University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

University of Essex 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelfox
Quays was my second choice.
ahh okay, what did you put as your first choice ?
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by ajle
Hi, I've just received an offer for genetics. Who else is in this course? What do you think?

3rd years genetics student here. Great course and one that makes you stand out from the crowd :smile:
Original post by eilish18
ahh okay, what did you put as your first choice ?

South Courts
I got an offer of BBB impressed by the econ department and the maths seemed pretty good too on the visit day
I applied for accomodation last month. First choice being the meadows flats, quays and then southcourts. I'm studying psychology btw :smile:
What's the Uni like? I got an unconditional but, I can't go to any campus tours or applicant day tours as it's over or just wrong timing.

Since I'm allowed to pick one choice out of my 4 offers, I need to know what it's like (in case I don't like my other unis [2 I'm going to, not bothering with NTU]).
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
What's the Uni like? I got an unconditional but, I can't go to any campus tours or applicant day tours as it's over or just wrong timing.

Since I'm allowed to pick one choice out of my 4 offers, I need to know what it's like (in case I don't like my other unis [2 I'm going to, not bothering with NTU]).

I think it's really good! I've been there like 4 times for open days (some were with my college rather than just me)! I have some friends who go there (one in first year and one in second) and they absolutely love it, they are always out partying I'd you're into that kind of thing. I like the campus too, literally everything is next to each other so that sense to make it much easier than just all over the place...
Original post by inferiorbeing
I think it's really good! I've been there like 4 times for open days (some were with my college rather than just me)! I have some friends who go there (one in first year and one in second) and they absolutely love it, they are always out partying I'd you're into that kind of thing. I like the campus too, literally everything is next to each other so that sense to make it much easier than just all over the place...

Are you a current student there, or an applicant? I like the partying and stuff, but Colchester doesn't seem to have many places to go out apart from here or there.

I'm not too keen on the course, as all the modules are year-long modules which means I would only get to pick 4 modules; two from Literature and two from Philosophy. I don't know if I'd like that, compared to my current uni and other unis I have looked where it's either 6 or 8 modules. Which is what I prefer.
Just an applicant, I'm trying to find out as much as possible from people I know who are already there! I noticed that about places to go too.. I think there is a fair amount though but I guess it depends on what you would prefer with things like that, honestly though my friends always seem to be going out but I suppose it would depend on when you get there more than anything.
Yeah I suppose it would depend on how much you would want to cover, the structure does seem strange for a lot of courses.
Just an applicant, I'm trying to find out as much as possible from people I know who are already there! I noticed that about places to go too.. I think there is a fair amount though but I guess it depends on what you would prefer with things like that, honestly though my friends always seem to be going out but I suppose it would depend on when you get there more than anything.
Yeah I suppose it would depend on how much you would want to cover, the structure does seem strange for a lot of courses.

I'm already at a uni so I already have that mindset of comparing my current one to the one I want to go to. My current uni's night life is so amazing! I love it so much. And I really wish that most unis/towns had a "strip" or just a street where all the bars/clubs/restaurants are cause it would make life so much easier. I wouldn't wanna spend taxi money going to one club to another. But I've heard that some people go to London for a night out?

Yeah well my course you have about 6 essays through autumn and spring terms and 4 x 3 hr exams in summer. This continues throughout the degree. I honestly can't be bothered with that! Too intense!
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I'm already at a uni so I already have that mindset of comparing my current one to the one I want to go to. My current uni's night life is so amazing! I love it so much. And I really wish that most unis/towns had a "strip" or just a street where all the bars/clubs/restaurants are cause it would make life so much easier. I wouldn't wanna spend taxi money going to one club to another. But I've heard that some people go to London for a night out?

Yeah well my course you have about 6 essays through autumn and spring terms and 4 x 3 hr exams in summer. This continues throughout the degree. I honestly can't be bothered with that! Too intense!

Oh yeah I guess you have something to compare it to then so everything will have to try and be at least the same or better! Yeah just one area for bars and clubs would be so much better, save money too. I know that loads of people from my town go to London for major celebration or particular clubs but the uni is an extra 20 minutes by train to get there so I don't know if an hour train ride would be worth it..
yeah that seems like a lot of stressful work!
How long does accommodation take? Did it about a month ago, and still not heard anything back.
How long does accommodation take? Did it about a month ago, and still not heard anything back.

I'm pretty sure we don't hear anything until we have our place confirmed basically after results day, that's what I got from the website anyway (I did mine as soon as we could and only had an email saying they received my application)
I'm pretty sure we don't hear anything until we have our place confirmed basically after results day, that's what I got from the website anyway (I did mine as soon as we could and only had an email saying they received my application)

Bit annoying tbh :mad:
Bit annoying tbh :mad:

Yep :frown: I just want to know now!
How did it go and what did they ask you? I have mine tomorrow and I'm pooing myself!
Original post by inthechaos
The letter said casual but I'm a bit sceptical about going in blue jeans. If you log on to the essex portal thing and dig about you can find a day schedule, parking permit and map. Can't remember where exactly I found that though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm going in a school shirt, jumper and smart trousers.

How did you both get on??
Original post by rosiekay12
How did you both get on??

Got an offer
Does anyone know anything about the Maltings accommodation? Like how well looked after it is and stuff? Because I need my car for placements and they won't let me have a parking permit if I live on campus, so I need somewhere off campus, but can't look for a house as I live 3 hours away so can't view any, and wouldn't have anyone to live with....
Original post by Physflop
Does anyone know anything about the Maltings accommodation? Like how well looked after it is and stuff? Because I need my car for placements and they won't let me have a parking permit if I live on campus, so I need somewhere off campus, but can't look for a house as I live 3 hours away so can't view any, and wouldn't have anyone to live with....

Just wondering, have they said you can't have a parking permit? Because there are designated on-campus parking spaces for students and from the info on the website, they don't seem to be only for disabled students.
https://www.essex.ac.uk/students/campus/parking.aspx

Another option for you might be Quays. It's not actually right on campus, so there may be parking there. I did go there on a visit day with my daughter but since she won't have a car I'm afraid I didn't pay any attention to the issue of parking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending