Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Google is your friend :smile: good luck
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Original post by hammzzeee
Hey guys :smile:

I got an offer from London met on the condition that I have to pass the Maths and English test. If anyone has done that before, could you please tell me what the test is all about, what the questions are like and what score you need to pass the test?

Hello!

Sorry this is such a late reply, but hopefully it might still be useful to you.

Generally speaking we ask applicants to take Maths and English tests in lieu of providing us with evidence of a GCSE grade C in those two subjects. Consequently the tests are set at a standard equivalent to that. Usually we recommend the BBC Bitesize website as a good starting point for working out what to revise.

If you haven't taken the tests yet then good luck (if you have then I hope you smashed them!).

Kind regards,
Simon
Reply 3
I've already seen that site, im wondering how the test is like? is it like a multiple choice, then essay writing and such? I hope you can help cause i'd really like to prepare well for the test. Cheers!
Original post by mdquin
I've already seen that site, im wondering how the test is like? is it like a multiple choice, then essay writing and such? I hope you can help cause i'd really like to prepare well for the test. Cheers!

Hello,

I believe the English test will draw on a number of elements from below (although please bear in mind the test is set to a standard so the form and questions are not always the same, however the pass mark will always be set to the same level)

There are several elements to the test. There's a reading comprehension part, in which you are given a piece of prose and then asked to assess if statements are true or to answer various questions based on information contained in the text.

There is also a short essay-writing component, designed to assess your writing skills and your ability to debate a topic using sufficiently academic form.

There is also a grammar test, and this (I believe) takes the form of a multiple choice test whereby you'll be shown four sentences and you'll have to pick the one that makes the most 'sense' and has the correct tenses/spelling etc.

The maths test will ask a wide range of questions, an remember as with most maths exams there are points available for showing you working, so always show your method as you can marks for this even your ultimate answer is wrong.

I really hope that helps, and sorry I can't be more useful. I wish you luck and would really like to hear how you got on.

Kind regards,
Simon
Reply 5
Original post by London Metropolitan University
Hello,

I believe the English test will draw on a number of elements from below (although please bear in mind the test is set to a standard so the form and questions are not always the same, however the pass mark will always be set to the same level)

There are several elements to the test. There's a reading comprehension part, in which you are given a piece of prose and then asked to assess if statements are true or to answer various questions based on information contained in the text.

There is also a short essay-writing component, designed to assess your writing skills and your ability to debate a topic using sufficiently academic form.

There is also a grammar test, and this (I believe) takes the form of a multiple choice test whereby you'll be shown four sentences and you'll have to pick the one that makes the most 'sense' and has the correct tenses/spelling etc.

The maths test will ask a wide range of questions, an remember as with most maths exams there are points available for showing you working, so always show your method as you can marks for this even your ultimate answer is wrong.

I really hope that helps, and sorry I can't be more useful. I wish you luck and would really like to hear how you got on.

Kind regards,
Simon

Hey! Thanks for your help! I passed the test and now i have an unconditional offer! :smile:
Original post by mdquin
Hey! Thanks for your help! I passed the test and now i have an unconditional offer! :smile:

Great stuff, congratulations! :party2:
Reply 7
can i have the answers please, because i have to sit mine on the 3rd of june thanks.
Original post by dre100
can i have the answers please, because i have to sit mine on the 3rd of june thanks.

Nice try, but no :smile:

Good luck with the test, though. Earlier in the thread I've posted a link to a handy revision website, it might be useful to you. If you haven't sat any exams or tests for a while it might be worth having a go at some of the questions in a mock-exam style: there's very little that's more frustrating than missing out on marks because you ran out of time, or because of a lack of exam experience and not because you didn't know the answer!

Anyway, good luck again and I hope you do really well.

Kind regards,
Simon
Reply 9
Okay, Thanks!
Reply 10
Hello how did you find the maths test? was it hard? I have a conditional offer for london met but have to do a maths test :frown:
Hello, wondering if anyone could tell me what the questions are like? My maths is really bad and while I’ve been revising I’m still really nervous that I won’t make the grade! Any help would be appreciated. Are the questions incredibly hard or are they checking for basic understand
Reply 12
Just did my entry maths test there at London Metropolitan today. There are lots of questions that involve algebra, finding the square root of a number and things like that, some fractions questions (adding and subtracting), some mean, median and mode questions and a lot of questions that involve shapes and AREA, including finding the sizes of angles etc. Personally Im sure I flopped the test because Im pretty **** at maths and I didn't have much time to revise on it. They're basically equivalent to GCSE questions at grade C. Hope this helps anybody else that's about to do a maths test there. Good luck :smile:
Hi dp781, I have a maths test Aswell...was it none calculator?? It sounds hard 😫😫😫
Reply 14
Hi, yes it’s a non-calculator test. But put it this way, it’s only hard if you don’t practice. It’s roughly equivalent to a grade C in GCSE. Make sure you know how to do multiplication, division and subtraction on paper and revise a lot of algebra and all the stuff on shapes etc then you should be fine. It’s not worth the worry though tbh. If you fail then it’s not the end of the world. I’m probably going to have to attend uni next year instead because I’m sure I failed mine. I wish you the best of luck!
😃😃thankyou ...I wish u the best also
Reply 16
Hi - thanks so much for this, looked for feedback everywhere on this exam! Was it computer based? How long do results take
Reply 17
Done it before it's computer-based for English. Very easy. Maths is hard.it's on paper.
Reply 18
Hi - thanks so much for this, looked for feedback everywhere on this exam! Was it computer based? How long do results take?

Would you suggest going over the whole syllabus or focusing more on the few things?
Reply 19
The english test. Is very basic you don't need to revise anything. Unless they changed it. Results will get back to you on that day or the following. I suggest revising for maths. Which is the hardest.

Latest

Trending

Trending