The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't particularly care what happens with Wellington Silva, none of his stats suggest he's anything special at all. The "New Neymar", bull****, he's less than a year younger than Neymar and has done nothing to warrant such a comparison apart from being Brazilian and a winger/ striker. He seems like a pure investment player, one where you know you'll make a couple mil profit from when you get round to selling, but who serves no other purpose than to make the club a few bucks.
Dybala to be sold in the next 2 weeks according to chairman. If we get him then Walcotts career here is over essentially.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Dybala to be sold in the next 2 weeks according to chairman. If we get him then Walcotts career here is over essentially.

Not so sure really. From the way Wenger's been talking about Walcott it seems he wants to keep him in the squad
Original post by leinad2012
Next season we have to be challenging for the title from day one, being in the fight until the last game of the season and aiming for at least the semis in CL. Anything less would be a failure considering the fact we're only a couple of players off a complete squad (not just starting XI) really.

As for the rest of this season winning the FA Cup and beating Chelsea is the bar minimum tbh

I wouldn't be that confident we haven't competed since 2008.
Original post by Zürich
He'll be sold for about £200k./

Nah, he'll be a loan bitch. The Brazilian Joel Campbell/Ryo Miyaichi.

Original post by Mackay
Wenger's done enough to warrant another year imo.

Had Klopp left a year ago, Arsenal fans would have been clamouring for his immediate appointment. Wenger has enjoyed a growth in stature and are by far and away the form team in the PL. If you make it nine wins on the bounce at the expense of Chelsea, and reach another FA Cup final, he's had one of the best seasons of his last decade despite the disappointingly early CL exit.

He'll see out his deal until 2017. I'm sure of that.

Tbf, some idiotic fans were calling for us to get Brendan Rodgers/Roberto Martinez last season.
I see no reason why Dybala signing would mean the end for Walcott. Right now we have only really have Sanchez and Walcott as out and out wingers, Welbeck plays there but isn't great and Ox plays centrally more often than not now, and Ramsey has been good but I'd sooner see him in a central position. Dybala is only 21 so it'd only be shifting Campbell or Poldi out of the club (neither is a loss tbh) leaving us with 2 solid wingers in Sanchez and Walcott, 2 very good young wingers in Ox and Dybala and Welbeck who can be shifted to understudy to Giroud (or sold for all I care). The guy who it would hurt most is Gnabry, but he could easily be loaned out for a year or two.
Original post by al_94
I wouldn't be that confident we haven't competed since 2008.

So being top for over 100 days last year doesn't count as competing? :rolleyes:

We only need a top player or 2 and a few squad players who are versatile and we're in business for a prolonged challenge. All we need is another transfer window in the summer where no starting XI player leaves without being replaced and adding a couple of players and we'll have a strong squad for next year
Isn't Dybala a striker? Regardless of where we play him he's 21 so would have many years at the club before we'd need to start him every game. He'd be a nice fit to as back up striker and by the time Giroud's time at Arsenal is over, Dybala will hopefully be at the right age and level to become our main striker.
We dont play with 2 out and out wingers though. Santi or Ozil and even Ramsey play on the other wing to Sanchez....

If City want to offer us silly money for Theo then Im all for it. Completely indifferent to him as a player
So being top for over 100 days last year doesn't count as competing? :rolleyes:

No, because your challenge was over in February after you got butt ****ed at Anfield. You finished three positions and 7 points off the pace.

Dunno in what eyes you call that competing.
Dybala's mooted fee is £30m. Doubt he'd move anywhere if he wasn't guaranteed first team football. Being put on the same level as Chamberlain isn't in his to-do list. I know sweet f all about him other than that he's a new Aguero apparently.
Ramsey on the right wing works for the time being I guess but I think it's only here until we get Debuchy back for RB so Ramsey won't have to cover Bellerin's side anymore.
That being said, who do people want on being our first choice RB now that Debuchy IS back? Do we keep Bellerin after the form he's having or do we risk putting Debuchy back into the side after missing pretty much the whole season so there's no guarantee if he's match sharp.

Who do we put out on loan next season too, Jenkinson or Bellerin. At this point I'd rather put Bellerin out on loan to another PL side and have Jenkinson play as backup RB.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
No, because your challenge was over in February after you got butt ****ed at Anfield. You finished three positions and 7 points off the pace.

Dunno in what eyes you call that competing.

7 Points, so if the result at City had been the same as this year we'd have been in it until the last game?

The main reason we crumbled was due to **** performances against the top 4 and injuries with insufficient back up. We've already gone some way to solving the former, and only need a few players to solve the latter...
Original post by AR_95
Ramsey on the right wing works for the time being I guess but I think it's only here until we get Debuchy back for RB so Ramsey won't have to cover Bellerin's side anymore.
That being said, who do people want on being our first choice RB now that Debuchy IS back? Do we keep Bellerin after the form he's having or do we risk putting Debuchy back into the side after missing pretty much the whole season so there's no guarantee if he's match sharp.

Who do we put out on loan next season too, Jenkinson or Bellerin. At this point I'd rather put Bellerin out on loan to another PL side and have Jenkinson play as backup RB.

Jenkinson would challenge Debuchy for starting RB position, Bellerin has more chance of taking RW position off Welbeck than RB. Is it even a genuine question?
Jenkinson would challenge Debuchy for starting RB position, Bellerin has more chance of taking RW position off Welbeck than RB. Is it even a genuine question?

There's no reason to put him on RW though ffs. He's pacey I'll give him that but generally his link up play with the rest of the squad is quite poor along with his decision making. Not that I'm blaming him because he's only 20 but just because he's better than Welbeck doesn't mean either of them deserve a spot on the wing. I'd much rather buy a new winger this summer tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
There's no reason to put him on RW though ffs. He's pacey I'll give him that but generally his link up play with the rest of the squad is quite poor along with his decision making. Not that I'm blaming him because he's only 20 but just because he's better than Welbeck doesn't mean either of them deserve a spot on the wing. I'd much rather buy a new winger this summer tbh.

That's my point, he can't defend for **** and makes up for it offensively. Which is why loaning him over Jenk next season is a no brainer.

Agree on the winger front, we definitely need a new one
Welbeck on the wing contributes more defensively than Bellerin.
7 Points, so if the result at City had been the same as this year we'd have been in it until the last game?

The main reason we crumbled was due to **** performances against the top 4 and injuries with insufficient back up. We've already gone some way to solving the former, and only need a few players to solve the latter...

It wasn't just a case of injuries though. We lost needless points in fixtures such as Swansea (flamini own goal..) Southampton away, Villa at home etc and we should have beat UTD at home too.
Legit excited to see Diaby on the bench for Saturday :awesome:

Good to also see that Szczesny will be starting against Reading, Wenger's been really tough on him (rightly so). Honestly didn't think he'll be out this long.
So Chelsea have Man U and Arsenal up next.. if your to scrape a title this has to be the time you do it (plus get a bit lucky).

Latest