The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, new to this thread!

I'm a home-schooled student so I was just wondering if any of you could give me any pointers about how to improve my essay structure and about what the best way to revise is? I've already completed all my notes from both the official edexcel book and the my revision notes guide, I'm just stumped on what best way to move forward now. :confused: Also how many hours of revision do you guys put in on school days while balancing your other subjects?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Reply 221
Original post by cartonama
Hii, not sure if anyone's seen this already but it's a really useful revision guide...http://fhshistory.weebly.com/uploads/7/8/3/8/7838735/germanyrevisionguide.pdf

Ah, it exceeds the file size limit :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 222
Original post by farawayfromnowhere
Hey guys, new to this thread!

I'm a home-schooled student so I was just wondering if any of you could give me any pointers about how to improve my essay structure and about what the best way to revise is? I've already completed all my notes from both the official edexcel book and the my revision notes guide, I'm just stumped on what best way to move forward now. :confused: Also how many hours of revision do you guys put in on school days while balancing your other subjects?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hi there!

The original Kaiser to Fuhrer has a host of good revision resources in the first few posts. I've tried my best to replicate that on this thread by attaching revision guides etc. More resources will be up. I'll post my revision notes too soon!

In terms of essay structure, I would say that the best way to tackle part B is to go with an intro, 3 main body paragraph and conclusion approach. This means two paragraphs on each source you believe has weaker arguments, why that is, references to other sources and own knowledge etc, then a final paragraph on the best source, why that is, references to other sources and own knowledge justifying your judgement.

Part A is a little trickier to nail down as the structure kind of depends on the question asked!

I've made notes on the red Edexcel book, and now I'm going through those notes making flash cards. If I get time, I'll record podcasts based on those cards too.

If you feel comfortable as you are though, I would just read through your condensed notes and try to plan past paper questions.

In terms of "revision" I must confess I don't do much. Probably 30 minutes per day? Then again I do 4 subjects so my time is a little constrained by that haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You guys got any possible questions that could come up for Hitler Consolidation of Power, Golden Age of Weimar and Second Reich? Just want to do some practice essays for my teacher to mark.
Reply 224
Original post by WilliamSlim
You guys got any possible questions that could come up for Hitler Consolidation of Power, Golden Age of Weimar and Second Reich? Just want to do some practice essays for my teacher to mark.

To what extent did the Nazis establish complete control over Germany by July 1933?

"1924-1929 saw a period of relative stability in Weimar Germany". How far do you agree?

How far do you agree that Wilhelmine Germany underwent a period of economic and political change in the years 1900-1914?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 225
What voting system existed in Germany in the second reich? I know it was PR in the Weimar years but all I can find for the Kaiser reich is that the Reichstag was elected by universal suffrage of men over 25.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 226
Original post by CD223
What voting system existed in Germany in the second reich? I know it was PR in the Weimar years but all I can find for the Kaiser reich is that the Reichstag was elected by universal suffrage of men over 25.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was most likely PR too, as the voting system never seemed to have been mentioned to change significantly during the war.
Reply 227
Ok I was writing an essay on consolidation of power for nazis, and I wrote about: terror, conservative elite support, and illusion of moderation/propaganda.

And I think saw a question on this where a given factor was Hitlers own actions. But what were they? I feel like I should include it as a factor because of this but I can't think of what exactly id put in it.
Reply 228
Original post by cuppa
It was most likely PR too, as the voting system never seemed to have been mentioned to change significantly during the war.

Hmm. I thought that PR was specifically mentioned as a weakness of the new Republic though? Implying it was a new idea in the German constitution?
Reply 229
Original post by CD223
Hmm. I thought that PR was specifically mentioned as a weakness of the new Republic though? Implying it was a new idea in the German constitution?

Okay I just asked my classmate about this and he straight out replied that it was first past the post. Answers the question then. Sorry about not checking at first lol
Reply 230
Original post by cuppa
Okay I just asked my classmate about this and he straight out replied that it was first past the post. Answers the question then. Sorry about not checking at first lol

Oh right! Thank you! :smile: how's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
"how far do you agree that the second reich underwent through a period of political and economic change in the years 1900-14?"

do you have to agree with the question and then disagree so give an argument that says the second reich did not change throughout 1900-14? I would've thought that a question would be to what extent was there more economic than political change in the second reich 1900-14?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
Original post by cuppa
Ok I was writing an essay on consolidation of power for nazis, and I wrote about: terror, conservative elite support, and illusion of moderation/propaganda.

And I think saw a question on this where a given factor was Hitlers own actions. But what were they? I feel like I should include it as a factor because of this but I can't think of what exactly id put in it.

Potsdam Day, Enabling Act, Concordat, Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service? I'm trying to brainstorm haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 233
Original post by Nchomuzinda
"how far do you agree that the second reich underwent through a period of political and economic change in the years 1900-14?"

do you have to agree with the question and then disagree so give an argument that says the second reich did not change throughout 1900-14? I would've thought that a question would be to what extent was there more economic than political change in the second reich 1900-14?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah generally people do 3 or 4 paras with agree/disagree points. It seems too narrow just to focus on economic change, but it's possible that a question entirely on politics could come up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 234
Original post by CD223
Potsdam Day, Enabling Act, Concordat, Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service? I'm trying to brainstorm haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already included them in my other factors apart from the antisemitic stuff. Though I guess I could just write a paragraph how without hitler this wouldn't have happened and how he had to be charismatic or something.
Original post by CD223
Yeah generally people do 3 or 4 paras with agree/disagree points. It seems too narrow just to focus on economic change, but it's possible that a question entirely on politics could come up. Posted from TSR Mobile

oh okay so what would be your disagree points ?
Reply 236
Original post by cuppa
I've already included them in my other factors apart from the antisemitic stuff. Though I guess I could just write a paragraph how without hitler this wouldn't have happened and how he had to be charismatic or something.

Yeah Potsdam Day is a big one for that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 237
Original post by Nchomuzinda
oh okay so what would be your disagree points ?

Probably the Zabern Affair and the Daily Telegraph affair - showing how the Kaiser could reassert his control and the chancellor's position depended entirely on his confidence in them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you all think, controversy a will be based upon? Last year was around German leaders decisions??
Reply 239
Original post by SophieNorcross
What do you all think, controversy a will be based upon? Last year was around German leaders decisions??

I think pressures from domestic tensions causing WW1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending