The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brbwafflesyay
Has anyone received an offer pack in the post yet? Do Nottingham even send them out? I got one from all my other offers...

I only received mine today in the post, but my offer came through on the 8th April, so I'm sure yours will come soon (if it hasn't already)
Rejected! Not unexpected but wish I'd heard last week
Ah than you! That's so nice of you lol. I just accepted my unconditional offer from Notts and declined all the others because I was convinced this is the best course for me :smile:

Sorry for getting back to you quite late; did a quick search and found this article written by a friend of mine in fifth year that just recently passed his finals :P

http://blogs.nottingham.ac.uk/medschoollife/2014/06/11/research-projects-and-the-bmedsci/
I have an offer from leicester, Nottingham and Belfast. I don't really wanna go to NI so trying to choose between Leicester and Nottingham. Anyone have any information which might help me to decide which is better?

Thanks
Original post by shneebs1
I have an offer from leicester, Nottingham and Belfast. I don't really wanna go to NI so trying to choose between Leicester and Nottingham. Anyone have any information which might help me to decide which is better?

Thanks

I made the same choice yesterday (and picked Notts). Notts has more teaching hospitals and the med school is situated in QMC which is massive. They have hospital and GP visits arranged early on in the course. Leicester has more small group teaching, small clinical teaching groups, and a lot of communication skills modules with patient simulation early on. Leicester also lets you take an extra year to intercalate, whilst Notts BMedSci is integrated in the 5 years (but is less 'valued' than the BSc you get with an extra year). They both do full-body dissections and have similar course structure/teaching styles. Leicester is also opening their new medical school next year. Leicester is a small, compact campus in a cozy, friendly city. Notts has a reputation for one of the best Student Unions and campuses in the UK and has a thriving student life.

In terms of courses, they're not that different, so in this case, it's more about which one you're more attracted to and where you'd want to spend the next 5-6 years of your life.
Hi,

I have 3 offers, all conditional on achieving a 2:1 in chemistry. Is there any point in putting a back-up choice?

Thanks
Original post by shneebs1
Hi,

I have 3 offers, all conditional on achieving a 2:1 in chemistry. Is there any point in putting a back-up choice?

Thanks

Do you mean any point putting an insurance choice?
I'd say you've got nothing to lose to have an insurance. If it happens that you don't get your 2:1, there's a slight chance your insurance might be happy to let you in if you ring them up after you get your results perhaps?

Nothing to lose so I'd make an insurance choice :smile:
Could any current students give me some advice? Trying to budget for September - my loan only pays for my catered accommodation. Planning on working whilst I'm at uni but how much money would you recommend needing?
Also, how much does accommodation usually cost in 2nd-5th year?
Original post by buttered_peanut
Could any current students give me some advice? Trying to budget for September - my loan only pays for my catered accommodation. Planning on working whilst I'm at uni but how much money would you recommend needing?

my second year house was £79 a week (doesn't include bills) and my current 3rd year house is £78. This is probably about average for living in nottingham, you can find places that are more/less expensive though. In temrs of money on top of that, it's really hard to say because it depends on how much you go out etc.

oh and don't forget the accommodation is for 52 weeks of the year, not 30 like you pay in halls :smile:

I get 250f from my parents every month and its enough to survive living in self catered. I wouldnt really recommend getting any job on medical degree, but thats completely up to you!
Next year (so 2nd year at med school) I will be paying 60f/week without bills for a house of 3 people.
Reply 1190
So does that mean that some of you guys are getting a student loan for accomodation AND also paying your study fees back after you graduate? I am a French student and not too sure how it works!! :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by elly33
So does that mean that some of you guys are getting a student loan for accomodation AND also paying your study fees back after you graduate? I am a French student and not too sure how it works!! :confused:

yes. British Citizens have their fees paid and also get money for the term. We, EU students only get our fees paid but the rest you have to provide yourself.
I was wondering how recommendable the loan is? Because I saw that the interest rates for the repayment of student fees is fairly high. I'm also an EU citizen and hence not entitled to loans for maintenance costs. Thanks!
Original post by julianl
I was wondering how recommendable the loan is? Because I saw that the interest rates for the repayment of student fees is fairly high. I'm also an EU citizen and hence not entitled to loans for maintenance costs. Thanks!

well its still good to have it, especially now that pound is so expensive. However, if you are rich enough to live a decent life and pay the fees yourself, go for it :smile:
Could any current students give me some advice? Trying to budget for September - my loan only pays for my catered accommodation. Planning on working whilst I'm at uni but how much money would you recommend needing?Also, how much does accommodation usually cost in 2nd-5th year?Thanks :smile:

If you're catered, that helps a lot :smile: You'll probably not be spending much more money other than when going out (~£5 entry, £2 taxi per person (or £1 bus), and however much you'll spend on drinks - I don't drink so know nothing about prices!) and if you decide to get take out often. You'll probably also wanna stock up on snacks for when you feel peckish. So it just depends on how much you think you'll be spending :smile:

The others have suggested how much accommodation will cost in later years and I'd agree with what they've said.

Might I suggest possibly getting a job over summer rather than through term time? It's what I do to get extra money in but it's entirely up to you :smile:

Also, perhaps save a little extra for week one/freshers week because you'll most likely be out everyday of the week (unless clubbing isn't your thing)

Feel free to ask any other questions :smile:
Reply 1195
Thanks for the reply. So basically I only start to pay my Uni fees back once I graduate and when I have reached a certain salary and all the other living costs I pay myself? Is that right? So for UK students who choose to take a student loan for living costs AND don't start paying the study fees untl they start their careers start of with a much larger "debt"? Sorry to request clarification!!
Hi! After we accept our accommodation offer when do we have to fill in the residence form by? :smile: I still haven't given A2 yet so does this happen after results day?
Original post by ellie_finch
I only received mine today in the post, but my offer came through on the 8th April, so I'm sure yours will come soon (if it hasn't already)

I got my offer on the same day and still nothing in the post from Notts...:s-smilie:
Original post by elly33
Thanks for the reply. So basically I only start to pay my Uni fees back once I graduate and when I have reached a certain salary and all the other living costs I pay myself? Is that right? So for UK students who choose to take a student loan for living costs AND don't start paying the study fees untl they start their careers start of with a much larger "debt"? Sorry to request clarification!!

yes, you are right. Student finance only covers your university fees up till your 4th year (NHS pays for our 5th year).
And right again, UK students borrow more money so they have to give more back. The funny thing is that if you leave the UK, you might not actually pay your debts at all, even if you reach the appropiate salary. If you work outside the UK you are
1. reducing your chances of getting to the point of minimum salary (for example working in my home country would probably never get me to the point of minimum salary due to exchange currency rates)
2. obligated to transffer money yourself while if you work in the UK they take it automatically off your account. So you may just choose not to pay them
However, I think its not a good idea cause you should pay for your education if its not public. But just a "fun fact"
I got my offer on the same day and still nothing in the post from Notts...:s-smilie:

dont worry! If you got your offer on track its surely not a mistake so you will get your letter any time now. Maybe you just live further away and it takes longer for the Royal Mail to deliver it. Honestly, don't worry about it :smile:
Original post by Nottie
yes, you are right. Student finance only covers your university fees up till your 4th year (NHS pays for our 5th year).
And right again, UK students borrow more money so they have to give more back. The funny thing is that if you leave the UK, you might not actually pay your debts at all, even if you reach the appropiate salary. If you work outside the UK you are
1. reducing your chances of getting to the point of minimum salary (for example working in my home country would probably never get me to the point of minimum salary due to exchange currency rates)
2. obligated to transffer money yourself while if you work in the UK they take it automatically off your account. So you may just choose not to pay them
However, I think its not a good idea cause you should pay for your education if its not public. But just a "fun fact"

dont worry! If you got your offer on track its surely not a mistake so you will get your letter any time now. Maybe you just live further away and it takes longer for the Royal Mail to deliver it. Honestly, don't worry about it :smile:

What do you mean when you say that the NHS covers our fees in the fifth year? Are you talking about NHS bursaries? Because I have looked at those and they are rarely available to non-UK students.

Also, how many international (non-UK) students are tippically doing this course? It seems like there are quite a few people on this thread that are from outside the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending