The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia
Can I point out that ATM, Porto are dicking Bayern?

Yes they are, they do what you don't (bottle the first leg), yet your fans will still have a self-righteous nature and I would bet my house there'll be Arsenal fans on Twitter saying "if we had beat Monaco we could've/would've beat Bayern and would be in semi-finals" and that sort of bull****.
Original post by Depleted
Yes they are, they do what you don't (bottle the first leg), yet your fans will still have a self-righteous nature and I would bet my house there'll be Arsenal fans on Twitter saying "if we had beat Monaco we could've/would've beat Bayern and would be in semi-finals" and that sort of bull****.

Don't doubt it, some fans are unbelievable, but on the specific point of Bayern, we have shown we have the ability to beat them (at least over one leg), so it's not as ridiculous as you make out. It's also not exclusive to Arsenal fans, although we do have quite a large following who think we are still the powerhouse of 06.
Original post by Pete_91
Neuer gets a yellow, yet Shezza got red, inconsistent reffing will be the death of football..

Say something about Lehmann 2006
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Say something about Lehmann 2006

Lehmann deserved the red...but the ref could have just played on and let Barca go 1-0 up.

Satisfied?
Original post by Arkasia
on the specific point of Bayern, we have shown we have the ability to beat them (at least over one leg), so it's not as ridiculous as you make out

Interesting, where do you feel you've shown this ability
Original post by Pete_91
Lehmann deserved the red...but the ref could have just played on and let Barca go 1-0 up.

Satisfied?

Nah nah go on and say what you truly feel, about how Barca cheated and robbed you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21681052

Yes, it was 2013, but if anything our team has progressed massively since then, and we have shown an ability to win big games such as City and United away.

Did you miss the 2-0 game in 2013?
Original post by Arkasia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21681052

Yes, it was 2013, but if anything our team has progressed massively since then, and we have shown an ability to win big games such as City and United away.

Original post by Pete_91
Did you miss the 2-0 game in 2013?

But in a one legged tie, Bayern wouldn't be playing like they didn't give a ****, and Arsenal wouldn't have any pressure on them. Look at your glorious failures vs Milan and Monaco in recent years too.

You're bottlers and you thrive when the pressure is off. So overall, yes, the idea that 'we would've beat Bayern and made it to the semi finals' is as ridiculous as he's making out.
But in a one legged tie, Bayern wouldn't be playing like they didn't give a ****, and Arsenal wouldn't have any pressure on them. Look at your glorious failures vs Milan and Monaco in recent years too.

You're bottlers and you thrive when the pressure is off. So overall, yes, the idea that 'we would've beat Bayern and made it to the semi finals' is as ridiculous as he's making out.

That's why I said, and I quote, "at least over one leg".
Original post by Arkasia
That's why I said, and I quote, "at least over one leg".

You fluked a win against a **** unmotivated Bayern two years ago.

There's no evidence to suggest that you have the ability/any more than a minimal chance of doing the same against a Bayern team today which is significantly different to that team.

Furthermore, you mentioned the concept of one leg as part of an overall message saying that beating Bayern over a two legged tie wasn't a ridiculous idea. Which is wrong, because it is. Very ridiculous. Try beating ****ing Monaco first :rofl2:
You fluked a win against a **** unmotivated Bayern two years ago.

There's no evidence to suggest that you have the ability/any more than a minimal chance of doing the same against a Bayern team today which is significantly different to that team.

Furthermore, you mentioned the concept of one leg as part of an overall message saying that beating Bayern over a two legged tie wasn't a ridiculous idea. Which is wrong, because it is. Very ridiculous. Try beating ****ing Monaco first :rofl2:

You say fluked, yet you provided multiple other examples of our glorious failures. I'm not deluded, I realize that, by all logic, we would get dominated by Bayern. My point is that it has happened before, and as seen against Porto, could happen again. Arsenal is a team that is awful under pressure (although getting better), and almost unplayable when there is no pressure (seen by our yearly end-of-season runs, and our glorious failures).

Finally, don't say we 'fluked a victory' away at Bayern, then use a game where Monaco beat us away as an example of how awful we are. By your logic, Monaco fluked a victory against us, so that point is meaningless.
Original post by Arkasia
You say fluked, yet you provided multiple other examples of our glorious failures. I'm not deluded, I realize that, by all logic, we would get dominated by Bayern. My point is that it has happened before, and as seen against Porto, could happen again. Arsenal is a team that is awful under pressure (although getting better), and almost unplayable when there is no pressure (seen by our yearly end-of-season runs, and our glorious failures).

Finally, don't say we 'fluked a victory' away at Bayern, then use a game where Monaco beat us away as an example of how awful we are. By your logic, Monaco fluked a victory against us, so that point is meaningless.

But Monaco and a Milan team that were pretty dismal in Europe are not comparable to a Bayern team that went on to win the competition as part of a spell of dominating Europe. Therefore I'll maintain that it was a fluke result.

No, because Monaco and Arsenal are comparable teams in European competition. Get that stick out of your arse. You have literally no evidence to suggest that you're a better team in European competition than them. So them beating you away from home isn't a fluke, it's a rival beating a rival.

End point: yes, it is completely ridiculous to suggest that Arsenal could've/would've beat Bayern this year.
Original post by Arkasia

It's really not? Monaco beat you away 3-1 in a tie where EVERYTHING was to play for, whereas you beat Bayern away in a game realistically they knew they were never gonna lose 3-0 (which is what you had to win by), so you can't compare them at all.

End point: yes, it is completely ridiculous to suggest that Arsenal could've/would've beat Bayern this year.

'Would've', I agree, but 'could've'? Was it ridiculous to suggest Porto could've beaten Bayern?
Original post by Arkasia
'Would've', I agree, but 'could've'? Was it ridiculous to suggest Porto could've beaten Bayern?

Tbh with 'could've' I'll concede and say I shouldn't have added that in, when I actually meant 'would've'. Depends on how you interpret 'could'. There's lots of unlikely 'could've's in football that come true, and that's why we watch it.

But it's such a low chance that it's not really worth thinking about; an Arsenal-Bayern two legged tie is a foregone conclusion in my mind.
(edited 9 years ago)
Tbh with 'could've' I'll concede and say I shouldn't have added that in, when I actually meant 'would've'.

There's lots of 'could've's in football that come true, and that's why we watch it.

Cheers for conceding that, and in that case, I fully agree with what you've said.
Original post by Arkasia
Cheers for conceding that, and in that case, I fully agree with what you've said.

I edited, and I didn't say 'could've' through the discussion, so irdk how you agree...
I edited, and I didn't say 'could've' through the discussion, so irdk how you agree...

I agree that, based on logic alone, no-one can say Arsenal 'would've' beaten Bayern (different to 'could've', which you then said you shouldn't have included).
Original post by Arkasia
I agree that, based on logic alone, no-one can say Arsenal 'would've' beaten Bayern (different to 'could've', which you then said you shouldn't have included).

fair enough, repped

TSR is too anal on wording etc, I'm as guilty as the next guy tbh. Depleted was dropping bait and I knew it but lost track of it after a while

Latest