The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

No she went to Newcastle but i've heard there is quite a divide at bristol also and ok thanks that was pretty helpful.
xx
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by somegirl2
No she went to Newcastle but i've heard there is quite a divide at bristol also and ok thanks that was pretty helpful.
xx

Glad to help, if I do find out that there is a type of accommodation the privately educated kids tend to live in, I will apply for it so I can expand their horizons.

I've heard that the Uni makes a conscious effort to mix up their student facts too :smile: :smile: :smile:
Firmed UEA yesterday and tried filling out the accommodation form a few times since, however every time I try to create an account (UEA number, surname, DOB thing) it can't find me in their system. I'm guessing this is because I only just firmed them. How long should it take for this to sort itself out?
Reply 4783
Original post by Name is too lon
Firmed UEA yesterday and tried filling out the accommodation form a few times since, however every time I try to create an account (UEA number, surname, DOB thing) it can't find me in their system. I'm guessing this is because I only just firmed them. How long should it take for this to sort itself out?

Hey, did you follow the activation link that was sent to the email you used to make an account? You need to go through verification before you can log in to the form. Hope this helps. Xx
Strange question but is there a divide between private school people and state school? At my sister's university all the private school people normally went to one type of accommodation and state school to another. There was quite a lot of tension and the two groups didn’t mix. So I was wondering if it was similar at UEA or if there were any patterns of where people tend to go.
xx

definitley not, as dyslexicvegie says UEA's private school population is relatively low so chances are you won't meet that many privately educated people. Plus you don't tend to find out what sort of school people went to until you know them fairly well anyway in my experience.
(edited 9 years ago)

Same issue with me- I keep signing up for the accommodation account but have yet to have the email verification link sent to me? Have you had your email link through yet?
Hey. I will start my course in UEA this September. Does anybody knows where I can get my mails and parcels sent to me if I live off-campus? I know if you live on-campus you can just get them from the post room. Sorry if my questions sounds stupid but I don't live in UK. Is it possible if I could live off-campus and still get my mails and parcels through the post room?
Original post by acuriousperson
Hey. I will start my course in UEA this September. Does anybody knows where I can get my mails and parcels sent to me if I live off-campus? I know if you live on-campus you can just get them from the post room. Sorry if my questions sounds stupid but I don't live in UK. Is it possible if I could live off-campus and still get my mails and parcels through the post room?

you get them delivered to your house. The mailroom only deals with students living on campus
Original post by jelly1000
definitley not, as dyslexicvegie says UEA's private school population is relatively low so chances are you won't meet that many privately educated people. Plus you don't tend to find out what sort of school people went to until you know them fairly well anyway in my experience.

I thought you were disagreeing with, then I noticed the comma.
anyone know how bad the standard single campus accomodation is?
from the comments I've seen peaople think It's ****, but is it worth it for saving about £1000+ by choosing it instead of village ensuite?
I have to save up for a year abroad in america plus I'm already on a tight budget; so would it really be that bad?

at the moment my choices are ziggurats, then campus standard, then stuent village
Strange question but is there a divide between private school people and state school? At my sister's university all the private school people normally went to one type of accommodation and state school to another. There was quite a lot of tension and the two groups didn’t mix. So I was wondering if it was similar at UEA or if there were any patterns of where people tend to go.
xx

Not really because as mention there's only a small percentage that come from private schools. Plus the price and accommodation range between the cheapest and most expensive accommodation isn't that huge compared (the only variables are on campus/ensuites) other unis which have millions of different choices such as catered vs non catered, ensuites vs shared bathrooms, corridors vs studios flats, campus a vs campus b means the range is in the several thousands between your breeze blocked cell room to the princess studio suite. Which is obviously going to stop the majority of state schooled people affording certain types of accommodations that private school people could.

Plus unlike other unis you don't fill out a survey to allocate you on a like-mindedness base, it's completely random, different courses, ages, genders, from all over the UK (and internationally). The only logic I've noticed is they try to mix up the courses asides from HSC/MED which will have half of those two schools within a flat because their term-time and contracts are different so then you don't have them alone in a flat whilst everyone else has gone home for the holidays.
Original post by Laura57
anyone know how bad the standard single campus accomodation is?
from the comments I've seen peaople think It's ****, but is it worth it for saving about £1000+ by choosing it instead of village ensuite?
I have to save up for a year abroad in america plus I'm already on a tight budget; so would it really be that bad?

at the moment my choices are ziggurats, then campus standard, then stuent village

It should be reasonably clean and neat as just like all the accommodation there are cleaners, and shared bathrooms are cleaned regularly.

The buildings themselves are breeze block buildings, and I think the space is quite small. You don't get a sink in your room which some people really like when they don't have an ensuite.

The bathrooms used to be the main thing that differs - there was a room with several shower cubicles in, rather than a normal 'bathroom' with toilet and shower like in the Ziggurats or Mary Chapman. However they have been recently refurbished and I haven't seen a photo since, so this may have changed.

UEA Website
Standard rooms are available in Orwell Close and Wolfson Close. These residences are arranged in flats of between 5 and 12 bedrooms and the size of the flats' kitchen/diner will vary in size depending on the number of people sharing it. Standard Single Campus rooms do not have washbasins but have full communal bathroom facilities shared between all members of the flat. Standard Single rooms are the perfect option for students on a budget who still want the convenience of living on campus.
While Orwell and Wolfson Close are older buildings they have recently had a full refurbishment of their bedrooms, kitchens and bathrooms making them a great value option for on-campus living.

If you are going to an open day or in the area I'd suggest asking to look around. Or if not, email or phone the accommodation office about the precise facilities, maybe ask for some photos.

There aren't many spaces compared to the other accomm options, and one of the two buildings is usually dedicated to postgrads, so the atmosphere can be a little different. Unfortunately that's as much as I know as I've never met anyone in person that lived in them!

xxx
What is everyone's top three choices for undergrad student accomodation?
Mine is ensuite campus, ziggurat and en-suite village, it's all starting to feel real now:biggrin:
Original post by funsize_
What is everyone's top three choices for undergrad student accomodation?
Mine is ensuite campus, ziggurat and en-suite village, it's all starting to feel real now:biggrin:

First is ziggurats, second is ziggurats twin then ensuite campus
After you hit confirm on the form, what's supposed to happen? Mine just kept reloading the same overview page over and over which makes me think it hasn't gone through. Do they send an email confirmation or anything?
Reply 4795
After you hit confirm on the form, what's supposed to happen? Mine just kept reloading the same overview page over and over which makes me think it hasn't gone through. Do they send an email confirmation or anything?

Yes, you get a confirmation email :smile:
Original post by n00bie
Yes, you get a confirmation email :smile:

How soon after confirming did you get yours? Still haven't got one yet
Hi! I have an unconditional offer to study Law next year at UEA and hoping to be in en-suite campus accommodation☺️ I've heard rumours that only medicine/healthcare students will be in the newer houses and was wondering if that's true? I assumed subject division would be random and I'm just worried that this would limit my chances of getting en-suite campus accommodation
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4798
How soon after confirming did you get yours? Still haven't got one yet

Sometime in the next few hours I think? Are you sure you filled in all fields and everything? Like the little terms and conditions check box on the bottom? You should end up on a page where it says you're done applying. Maybe try again? It won't let you send it again if its already received I think, meaning if you can still fill in the form they didn't get one from you yet.
Reply 4799
Original post by katebullock
Hi! I have an unconditional offer to study Law next year at UEA and hoping to be in en-suite campus accommodation☺️ I've heard rumours that only medicine/healthcare students will be in the newer houses and was wondering if that's true? I assumed subject division would be random and I'm just worried that this would limit my chances of getting en-suite campus accommodation

I think you have nothing to worry about! From what I understand (people have said this from what they were told at open days) almost everyone gets their first or second choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending