship is bonkers!"
Looks like this fella could be buying Bradford. Don't know what to thing of it like, feel it could be a bit of a Leeds scenario.
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/12890921.Bradford_City_confirm_possible_takeover_talks/
Original post by Midlander
I expect a hammering simply because we don't know how to score and we don't know how to defend. What would I give to have Wilson back for these last games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wilson was simply too good for this level and we only got 4 million wasn't it? It's sad how we had top Championship/ Premier league players like Gunnarson, Turner, Henderson, Westwood and they were taken by clubs actually going somewhere. Just shows it's off the field problems destroying the club. The academy has some good potential players as last time I heard Maddison was being watched by Tottenham or something.
Watford lead Forest & Rotherham score a crucial goal to lead Fulham. Be a long game for them to hold on for the win.
Today is the anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster. No-one should ever have to go through the pain the families of the 96 and anyone else who witnessed the events went through.

And before you ask, they were both Football League clubs playing in that semi-final. Football began before 1992.
Watford win 3-1 but it wasn't as comfortable as the scoreline makes out. They go 3rd, level on points with Norwich with just a single goal worse off for goal difference.

McCormack equalises for Fulham. 1-1 isn't ideal for either side, with 10 minutes still to play

And Burton may not clinch promotion if they remain 0-1 down to Carlisle despite having 70% possession. 7 minutes added on in that game.
Crucial to remember the Bradford City fire on days like today, too. Great piece on The Guardian's site.
Original post by iodo345
Wilson was simply too good for this level and we only got 4 million wasn't it? It's sad how we had top Championship/ Premier league players like Gunnarson, Turner, Henderson, Westwood and they were taken by clubs actually going somewhere. Just shows it's off the field problems destroying the club. The academy has some good potential players as last time I heard Maddison was being watched by Tottenham or something.

Clubs like that can throw a few million at a kid who may or may not make it. The Murdoch money has made the gulf wider than ever. To see sodding Bournemouth top of the Championship while we are barely staying in League One is just such a piss take and it shows how easy it could be to get success.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LordPhylogeny
It really comes down to Saturday, if we beat you and Brentford lose or draw then we have pretty much wrapped up the 6th spot. If we lose then we will still be ahead on goal difference. Saturday will be the deciding day I believe, despite this predictions like yours are really unreliable because as McCarthy has said himself "The Championship is bonkers!"

Yeah I completely agree with you that predictions are pointless in this league, I'm just trying to reason with myself after back to back losses. We have to beat you saturday, and I think we are capable, although Mick could easily sneak something away which would put us with too much to do I fear.

Quick Reply

Latest