The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leinad2012
So being top for over 100 days last year doesn't count as competing? :rolleyes:

We only need a top player or 2 and a few squad players who are versatile and we're in business for a prolonged challenge. All we need is another transfer window in the summer where no starting XI player leaves without being replaced and adding a couple of players and we'll have a strong squad for next year

No we were no competition we were out of the title race by March. Hopefully next year we will return to the top of the mountain but I doubt that will happen as long as Wenger is in charge.
Even if they lose to UTD and us we'd still be around 4 points behind. Sick to death of hearing the title ffs
Original post by AR_95
Even if they lose to UTD and us we'd still be around 4 points behind. Sick to death of hearing the title ffs

You want them to beat utd actually. 2nd even if you lose at OT
Original post by shawn_o1
You want them to beat utd actually. 2nd even if you lose at OT

Yeah I do, games at OT and playing Chelsea means we could drop back to 3rd or even 4th
Original post by AR_95
It wasn't just a case of injuries though. We lost needless points in fixtures such as Swansea (flamini own goal..) Southampton away, Villa at home etc and we should have beat UTD at home too.

Definitely add I've said on here before our big problem is the 6-10 teams but taking what 3 points from the current other top 5 teams was the big problem.

Chelsea haven't lost a head to head against any of the top 5 this season (I.e. always got the same or more points from their two fixtures against top 5) so its clear where we've gone wrong.

We're the form side in Europe right now and only need a few players to add to complement the team and take it to the next level. Next season is going to be a huge 3 way battle for the title
Yeah the title was officially won last week tbh if they'd dropped points to QPR it might just be doable but Chelsea have to drop at least 10 points from 6 games, 2 of which are guaranteed wins at home to midtable fodder. Its over and anyone saying anything else is deluded
Definitely add I've said on here before our big problem is the 6-10 teams but taking what 3 points from the current other top 5 teams was the big problem.

Chelsea haven't lost a head to head against any of the top 5 this season (I.e. always got the same or more points from their two fixtures against top 5) so its clear where we've gone wrong.

We're the form side in Europe right now and only need a few players to add to complement the team and take it to the next level. Next season is going to be a huge 3 way battle for the title

Oh I was referring to games last season haha but yeah this season has been quite poor in that regard too
Who cares about form? We are out of the PL race, CL and we only have to beat Reading to get to the final. It's too late now we should have performed at the beginning of the season.
Original post by AR_95
Oh I was referring to games last season haha but yeah this season has been quite poor in that regard too

Yeah I know, its problem we've had for a few seasons now tbh
Original post by al_94
Who cares about form? We are out of the PL race, CL and we only have to beat Reading to get to the final. It's too late now we should have performed at the beginning of the season.

Have you ever said anything positive on this thread...or on tsr at all?

It matters in respect to starting strong next season and what we can do with a fully fit squad. It showed last season when we finished the 2012-2013 campaign strongly leading to us starting last season very strong

It matters in respect to starting strong next season and what we can do with a fully fit squad. It showed last season when we finished the 2012-2013 campaign strongly leading to us starting last season very strong

I will be positive when we win the PL I'm sick of failing. The team and the manager have let us down time and time again we need to win the league. We should be chasing Man Utd and Liverpool's record for PL titles not allowing Chelsea to catch up to us.
I saw something the other day, sorry if it's a repost on here:

Media: Arsenal have a chance at winning the league.
Arsenal fans: Lol nah, we have no chance.
Chelsea fans: AHA ARSENAL THINK THEY CAN WIN THE LEAGUE
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Legit excited to see Diaby on the bench for Saturday :awesome:

Good to also see that Szczesny will be starting against Reading, Wenger's been really tough on him (rightly so). Honestly didn't think he'll be out this long.

“Diaby won’t be in the squad against Reading,” said the Frenchman. “He’s not completely ready for this kind of game.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-press-conference-recap-arsene-5527320

Arsenal had a very easy run of games to start that season though. The first 12-14 games couldn't have been any more generous. It always seems to be the way with Arsenal that they either seem to **** up at the start and finish strongly or start strongly and **** up at the end.

My concern if I were an Arsenal fan right now would be that Wenger overrates the current squad and doesn't add to it in the summer.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Legit excited to see Diaby on the bench for Saturday :awesome:

Good to also see that Szczesny will be starting against Reading, Wenger's been really tough on him (rightly so). Honestly didn't think he'll be out this long.

Ospina has done nothing to warrant being dropped.
Reply 7334
Original post by AR_95
It wasn't just a case of injuries though. We lost needless points in fixtures such as Swansea (flamini own goal..) Southampton away, Villa at home etc and we should have beat UTD at home too.

I think those type of games that you had against Swansea, Southampton and Villa aren't really as big a problem as they are made out to be personally, seeing as you only dropped 11 points out of the teams outside of the top 7, which was a better record than everyone else that was in the top 4 in that season. Of course, it's a bit worse this season mainly because you have had more injuries (with your defence less intact, as opposed to last season) which have disrupted the balance of the team. Those injury problems that you have had should be minimized by adding more depth in the summer and proper rotation (Yes, Mourinho isn't the only one with this problem).

You should have beaten Utd at home and away from home tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Arsenal had a very easy run of games to start that season though. The first 12-14 games couldn't have been any more generous. It always seems to be the way with Arsenal that they either seem to **** up at the start and finish strongly or start strongly and **** up at the end.

My concern if I were an Arsenal fan right now would be that Wenger overrates the current squad and doesn't add to it in the summer.

Ospina has done nothing to warrant being dropped.

Very true our first 10 games last year were piss easy tbh. I've said it on this forum a few times, we seem to work in calender years rather than seasons when it comes to form; killed it in 2013 (most points over the calender year), then flopped in 2014, and have started 22015 very well (most points so far).

Also completely agree, right now the biggest issue will be Wengs thinking we don't need anyone major in the summer
I did my calculations and Arsenal would still have finished fourth in terms of points over calendar year 2014:
Chelsea 88
Man City 88
Liverpool 76
Arsenal 70
Man Utd 66
Tottenham 66
Southampton 62
Everton 56
West Ham 56
Stoke 54
Swansea 49
Crystal Palace 45
Sunderland 44
Newcastle 42
Aston Villa 39
West Brom 35
Hull 30
Reply 7337
I did my calculations and Arsenal would still have finished fourth in terms of points over calendar year 2014:
Chelsea 88
Man City 88
Liverpool 76
Arsenal 70
Man Utd 66
Tottenham 66
Southampton 62
Everton 56
West Ham 56
Stoke 54
Swansea 49
Crystal Palace 45
Sunderland 44
Newcastle 42
Aston Villa 39
West Brom 35
Hull 30

Not sure if this is a reply to me, but I actually mean the 2013/14 season.
Chelsea 88
Man City 88
Liverpool 76
Arsenal 70
Man Utd 66
Tottenham 66
Southampton 62
Everton 56
West Ham 56
Stoke 54
Swansea 49
Crystal Palace 45
Sunderland 44
Newcastle 42
Aston Villa 39
West Brom 35
Hull 30

What calculations are these
Chelsea 88
Man City 88
Liverpool 76
Arsenal 70
Man Utd 66
Tottenham 66
Southampton 62
Everton 56
West Ham 56
Stoke 54
Swansea 49
Crystal Palace 45
Sunderland 44
Newcastle 42
Aston Villa 39
West Brom 35
Hull 30

impresive, considering that was a terrible end to the season, coupled with a terrible start to the season.

Latest