The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster/ St Olaves

so i've received a place at both Harris Westminster Sixth Form and St Olave's Grammar School but i'm having problems picking which sixth form i want to study at. Unfortunately i missed both open evenings, so i dont really know much about them (well besides what it say's on their websites). I've read articles about the schools but i'd really like to know some more opinions, hopefully from people who actually attended the schools or went to the open evenings. For now, i'm leaning towards Harris Westminster because i loved the atmosphere while i was there for the interview and exam ( the teachers also seemed nice). However, since its a new school they have no results yet and therefore I feel as though i'd be taking a big risk if i did decide to go there. Any opinions about either St Olave's or Harris Westminster would be appreciated :biggrin:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by Evelixx
so i've received a place at both Harris Westminster Sixth Form and St Olave's Grammar School but i'm having problems picking which sixth form i want to study at. Unfortunately i missed both open evenings, so i dont really know much about them (well besides what it say's on their websites). I've read articles about the schools but i'd really like to know some more opinions, hopefully from people who actually attended the schools or went to the open evenings. For now, i'm leaning towards Harris Westminster because i loved the atmosphere while i was there for the interview and exam ( the teachers also seemed nice). However, since its a new school they have no results yet and therefore I feel as though i'd be taking a big risk if i did decide to go there. Any opinions about either St Olave's or Harris Westminster would be appreciated :biggrin:

There was an article about Harris Westminster in the Times yesterday - Thursday. Basically saying that the head is brilliant and all the teachers are top notch - but they are yet to get results as they are now just starting A levels. I think it will be a very good school because all the pupils want to be there and there will be no room for slackers - tough choice.

Having seen three kids myself through A levels - if you want to be there and you work hard then you will be fine. There is no way that the teachers are going to let you coast and as their aim is to get loads into Oxbridge then if that is where you want to go then you should go.
Reply 3
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Thank you so much for telling me :biggrin: This is my first time posting on a thread so i appreciate the advice :tongue:
Reply 4
I'd say Olave's, but I might be biased. Did you come to the congratulations evening?
The teaching is good, there are a lot of good opportunities in loads of different areas and the people genuinely seem nice. They're not as boring and geeky as people think.
Another point to consider is that Harris Westminster as a school is still very new, meaning that thugs might change in the future.
At the end of the day it's your choice, there's no need to make a decision till late august, accept both offers and see how you feel then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Evelixx

In terms of reputation, St Olaves does seem like the better choice. The resources we have here are pretty great and if you want to do well in your A Levels, Olaves has pretty much everything you'd need.

Harris Westminster is meant to be 'up and coming' though and if you felt more comfortable there, it's probably the right choice for you. I think Olave's can seem quite intimidating when you first come and that might have put you off. If you don't feel like you'll be happy here then, by all means, Harris Westminster will be the better choice.
Reply 6
Original post by Magnesium
In terms of reputation, St Olaves does seem like the better choice. The resources we have here are pretty great and if you want to do well in your A Levels, Olaves has pretty much everything you'd need.

Harris Westminster is meant to be 'up and coming' though and if you felt more comfortable there, it's probably the right choice for you. I think Olave's can seem quite intimidating when you first come and that might have put you off. If you don't feel like you'll be happy here then, by all means, Harris Westminster will be the better choice.

Like you said i did find St Olave's to be a little intimidating and the atmosphere didn't seem as nice as the Harris Westminster one however that's based only on the short 30 minutes i spent outside of the exam hall at St Olave's and the 20 minute interview at Harris Westminster so i could very well be wrong. Besides i feel like the 'atmosphere' should really be the last of my worries. I'm more concerned on the teaching and opportunities offered at the schools, along with how they prepare you for university. If anyone could tell me some pros and cons for any of the schools that would be awesome :biggrin:
Original post by Evelixx

Hi there!
As a student in Harris Westminster Sixth form, I would be more than happy to tell you a bit about our school.

Harris Westminster Sixth form is difficult to compare to other sixth forms, (having no previous results)!
This was something that worried me last year. I was in a similar situation as you ,as I had the choice between a leading sixth form and HWSF. I chose HWSF because it's such a unique school and opportunity and was certianly worth the risk.

We are a school aiming to eventually get 50% of our students to Oxbridge and our timetables and ethos reflects this.
-> Every thursday we have an optional "lab lecture" , where professors, lawyers,journalists ect. Lecture on their chosen topic
-> some students are then able to have afternoon tea with the lecturer for the chance to ask more detailed questions
->we have 4 lessons a week dedicated to cultural perspectives, where you able to choose 3 courses on a variety of different topics
-> sport on Tuesday is a chance to do something different an releasse some steam!

As I am sure you can tell, our timetables are packed with learning outside of what is on our subject curriculam. Our headteacher's favourite phrase is "learning is amazing", we hear this at least once a week and is incorporated in all our lessons.

I hope this is useful! If you have any more questions feel free to PM me!
Original post by Evelixx
Hey, I know this might be a bit late, but having been to three different sixth forms this year (including Harris Westminster AND St Olave's; I also went to St Olave's from Years 7-11), feel free to PM me if you still need help deciding! I was in the exact same position as you last year :')
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Thanks for the input!
How was your academic year?
Reply 10
What would you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
in the exact same boat here as the OP.
I want to know what the people at either school are like to see where I would fit in better but... everything's based on prejudice so far.
Reply 12
Hi, which school did u chose to go to finally?
Reply 13
Original post by janagam
Hi, which school did u chose to go to finally?

I chose Harris Westminster - for better or for worse, idk.
Hi ,How was the experience at Hwsf?My son got a conditional offer and I am confused Thanks

Latest