The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcor
Any Cantabs heard of an Engineer switching to Nat Sci? It doesn't say so on the department's website, but I've got the impression that you can change to any other course which has a decent amount of similarities in the skills required from the posts here

The one guy I know who did sciences at Cam applied for Comp Sci, did a year of it, and decided he wanted to switch to Physics, which his tutors were perfectly happy with. I know it's not specifically what you're talking about, but I've also got the impression that they're very flexible, once you're in (if you have good reasons).
Original post by Actaeon
The one guy I know who did sciences at Cam applied for Comp Sci, did a year of it, and decided he wanted to switch to Physics, which his tutors were perfectly happy with. I know it's not specifically what you're talking about, but I've also got the impression that they're very flexible, once you're in (if you have good reasons).

Compsci's who do physics in the first year do all the physics already that Nasci's do and engineering would be a slightly different as the courses have no overlap in terms of lectures.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I would go as far as saying getting in is easier then making the offer(for maths) for other subjects it is much harder to get the offer then nearky all make the offer.

Original post by Melanie Leconte
Do you mean it is easier to get an offer than meeting the grades/STEP?

In 2014 there were 1,336 Maths applicants.
* 532 received offers (i.e. 40% of applicants)
* 236 acceptances (i.e. 44% of offers)

So in 2014 it was slightly harder to get an offer than to be accepted. But only just. Basically, yeah, achieving a Maths offer is tough! :eek:

Edit to add: but overall it kind of works out. Maths success rate (acceptance/applicant) is 18%. Engineering is 15%. You Mathmos have it easy :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill

So in 2014 it was slightly harder to get an offer than to be accepted. But only just. Basically, yeah, achieving a Maths offer is tough! :eek:

Edit to add: but overall it kind of works out. Maths success rate (acceptance/applicant) is 18%. Engineering is 15%. You Mathmos have it easy :smile:

That's one way to look at it :smile:
Original post by jneill

its actually harder to meet the offer as in the 2013-14 round although 236 were accepted only 170 met the 1,1 offer. So meeting the offer is statistically harder than to get the offer, and most people would agree with this

170/532=32% offer meeting rate!

Edit:The 170 stat cant be seen from graphs as whole theres only about 20 summer pools, that is people acceptrd by another college after missing their offer. About double that number are actually accepted from their own college even though they miss their offers
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill

When i went to my interview the people showing me aroubd were natscis and a english lit person and they said mathmos are the smartest overall 😉. I shall agree on bias if i make it if not everyone doing maths at warwick is the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When i went to my interview the people showing me aroubd were natscis and a english lit person and they said mathmos are the smartest overall 😉. I shall agree on bias if i make it if not everyone doing maths at warwick is the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh I agree with you, but I've done STEP with some of these Trinity guys and they like 3 step questions within an hour (III). Even the pooled ones were really good. Btw you saying they werent good as anyone else is because you are just as good! How was the easter school btw? Posted from TSR Mobile

Better to reply late than never!
To be fair I've done 3 in an hour before but probably on one of the mid 2000s paper - let's see if I can for the 2011-14 papers! (Highly doubt it!) (Really, like no chance.)

The Easter school was good, yeah. Definitely confirmed cambridge Maths is what I want to do. Siklos is such a good lecturer, looking forward to having him in the future.

Original post by ClickItBack
I do think Trinity mathmos are, on average, better than the average Cam mathmo, but - at least in my year - there was still a reasonable tail of them who didn't do particularly well in Tripos.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. Your experience of multiple years trumps my 5 day experience.
Original post by DomStaff
Better to reply late than never!
To be fair I've done 3 in an hour before but probably on one of the mid 2000s paper - let's see if I can for the 2011-14 papers! (Highly doubt it!) (Really, like no chance.)

The Easter school was good, yeah. Definitely confirmed cambridge Maths is what I want to do. Siklos is such a good lecturer, looking forward to having him in the future.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. Your experience of multiple years trumps my 5 day experience.

Yeh ive done that aswell III2001 but these two guys do it all the time it is scary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to sit STEP1,2 papers this year( because I have been preparing this year and I can manage grade 1), but I am not an offerholder(I didn't apply yet).I was just wondering if I can take STEP this year ,take a good mark , mention this on the application(I think it would an advantage)and if I get an offer,omit STEP2? I have the registration form, but it is asking the university I have applied to/got an offer (and I didn't).Please help me ,it is urgent...the deadline is on 30/4.
Feel so stupid to be worrying about meeting my offer when mathmos have STEP haha
Original post by Elcor
Feel so stupid to be worrying about meeting my offer when mathmos have STEP haha

We can all worry! Only yesterday I thought ****, I'm not even in Cambridge... Still actually need to get the grades

Has anyone got a step paper I can have a look at?
Original post by Vesniep
I want to sit STEP1,2 papers this year( because I have been preparing this year and I can manage grade 1), but I am not an offerholder(I didn't apply yet).I was just wondering if I can take STEP this year ,take a good mark , mention this on the application(I think it would an advantage)and if I get an offer,omit STEP2? I have the registration form, but it is asking the university I have applied to/got an offer (and I didn't).Please help me ,it is urgent...the deadline is on 30/4.

If you are good enough to get 1/S then do it as it will pretty much guarantee a place I believe. But if you don't take STEP II then you will have to take them in Yr 13 before entry to Cambridge. You will have to take STEP II/III at one point. I would take STEP I if I was in your position as I wish I did it last year just for the practice but if you think you can get an S in STEP I then go for it. You got nothing to lose adn if you do bad i believe the user by the name shamika said you do not have to declare and they wouldnt know either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elcor

Whats your offer? A*A*AA? Pembroke engineering right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Fish
We can all worry! Only yesterday I thought ****, I'm not even in Cambridge... Still actually need to get the grades

Has anyone got a step paper I can have a look at?

You do further maths i believe.
http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/STEP%20III%202007.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are good enough to get 1/S then do it as it will pretty much guarantee a place I believe. But if you don't take STEP II then you will have to take them in Yr 13 before entry to Cambridge. You will have to take STEP II/III at one point. I would take STEP I if I was in your position as I wish I did it last year just for the practice but if you think you can get an S in STEP I then go for it. You got nothing to lose adn if you do bad i believe the user by the name shamika said you do not have to declare and they wouldnt know either.
Posted from TSR Mobile

STEP1,2 are much easier than STEP3(I wanted to sit STEP3 as well, but maybe I will get 1 or 2...these are my grades most of the time).But if shamika is right, I should definetely sit STEP3 too!(right?)So about STEP1 it is not required so you only sit this for practicing, and an S/1 in STEP2 will guarantee you a place even in Trinity???That would awesome!
I have seen Trinity tests and they are quiet easier and smaller than STEP's questions.So why Trinity is considered so difficult for Maths? What qualification should you have for Trinity that other colleges don't require?As far as I am concerned, all colleges have the same difficulty,am I wrong?

Original post by Vesniep
...But if shamika is right, I should definetely sit STEP3 too!(right?)...

No, you do have to declare all previous exam results, including STEP. One of the ATs confirmed it recently (Christ's I think).

Edit to add: Christ's confirms it here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3257071&p=54972509#post54972509
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Vesniep
STEP1,2 are much easier than STEP3(I wanted to sit STEP3 as well, but maybe I will get 1 or 2...these are my grades most of the time).But if shamika is right, I should definetely sit STEP3 too!(right?)So about STEP1 it is not required so you only sit this for practicing, and an S/1 in STEP2 will guarantee you a place even in Trinity???That would awesome!
I have seen Trinity tests and they are quiet easier and smaller than STEP's questions.So why Trinity is considered so difficult for Maths? What qualification should you have for Trinity that other colleges don't require?As far as I am concerned, all colleges have the same difficulty,am I wrong?

I wouldnt do STEP III now. Just do STEP I and aim for the S and do STEP II if you think you can get an S/1 in that. Bear in mind next to no one sits step in yr 12, very few sit step I in yr 12 let alone step II.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No, you do have to declare all previous exam results, including STEP. One of the ATs confirmed it recently (Christ's I think).
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3257071&p=54972509#post54972509

I wouldnt do STEP III now. Just do STEP I and aim for the S and do STEP II if you think you can get an S/1 in that. Bear in mind next to no one sits step in yr 12, very few sit step I in yr 12 let alone step II.

Christ's Admissions said:You are supposed, however, to provide full information on your exams to UCAS and in the SAQ and not doing so could invalidate your application. Therefore,I will leave STEP3 for next year(if I pass the interview process). Thank you both!
Original post by jneill

Christ's AT probably doesnt know, as it is rare for people to apply having done STEP, but it is not an official qualification so you don't need to declare STEP results if you don't want to. Pretty sure its mentioned somewhere on the STEP website, but ive heard it from countless people nonetheless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending