The Student Room Group

am I dying? I am losing blood through nose bleeds

I had a bad cough about 3 months ago, it was very bad and the worse cough of my life, now any time I play with nose, my right nostril instantly bleeds. This only began after that terrible cough.
I haven't told anybody as I hate a fuss, and I won't go the doctors because the though of anybody looking at my nose obviously grosses me out.

So I have lost a rather big amount of blood following the nose bleeds over the past 3 months e.t.c am I at risk of death via blood loss? If they continue (the nose bleeding thingy) am I at risk of dying? If so then surely I'm dying now as my nose bleeds daily basically ?
Like I said I have not and will not tell anybody about it, not even a doctor.

As well as wanting to know if I am actually dying from blood loss I
Also would lile to know how has a bad cough caused this?

Thanks

Edit: oh, I forgot to ask, because I'm suffering constant nose bleeds, how long will it be before I die from blood loss if it turns out I am currently losing blood now as obviously our bodies only hold so much blood, I'd say I've probably lost enough blood so far equivelant of 10 teaspoon thingies
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Free Man
I had a bad cough about 3 months ago, it was very bad and the worse cough of my life, now any time I play with nose, my right nostril instantly bleeds. This only began after that terrible cough.
I haven't told anybody as I hate a fuss, and I won't go the doctors because the though of anybody looking at my nose obviously grosses me out.

So I have lost a rather big amount of blood following the nose bleeds over the past 3 months e.t.c am I at risk of death via blood loss? If they continue (the nose bleeding thingy) am I at risk of dying? If so then surely I'm dying now as my nose bleeds daily basically ?

Thanks

this is a symptom of some cancers. i advise you to get it checked out however much you hate it. please.
Reply 2
And don't tell me I should go to a hospice because that's just silly
Go to the doctor mate.
Reply 4
Original post by bad_username
this is a symptom of some cancers. i advise you to get it checked out however much you hate it. please.

What type of cancer?! A friend of my Nan died last week from cancer. She had lung cancer that spread throughout her body

My nosebleeds are related to my previous bad cough I think as they only began afterward and it was a BAD cough

Thanks

Edit: oh, I forgot to ask, because I'm suffering constant nose bleeds, how long will it be before I die from blood loss if it turns out I am currently losing blood now as obviously our bodies only hold so much blood, I'd say I've probably lost enough blood so far equivelant of 10 teaspoon thingies

Your bone marrow contains stem cells that differentiate to form blood cells, so blood is constantly being replaced. Blood cells are broken down naturally and replaced anyway.

Stop playing with your nose if that's causing it to bleed. See a doctor about this.
Go to a doctor; and you do realise that your body replaces the blood you are losing from your nose bleeds?
What type of cancer?! A friend of my Nan died last week from cancer. She had lung cancer that spread throughout her body

My nosebleeds are related to my previous bad cough I think as they only began afterward and it was a BAD cough

there's loads of things it could be, most curable.
but the first thing i thought when reading your post was a friend of mine who had lung cancer and a kind of side effect of the cancer was nose bleeds.
Reply 8
Original post by will_jg
Go to a doctor; and you do realise that your body replaces the blood you are losing from your nose bleeds?

I didn't know that? I'm interested, can you expand please?
there's loads of things it could be, most curable.
but the first thing i thought when reading your post was a friend of mine who had lung cancer and a kind of side effect of the cancer was nose bleeds.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, is he okay now, how old is/was he?
I didn't know that? I'm interested, can you expand please?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, is he okay now, how old is/was he?

she. she was 17.

Thanks

Sorry mate, you're born with a certain amount of blood and that's it for life (babies have insane blood pressure for this reason). Best invest in a bung for that nostril if you hope to live to collect your pension.
Reply 11
Original post by TurboCretin
Sorry mate, you're born with a certain amount of blood and that's it for life (babies have insane blood pressure for this reason). Best invest in a bung for that nostril if you hope to live to collect your pension.

I thought that too, I don't understand why some people say our bodies replace lost blood?
And what is a bung thingy His long do you think it will be until I am dead from lack of blood loss ??
Reply 12
she. she was 17.

That is very very sad. I'm so sorry indeed

Tgevwoman who I knew that died from lubf cancer that spread throughout her body was 66.

17 is a terribly young age to die
As people have said, it could well be harmless (blood vessels weakened by cough, then irritation), but you should go to the GP anyway just in case it is a side effect of something else.

I used to get heavy nosebleeds, and you bleed a lot less than you think, particularly if you treat it correctly. It would be very hard to lose even half as much as you lose through, say, donating blood. 10 teaspoons is a very small amount compared to a pint (though a large amount for a nosebleed). The body replenishes blood constantly, so any blood loss will be cancelled out in a matter of hours. You are very unlikely to bleed to death via nosebleeds.

Exceptions would be if you have a blood clotting problem. You would probably know if you did, and it doesn't sound like you do, but your GP can say for sure. In short: you're probably fine, but we don't want to give you bad advice, and there's a small possibility it is a symptom of something else, so see your GP!
wiki: "Typically, a healthy person can endure a loss of 10–15% of the total blood volume without serious medical difficulties"

Though I would get it checked out - the bleeding in itself is most likely no problem - unless you actually feel dizziness etc.; but it may be an indicator or another problem. As mothers always say, 'better safe than sorry'
I thought that too, I don't understand why some people say our bodies replace lost blood?
And what is a bung thingy His long do you think it will be until I am dead from lack of blood loss ??

As someone else said you can generally lose 10-15% of your blood before you die, so I'd probably give you about a month.
Reply 16
As someone else said you can generally lose 10-15% of your blood before you die, so I'd probably give you about a month.

So are you saying that in about 1 month I will be dead because of blood loss if I don't seek medical assistance?
I definitely am not going to see a doctor about it, I also haven't told my mother about the nose bleeds,

Do you think I should write a little note and put it under my bed in case I die suddenly from blood loss so that who ever finds it can read it?

So your basically saying I'll be dead in about a month, correct?

Thanks
So are you saying that in about 1 month I will be dead because of blood loss if I don't seek medical assistance?
I definitely am not going to see a doctor about it, I also haven't told my mother about the nose bleeds,

Do you think I should write a little note and put it under my bed in case I die suddenly from blood loss so that who ever finds it can read it?

So your basically saying I'll be dead in about a month, correct?

Thanks

I think the copious blood on the pillow will reveal the cause of death, but you might like to write her a limerick or something.

It might look like this:

There once was a young lad named FreeMan
Whose love did extend to his mam
But his nose bled a lot
And it failed to clot
So he's now gone and kicked the can

Why do you think many people repeatedly donate blood if our bodies don't replace it? Suicide?
"I won't go the doctors because the thought of anybody looking at my nose obviously grosses me out."
Do you consider this a valid reason?
The fact that something unusual is happening here that needs to be addressed is considerably more important than such a thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending