The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Disney0702
What's the difference between magnetic field and electric field.

For some reason I just can't wrap my head around it. :confused:

A magnetic field is a field created by a magnetic pole, and its fields lines are conventionally the direction that a free north pole would move.

An electric field is a field created by a charged particle, and its fields lines are conventionally the direction that a free positive test charge would move.

The idea of the two are quite abstract and hard to explain - I certainly can't claim to be an expert. I'm trying to simply force myself to at least regurgitate the textbook. :confused:
Original post by CD223
A magnetic field is a field created by a magnetic pole, and its fields lines are conventionally the direction that a free north pole would move.

An electric field is a field created by a charged particle, and its fields lines are conventionally the direction that a free positive test charge would move.

The idea of the two are quite abstract and hard to explain - I certainly can't claim to be an expert. I'm trying to simply force myself to at least regurgitate the textbook. :confused:

Yes the idea is pretty abstract.

Thank you very much for your explanation it actually helped. :smile:
Reply 922
Yes the idea is pretty abstract.

Thank you very much for your explanation it actually helped. :smile:

Oh, well I'm glad it kinda assisted! I'll never fully understand those concepts, but hey! I won't need to after the 11th of June haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh, well I'm glad it kinda assisted! I'll never fully understand those concepts, but hey! I won't need to after the 11th of June haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yh you're absolutely right! :smile:

Gosh the exam is so close!!!

What course are you planning to do at University?
I bought " physics for you" book for revision. Honesty, I haven't had a sufficient time to read through it, so I can't tell you guys about the quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 925
yh you're absolutely right! :smile:

Gosh the exam is so close!!!

What course are you planning to do at University?

It's too close for comfort :/ Computer Science at Bath - you?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 926
Original post by Samphosrattana
I bought " physics for you" book for revision. Honesty, I haven't had a sufficient time to read through it, so I can't tell you guys about the quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh nice! Let us know once you get the chance to read it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 927
Just done my mock it was the jun 14 paper. It went so badly time wise. It was frustrating because I knew how to answer things but I just couldn't get them done on time! :frown: dreading this exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 928
Original post by _Caz_
Just done my mock it was the jun 14 paper. It went so badly time wise. It was frustrating because I knew how to answer things but I just couldn't get them done on time! :frown: dreading this exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm dreading it too. Physics is my weakest subject. I admire anyone who manages to get an A* because it's impossible to fluke one haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 929
Original post by CD223
I'm dreading it too. Physics is my weakest subject. I admire anyone who manages to get an A* because it's impossible to fluke one haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how I'm going to get any quicker :frown: all my subjects are just getting in top of me at the moment it sucks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 930
Original post by CD223
Lucky! Do you think it's worth doing flash cards of previous six markers' mark schemes in case there's a repeat question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've got the spare time then doing them might be useful (it certainly can't be harmful seeing as they're all points that could come up in shorter questions usually!), but otherwise I think having done them all at least once and gone through the markschemes carefully would be enough - that way you're familiar with them and you can learn the points you didn't know/got wrong.
Reply 931
Original post by _Caz_
I don't know how I'm going to get any quicker :frown: all my subjects are just getting in top of me at the moment it sucks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah me too - strength in numbers eh!

Maybe do papers without timed conditions for now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 932
Original post by Lau14
If you've got the spare time then doing them might be useful (it certainly can't be harmful seeing as they're all points that could come up in shorter questions usually!), but otherwise I think having done them all at least once and gone through the markschemes carefully would be enough - that way you're familiar with them and you can learn the points you didn't know/got wrong.

Good idea - I guess doing them over and over is a better approach.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 933
has anyone doe the AQA EMPA yet?
Reply 934
Original post by lion123
has anyone doe the AQA EMPA yet?

Section A or B? Because people aren't likely to have done section B (I don't think anyone in the country has, as there's only a fortnight window).
Reply 935
section A if possible. thanks, i don't have sectionB for a few weeks either
Reply 936
Original post by lion123
section A if possible. thanks, i don't have sectionB for a few weeks either

Oh. I'm sure a few people have done section A. I did mine before Easter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh nice! Let us know once you get the chance to read it :smile:
Sure.😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can anyone please help me with slit spacing and diffraction gratings 😃
Reply 939
Original post by CD223
Good idea - I guess doing them over and over is a better approach.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even doing them once and keeping a list of the questions to read over would probably cover it! I'm never good at repeating questions/papers, I just get really bored and give up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending