The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Disney0702
Ooooh I think that is actually a pretty good guess because the past exam questions have predominantly been Nuclear Physics. :smile:

yeah exactly, they havent asked something realted to thermal physics for while and they have pretty much asekd everything you can about nuclear unless they repeat a question (which might be even more helpful)
Original post by Ilovemaths96
yeah exactly, they havent asked something realted to thermal physics for while and they have pretty much asekd everything you can about nuclear unless they repeat a question (which might be even more helpful)

I think it is highly likely for them to put a thermal question.

As much as I'd prefer them to put a repeated question I think it is quite unlikely because they'll stop the current specification that we're on next year and will produce a different set of exams. Next years A2 students will be the last set of students that will sit these set of exams.

So with that in mind I think they would like to throw as many different questions as they like at us.
Reply 382
But what other six markers could they possibly ask on thermal other than related to deriving pressure, which would effectively make it a repeated question anyway? Thermal is a small topic that's very low on actual content, they'd struggle to ask six markers on it which is why they've mostly been nuclear in the past because they can actually have some variation there.
Reply 383
Original post by Disney0702
I think it is highly likely for them to put a thermal question.

As much as I'd prefer them to put a repeated question I think it is quite unlikely because they'll stop the current specification that we're on next year and will produce a different set of exams. Next years A2 students will be the last set of students that will sit these set of exams.

So with that in mind I think they would like to throw as many different questions as they like at us.

I hadn't thought of it like that - ouch :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
Original post by Lau14
But what other six markers could they possibly ask on thermal other than related to deriving pressure, which would effectively make it a repeated question anyway? Thermal is a small topic that's very low on actual content, they'd struggle to ask six markers on it which is why they've mostly been nuclear in the past because they can actually have some variation there.

Specific heat capacity? Specific latent heat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 385
Original post by CD223
Specific heat capacity? Specific latent heat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you could really make a six marker on those though seeing as they're only definitions and two simple formulae?
Reply 386
Original post by Lau14
I don't think you could really make a six marker on those though seeing as they're only definitions and two simple formulae?

I suppose you could make a six marker out of an experiment to find the specific heat capacity of a substance quite easily though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 387
Original post by CD223
I suppose you could make a six marker out of an experiment to find the specific heat capacity of a substance quite easily though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, think that's about the only possible other thermal question though which wouldn't be too bad!
Reply 388
Original post by Lau14
True, think that's about the only possible other thermal question though which wouldn't be too bad!

Yeah it's difficult to predict AQA though! I'm trying to spot a pattern. Both of last year's papers were repeat questions (or at least incredibly similar), so I'm hoping this year is the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 389
Original post by CD223
Yeah it's difficult to predict AQA though! I'm trying to spot a pattern. Both of last year's papers were repeat questions (or at least incredibly similar), so I'm hoping this year is the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do tend to be pretty lazy with repeating question on physics papers though, they're very often the exact same with literally nothing changed!
Reply 390
Original post by Lau14
They do tend to be pretty lazy with repeating question on physics papers though, they're very often the exact same with literally nothing changed!

True. Wish all exams were like that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 391
Original post by Lau14

A possibility of a practical to calculate latent heat, or specific heat (lead tube for example?). I don't know, I'm just clutching at straws to cover any possible base.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 392
Original post by Amanzz
A possibility of a practical to calculate latent heat, or specific heat (lead tube for example?). I don't know, I'm just clutching at straws to cover any possible base.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean an inversion tube experiment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 393
Original post by CD223
True. Wish all exams were like that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it isn't even something I've seen in other AQA subjects that I've done it just seems to be physics?
Reply 394
Original post by Lau14
Yeah it isn't even something I've seen in other AQA subjects that I've done it just seems to be physics?

Yeah idk. Computing is very repetitive. I revised it last year by looking at mark schemes and got 130 UMS 😂 it degrades the value of the mark you get though I think... Even with the repetitiveness of physics I still struggle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 395
Original post by CD223
Yeah idk. Computing is very repetitive. I revised it last year by looking at mark schemes and got 130 UMS it degrades the value of the mark you get though I think... Even with the repetitiveness of physics I still struggle!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never saw a single repeat question in biology (other than the unavoidable one markers type thing) I don't think.
Yeah when you get an exact repeat question that you remember doing two weeks ago it's like... well I already knew that one so it doesn't seem to count as much? But they come in handy (particularly in the multiple choice section) for cutting down on time!
Reply 396
Original post by Lau14
I never saw a single repeat question in biology (other than the unavoidable one markers type thing) I don't think.
Yeah when you get an exact repeat question that you remember doing two weeks ago it's like... well I already knew that one so it doesn't seem to count as much? But they come in handy (particularly in the multiple choice section) for cutting down on time!

It's annoying when revising because it's always just my luck that they throw a curveball in the real thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 397
Original post by CD223
It's annoying when revising because it's always just my luck that they throw a curveball in the real thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah nothing like doing loads of past papers and getting into it and turning up to the exam and having even one or two different types of questions that throw you off :/
Reply 398
Original post by Lau14
Yeah nothing like doing loads of past papers and getting into it and turning up to the exam and having even one or two different types of questions that throw you off :/

Totally! Have you encountered any "funny" physics papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 399
Original post by CD223
Totally! Have you encountered any "funny" physics papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not that I can think of? There was one six marker on finding acceleration or something involving capacitors which threw me for a moment but made sense after doing part b anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending