The Student Room Group

Finally realising what's important in life

Lately I've been doing alot of thinking about my life and how I'm living it. I recently realised what's important in life, and it's something I've disregarded my whole life. I've been chasing education and money for as long as I remember, after all, that's what I thought was important, that's where I thought happiness resided. It's far from it. Money, education, cars, holidays. None of it matters, it doesn't make us truly happy, it's an addition, an addition to which with out the main thing that truly matters, won't make anyone happy.

We all go about life, thinking we are content, but are we? Take a minute to think, deep down, are you as happy as you could be? I recently discovered I'm not, not even close.

See I'm missing the one thing that matters, it ties into family and friends, but it comes down to being truly loved, and feeling it. I've realised the only thing important in life, is not only loving someone unconditionally, but knowing, and feeling everyday, that they feel the same way.

This is what I've been missing, now I've realised that no matter how much money you have, or what degree you get, when it comes down to it, it doesn't mean a thing.

Just an insight into my thoughts recently, feel free to rip into me all you like, I couldn't give a ****, I've realised what's important in my life, perhaps reading this will help you realize what's important in yours. Once you realize it, you see life in a whole different way.

If you take one thing from this post, let it be this. We all have wishes, we all have dreams. Just remember, it's not necessarily those dreams that we crave. Even if it's just for a minute, think about what it is you really want.

To those of you that may not have seen it, the perfect summary was provided by War-Mac:

'It's not about what you get in life,
It's about who you're becoming'
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I totally agree with you.
Totally agree but I'm still chasing ****e. What is really getting on my tits recently is people saying you've failed if you don't get into a certain group of universities.
Reply 3
Original post by coatsoft
Totally agree but I'm still chasing ****e. What is really getting on my tits recently is people saying you've failed if you don't get into a certain group of universities.

Failed what? Anyone who uses the university they attended to demonstrate their intelligence is lucky to have a convenient substitute.
Original post by whorace
Failed what? Anyone who uses the university they attended to demonstrate their intelligence is lucky to have a convenient substitute.

Life
Life

Failed life because people are making fun of your uni cause they go to a better one? :s
How long did it take you to realise that? lol.

Was fairly evident for me even as a kid. Was pretty disillusioned throughout education seeing how focused everyone was into aspiring to a life of slavery. No one gave a good answer when i asked, 'why?'

Imo just do what makes you happy. Most important thing. You want a life you can be proud of and tell your kids about (if you have any).
Reply 7
Original post by Alba2013
I totally agree with you.

I know, those are the people like me, I used to think the same thing, I always thought Education and your Successes Defined you and your happiness. It really doesn't.

Original post by ChickenMadness
How long did it take you to realise that? lol.

Was fairly evident for me even as a kid. Was pretty disillusioned throughout education seeing how focused everyone was into aspiring to a life of slavery. No one gave a good answer when i asked, 'why?'

Imo just do what makes you happy. Most important thing. You want a life you can be proud of and tell your kids about (if you have any).

19 years, I can't believe it took me so long either, Alot of things have happened recently that forced me to really think, Something most people forget to do while chasing after there dreams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Ryanx623
Lately I've been doing alot of thinking about my life and how I'm living it. I recently realised what's important in life, and it's something I've disregarded my whole life. I've been chasing education and money for as long as I remember, after all, that's what I thought was important, that's where I thought happiness resided. It's far from it. Money, education, cars, holidays. None of it matters, it doesn't make us truly happy, it's an addition, an addition to which with out the main thing that truly matters, won't make anyone happy.

We all go about life, thinking we are content, but are we? Take a minute to think, deep down, are you as happy as you could be? I recently discovered I'm not, not even close.

See I'm missing the one thing that matters, it ties into family and friends, but it comes down to being truly loved, and feeling it. I've realised the only thing important in life, is not only loving someone unconditionally, but knowing, and feeling everyday, that they feel the same way.

This is what I've been missing, now I've realised that no matter how much money you have, or what degree you get, when it comes down to it, it doesn't mean a thing.

Just an insight into my thoughts recently, feel free to rip into me all you like, I couldn't give a ****, I've realised what's important in my life, perhaps reading this will help you realize what's important in yours. Once you realize it, you see life in a whole different way.

If you take one thing from this post, let it be this. We all have wishes, we all have dreams. Just remember, it's not necessarily those dreams that we crave. Even if it's just for a minute, think about what it is you really want.

I'm pleased for you. It is good that you have discovered this.
I want you to read this quote and take it in, It hit me hard.
It's about who you're becoming'
This fits in exactly with you.
You have been so caught up in getting money etc that you have not become who you wanted to be. By that I mean that you lost out friends that would love you because of what you were trying to get. And because of that that is who you have become, uninterested and detracting people who other wise would have been like family and loved you as much as you loved them.

Hope this helps
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by War-Mac
I'm pleased for you. It is good that you have discovered this.
I want you to read this quote and take it in, It hit me hard.
It's about who you become'
This fits in exactly with you.
You have been so caught up in getting money etc that you have not become who you wanted to be. By that I mean that you lost out friends that would love you because of what you were trying to get. And because of that that is who you have become, uninterested and detracting people who other wise would have been like family and loved you as much as you loved them.

Hope this helps

Couldn't of said it better, so much truth in one little sentence!

I've missed out on alot more than that, just took me too long to realize.
Original post by Ryanx623
I know, those are the people like me, I used to think the same thing, I always thought Education and Stressfulness defined you and your happiness. It really doesn't.

19 years, I can't believe it took me so long either, Alot of things have happened recently that forced me to really think, Something most people forget to do while chasing after there dreams.

yeeee. What really makes me happy is when I look back and I get to say stuff like, "yeee I had fun :cool: "

It sucks having bad memories. Got too many of them already because of things I couldn't control
Let go of everything that you know
Don't hold back what you feel

:captain::danceboy::danceboy::dance::dance::danceboy::danceboy::thrasher::thrasher::star::rock::rock:

Reply 12
Original post by ChickenMadness
yeeee. What really makes me happy is when I look back and I get to say stuff like, "yeee I had fun :cool: "

It sucks having bad memories. Got too many of them already because of things I couldn't control

It sure does, Now I've cottoned on I've got alot of things to change :smile:
So are you in love?
Reply 14
Original post by LivngForSummer
So are you in love?

I'm not currently. I did realise that I've never put enough effort in with the people I did love though.
I discovered this about a year ago and I completely agree. I stopped being so bitter and tried to forget things that made me upset and I no longer care about money's value and such.

Glad you have too!
Reply 16
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
I discovered this about a year ago and I completely agree. I stopped being so bitter and tried to forget things that made me upset and I no longer care about money's value and such.

Glad you have too!

It certainly changes the way you see and deal with life doesn't it! Just wished I 'd discovered it sooner.
You are right, but so what?

Are you going to stop studying or stop working til you found love? And then what?

Life isn't about being happy. It's about learning to be content with what you have. Because once you found that thing you think will make you happy, how long will it last, will you find another thing you need? Because if you don't constantly think you need something more, i.e. you are content with what you have, then you can actually be "happy".
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
i need to work out whats important in life
Reply 19
Original post by SarcasticMel
You are right, but so what?

Are you going to stop studying or stop working til you found love? And then what?

Life isn't about being happy. It's about learning to be content with what you have. Because once you found that thing you think will make you happy, how long will it last, will you find another thing you need?

No I'm not, far from it, I'm still going to work towards my dreams, I'm just going to stop putting any significance on them. If they happen, Great, if they don't, so what. Everything about Life isn't happy, why do you think people suffer when they aren't?

As for your last point, I can't answer that, but I, and by the looks of various people I've talked too, on this thread and elsewhere, believe that my point has significant value to your happiness.

Quick Reply

Latest