The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

This is my first post so forgive me if I ramble on a little..

My whole opinion on the whole concept is varied.
Last summer I completed my GCSE's and I was disappointed. I had planned to study A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Sociology. Overall I had a rough two years, especially during exam time, so my grades were less than satisfactory. I managed to get A in Maths, B in Drama and I passed Music Technology (Pass or Fail course).
I decided to take the BTEC Business route because as a matter of fact I do prefer coursework over exams, and my planned A level choices should suggest that I was into the mathematical side of business (I hope..?)
So I'm currently studying the Level 2 Diploma and re-taking my GCSE English, and hope to move onto Level 3 Business which will (hopefully) help me get into uni to study business/finance.

In all honestly I think that whichever path you choose, you should be committed to working hard your subject. I think that the reason most people view A levels as superior is because they have more exams, but BOTH courses require you to put in enough effort in throughout the year to pull out a good enough grade..

A levels tend to be more sought after by the 'highest' universities such as Oxford and Cambridge due to their rigorous academic nature, but Oxbridge isn't for everyone, and if university status is so important to you there are in fact many Russel Group unis such as York that, will consider all applicants with high enough grades (AAA for A level and DDD for BTEC).
But to get into ANY university you will need to work and study hard enough throughout the year to get a good grade as I said, and whether you take A levels or BTEC I'm POSITIVE that it's no walk in the park.
My BTEC Level 2 is manageable I guess but there are many assignments that need to be completed as part of our units. However being me I am just aiming for a pass so I can invest more time into my English GCSE, as then I would have 4 GCSEs in order to study BTEC Level 3 :tongue:
I think it depends on your preferences and how you prefer to work, because at the end of the day, you'll still need to work.
Though I have no experience studying A levels whatsoever, it does appear that the 3/4 A level subjects gives you an academic understanding of subjects, and those skills picked up will help you in university study.
BTEC on the other hand, definitely gives me a good, solid, working understanding of the business sector, which is great for employment if I wanted to go and work in the business field, and I personally couldn't care less about what other 'superior' A level students think because BTEC in a way also prepares you for further study and I assume university study too because even for level 2, you definitely need to keep on top of your work and organise it, whilst maintaining good time management, independant learning skills and study habits.
To sum up, I personally think that both routes deserve equal weighting and respect. :wink:
(It's my first post so go easy on me lol)
Original post by Double A-Z
This is my first post so forgive me if I ramble on a little..

My whole opinion on the whole concept is varied.
Last summer I completed my GCSE's and I was disappointed. I had planned to study A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Sociology. Overall I had a rough two years, especially during exam time, so my grades were less than satisfactory. I managed to get A in Maths, B in Drama and I passed Music Technology (Pass or Fail course).
I decided to take the BTEC Business route because as a matter of fact I do prefer coursework over exams, and my planned A level choices should suggest that I was into the mathematical side of business (I hope..?)
So I'm currently studying the Level 2 Diploma and re-taking my GCSE English, and hope to move onto Level 3 Business which will (hopefully) help me get into uni to study business/finance.

In all honestly I think that whichever path you choose, you should be committed to working hard your subject. I think that the reason most people view A levels as superior is because they have more exams, but BOTH courses require you to put in enough effort in throughout the year to pull out a good enough grade..

A levels tend to be more sought after by the 'highest' universities such as Oxford and Cambridge due to their rigorous academic nature, but Oxbridge isn't for everyone, and if university status is so important to you there are in fact many Russel Group unis such as York that, will consider all applicants with high enough grades (AAA for A level and DDD for BTEC).
But to get into ANY university you will need to work and study hard enough throughout the year to get a good grade as I said, and whether you take A levels or BTEC I'm POSITIVE that it's no walk in the park.
My BTEC Level 2 is manageable I guess but there are many assignments that need to be completed as part of our units. However being me I am just aiming for a pass so I can invest more time into my English GCSE, as then I would have 4 GCSEs in order to study BTEC Level 3 :tongue:
I think it depends on your preferences and how you prefer to work, because at the end of the day, you'll still need to work.
Though I have no experience studying A levels whatsoever, it does appear that the 3/4 A level subjects gives you an academic understanding of subjects, and those skills picked up will help you in university study.
BTEC on the other hand, definitely gives me a good, solid, working understanding of the business sector, which is great for employment if I wanted to go and work in the business field, and I personally couldn't care less about what other 'superior' A level students think because BTEC in a way also prepares you for further study and I assume university study too because even for level 2, you definitely need to keep on top of your work and organise it, whilst maintaining good time management, independant learning skills and study habits.
To sum up, I personally think that both routes deserve equal weighting and respect. :wink:
(It's my first post so go easy on me lol)

Seriously though not being sarcastic or anything but good for you I hope you get to wherever you want to be!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Seriously though not being sarcastic or anything but good for you I hope you get to wherever you want to be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol by saying that you're not being sarcastic the first thing I'm gonna think is that you're being sarcastic... :confused: :s-smilie:
Original post by Double A-Z
Lol by saying that you're not being sarcastic the first thing I'm gonna think is that you're being sarcastic... :confused: :s-smilie:

Na Im being serious. I wouldve written it normally like 'Oh well done' in sarcasm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many of them who don't it recongise it as a "proper" A-Level or an A Level at all. It was the only science subject at my school's sixth form.
Original post by Zenarthra
A levels teach you to think logically and very quickly. In BTEC there is not thinking whatsoever.
SO its not a surprise really that A Level students are more superior. You think you're able until you do alevels.

You can't say anything about a BTEC until you've done one then?
I've done both, simultaneously and I've learnt a lot- a very valuable lesson I've learnt is those that look down on others always seem to come out the worst- and I'm not talking about your grades because I'm sure they're absolutely angelical!
Original post by toots

I also know a guy who is currently studying BTEC Level 3 Construction along with 1 A level AND got an UNCONDITIONAL offer from UCL to study PPE.

BTECs are the unsung heroes.

Erm UCL website for PPE says they don't allow BTEC and would need 3 A-Levels anyway...
And why would a construction btec help with that anyway...?
Original post by frances98
Erm UCL website for PPE says they don't allow BTEC and would need 3 A-Levels anyway...

For him to build a life. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
For him to build a life. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha that's fantastic :adore:
I'm loving how defensive people get over BTECs
Lol kinda get where BTEC people are coming from a little, but without a doubt A levels are harder. The fact that most A level students study 3/4 + a levels at a time is a valid reason enough.

I'm not saying btec students are any less "capable" but youve got to stop and agree with my above comment. :smile: :smile:

In construction you can do units 'Maths for construction' and 'Further Maths for construction' which include topics such as differential calculus and statistical analysis which may qualify them for the maths side of Economics as well as the unit 'Economics and finance for Civil Engineering'

Maybe?
Original post by yt7777
In construction you can do units 'Maths for construction' and 'Further Maths for construction' which include topics such as differential calculus and statistical analysis which may qualify them for the maths side of Economics as well as the unit 'Economics and finance for Civil Engineering'

Maybe?

They put Maths and Further maths to make it sound like an A level

Posted from TSR Mobile
They put Maths and Further maths to make it sound like an A level

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure about that, they cover similar topics anyway, especially the Engineering ones and also the one in IT/Computing covers a lot of maths that ive done on my degree
Ahaha that's fantastic :adore:
I'm loving how defensive people get over BTECs

the reason people get defensive is because some people are so mis-informed about BTECs and make derogatory, degrading comments when in actual fact they are on the same level of education and generally will be equally qualified and prepared to progress to HE, they just dont understand the actual worth of the qualification
I fail to see why this discussion is still going on.. :s-smilie:
Original post by Binary Freak
I fail to see why this discussion is still going on.. :s-smilie:

Same here..
I've kinda stopped following this discussion..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohhello92x
Same here..
I've kinda stopped following this discussion..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh.. I'll unfollow the thread later.. When I'm done with doing maintenance
Is it because the a levelers won the debate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it because the a levelers won the debate

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think your right there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
the reason people get defensive is because some people are so mis-informed about BTECs and make derogatory, degrading comments when in actual fact they are on the same level of education and generally will be equally qualified and prepared to progress to HE, they just dont understand the actual worth of the qualification

How does never sitting an exam prepare them for higher education? Surely their in for a big shock when they get to uni exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending