The Student Room Group

(Further Maths) S3 or M3? Economics at uni?

Hi, I would like some advice as to what to take for my 6th Further Maths module.

I'm better at Mechanics than Statistics, and I feel as if I would be able to get a better mark with M3 than S3.

However, I would like to study Economics at university, and I've heard that Statistics is much more useful than Mechanics. However, is S3 really essential? I'm going to do S1 and S2 as well, but in the Economics course at university (e.g. at Cambridge, LSE), was there a lot of content from S3/was S3 useful?

Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by strawberrysnow
Hi, I would like some advice as to what to take for my 6th Further Maths module.

I'm better at Mechanics than Statistics, and I feel as if I would be able to get a better mark with M3 than S3.

However, I would like to study Economics at university, and I've heard that Statistics is much more useful than Mechanics. However, is S3 really essential? I'm going to do S1 and S2 as well, but in the Economics course at university (e.g. at Cambridge, LSE), was there a lot of content from S3/was S3 useful?

Thank you! :smile:

simply S3!
Reply 2
Do whatever you find easier. Won't make any difference to your application, no need to make getting that A* more difficult.
Original post by vela1
Do whatever you find easier. Won't make any difference to your application, no need to make getting that A* more difficult.

I'm not worried about getting the A* (I don't think you need an A* in Further Maths for Economics as far as I'm concerned).

I'm worried that if I do take M3, I'll be struggling with Statistics at university as I didn't take S3. So I was wondering how much Statistics you would need to know for Economics at university?
Original post by TeeEm
simply S3!

Can you please expand on that? Are you saying that Economics at university contains a lot of S3?
I'm not worried about getting the A* (I don't think you need an A* in Further Maths for Economics as far as I'm concerned).

I'm worried that if I do take M3, I'll be struggling with Statistics at university as I didn't take S3. So I was wondering how much Statistics you would need to know for Economics at university?

I don't do economics however I know that for most universities further maths is usually a preferred subject rather than an absolute requirement for economics. Therefore they will accept some people who can only do up to s2 so my guess is that if there was any advanced stats in there they would teach it as if everyone had never done it before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Can you please expand on that? Are you saying that Economics at university contains a lot of S3?

A lot of Stats and a lot of advanced methods i.e. FP2 and FP3.
Original post by samb1234
I don't do economics however I know that for most universities further maths is usually a preferred subject rather than an absolute requirement for economics. Therefore they will accept some people who can only do up to s2 so my guess is that if there was any advanced stats in there they would teach it as if everyone had never done it before

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. However, I think that most people who apply for economics do further maths (so they probably will have done S3) :/

I'm just very curious to how much stats will be involved - as I don't want to be the only one who hasn't done S3 and so will feel very behind and lost.
Original post by TeeEm
A lot of Stats and a lot of advanced methods i.e. FP2 and FP3.

Do you know how much stats? I will definitely do S1 and S2 but I'm worried if that's not enough? Do you know if the econ course at uni contains a lot of S3? Because if it does, I'll probably have to take S3 (or take M3, and then teach myself S3 in the summer before uni).
Thanks. However, I think that most people who apply for economics do further maths (so they probably will have done S3) :/

I'm just very curious to how much stats will be involved - as I don't want to be the only one who hasn't done S3 and so will feel very behind and lost.

I mean it's clear that s3 would be more useful than m3 for an economics degree. However, it may not be absolutely essential and it really depends on how motivated you would be taking s3 or whether you would be more likely to get a much better mark in m3 which might make it easier for you to get a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Do you know how much stats? I will definitely do S1 and S2 but I'm worried if that's not enough? Do you know if the econ course at uni contains a lot of S3? Because if it does, I'll probably have to take S3 (or take M3, and then teach myself S3 in the summer before uni).

I do not know the mathematical/statistical content of different universities (Universities are fairly autonomous in that respect)

As for modules S1 and S2 of Edexcel is significantly less than S1 + S2 of say OCR.
(Edexcel is very lightweight when it comes to Stats)
Reply 11
Original post by samb1234
I mean it's clear that s3 would be more useful than m3 for an economics degree. However, it may not be absolutely essential and it really depends on how motivated you would be taking s3 or whether you would be more likely to get a much better mark in m3 which might make it easier for you to get a place.Posted from TSR Mobile

^ agreed. The average applicant at the elite unis for Eco will have 3-4 A*s. You need to get every A* you can.
S3 much more useful for economics so S3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vela1
^ agreed. The average applicant at the elite unis for Eco will have 3-4 A*s. You need to get every A* you can.

I'm fairly certain this is incorrect.
Reply 15
Original post by keromedic
I'm fairly certain this is incorrect.

Bruh.
Original post by vela1

Bruh.

Most applicants will have As at AS level when they apply with more modest predictions. I'm well aware they tend to achieve more highly but generally 3-4A* offers won't be given.
Reply 17
Most applicants will have As at AS level when they apply with more modest predictions. I'm well aware they tend to achieve more highly but generally 3-4A* offers won't be given.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant to say those that will be applying to those unis will have predictions of 3-4 A*s but their offers will be around A*AA. As an example 3 A*s + A at AS = 480 ucas points. Many do FM and do 4 a levels.
Original post by vela1
I think you misunderstood me. I meant to say those that will be applying to those unis will have predictions of 3-4 A*s but their offers will be around A*AA. As an example 3 A*s + A at AS = 480 ucas points. Many do FM and do 4 a levels.

Are triple A* predictions really given that readily?
Reply 19
Are triple A* predictions really given that readily?

Providing you've averaged 90% on your AS' you're predicted A*. Thats how it worked at our college.
For each subject that is.

Quick Reply

Latest