The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by enaayrah
Yeah, the thing is the college I go to attracts students from all kinds of backgrounds, so we do have a good number of people with some A*s at GCSE. Our college sends about 5/6 students to Oxbridge across all the subjects though, and most people attend the sessions even though they don't want to go to Oxbridge

Same with our college, there are very few people actually going to Oxbridge even though we have around 100 in a year group. What happens in these sessions btw as we don't have enough people to require them - we went to St John's for a two-day open day type thing but nothing since...
Original post by samb1234
Also there is a lot of competition grade wise as well. People who get like 70% in a test are often ridiculed which gives you an incentive to do really well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a harmful way to go about it. I know from experience.
Probably more than there are from my school. A lot of people at my school either want to do medicine or are too lazy to go to Oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no one wanting to do medicine at my school
It's funny because your school seems to be a more competitive one (70% in test is considered decent at my school lol) and better disciplined because someone shows off packet of drug in common room and they never get caught properly lol one day two people were about to get caught but the teacher didn't givena damn or something (or didn't want them to get expelled)

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school has an Oxbridge group but I think only two of us actually want to apply for Oxbridge. We don't exactly have an amazing track record (2 got offers this year, none the year before, 4 the year before that though), but it's not bad either.
Original post by raineandfyre
'Only' 9/70 Oxbridge applicants... Out of my year there are possibly 3 or 4 people, including myself, who I know are either going to apply or I think could get in (or both). That's out of ~200 students in my year by the way.

The pass rate's sky-high though because they kick people out who look like they'll fail.

It sounds like a high performing school as they kick people out so I expected more applicants haha
I'm pretty sure it will end up being 2 or 3 on the results day though...majority of the group is kinda...well you know... From their subject choice it's already a bit off

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HistoryStudent1
Same with our college, there are very few people actually going to Oxbridge even though we have around 100 in a year group. What happens in these sessions btw as we don't have enough people to require them - we went to St John's for a two-day open day type thing but nothing since...

We get ex-students/any students from Oxford/Cambridge talking to us about the unis and gets a bit repetitive sometimes. A good thing that my Oxbridge tutor does is set some problem solving tasks etc that are really fun and a good preparation for interview :smile: We have to talk about our books that we're reading so we're made to bring a book, and we sometimes look at successful personal statements and draw ideas from them for our own :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
We get ex-students/any students from Oxford/Cambridge talking to us about the unis and gets a bit repetitive sometimes. A good thing that my Oxbridge tutor does is set some problem solving tasks etc that are really fun and a good preparation for interview :smile: We have to talk about our books that we're reading so we're made to bring a book, and we sometimes look at successful personal statements and draw ideas from them for our own :smile:

That sounds pretty useful
Meanwhile our tutor is trying to get us read book :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
There's no one wanting to do medicine at my school
It's funny because your school seems to be a more competitive one (70% in test is considered decent at my school lol) and better disciplined because someone shows off packet of drug in common room and they never get caught properly lol one day two people were about to get caught but the teacher didn't givena damn or something (or didn't want them to get expelled)

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my school there are very defined stereotypes: the ones who want to be doctors/dentists (about 25-30%) the ones who want to do physics/engineering (around 40%) 25% who take science subjects but don't know what they want to do and about 5% who want to do arts. You'd be surprised how many lazy people there are at a grammar school btw

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
That sounds pretty useful
Meanwhile our tutor is trying to get us read book :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was us in the first sessions :tongue:
At my school there are very defined stereotypes: the ones who want to be doctors/dentists (about 25-30%) the ones who want to do physics/engineering (around 40%) 25% who take science subjects but don't know what they want to do and about 5% who want to do arts. You'd be surprised how many lazy people there are at a grammar school btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've only been to international schools past four years and I can say the same for laziness in international schools lol The percentage will be 50% not knowing what to do though and 1% doctor 10% engineering lol
Scary thing is many people there can kinda live off their parents.., they are rich af! I'm so normal amongst those people ...it's a very weird environment to be in to say the least

Posted from TSR Mobile
That was us in the first sessions :tongue:

0 progress made! Future looks bright for us *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd also add my school gets hardly anyone into Cambridge. I can only think of 1 person during the time I've been there. They have more success with Oxford.
Original post by C0balt
0 progress made! Future looks bright for us *rolls eyes*

Posted from TSR Mobile

'I.simply.haven't.got.the.time.to.read.a.book' is what my face is saying when my tutor asks how far I am with reading :redface: I've got to get a move on though, for my own good :tongue:
Original post by antisansculotte
I'd also add my school gets hardly anyone into Cambridge. I can only think of 1 person during the time I've been there. They have more success with Oxford.

Same with my college, there's always more Oxford offer-holders than Cambridge, makes me think Oxford is easier to get into :lol:
'I.simply.haven't.got.the.time.to.read.a.book' is what my face is saying when my tutor asks how far I am with reading :redface: I've got to get a move on though, for my own good :tongue:

Yeah the thing Is I've got plenty of time on the bus or sth but I'm so tired when I'm on it that I just kinda close my eyes with music
I should be reading and not TSR tbh but pfft we get a lot of info here don't we!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by antisansculotte

Same I am the third person to get an offer ever and only one in my year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same with my college, there's always more Oxford offer-holders than Cambridge, makes me think Oxford is easier to get into :lol:

I think Oxford is easier to get into for science based courses however I think it is harder to get into for literary courses. I may be wrong about this though
Original post by C0balt
Yeah the thing Is I've got plenty of time on the bus or sth but I'm so tired when I'm on it that I just kinda close my eyes with music
I should be reading and not TSR tbh but pfft we get a lot of info here don't we!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll admit that TSR is my biggest distraction :wink: its so addictive! But its amazingly helpful, and helps me get to know people with similar interests
Original post by SophieBarlow87
I think Oxford is easier to get into for science based courses however I think it is harder to get into for literary courses. I may be wrong about this though

Might be true because Cambridge is better than Oxford for the sciences, while Oxford is better for the arts :smile:
No one got into oxford either

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending