The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EdwardElric
Ang Gundam fans here? I want to get into watching the series, but I'm not sure where to start and which viewing order is best. Which ones are worth watching and which ones aren't? I've been told SEED isn't that good but I'll probably end up watching it anyway for completion's sake.

If you're looking to get into the main timeline of Gundam (Universal Century) I'd probably recommend starting with the 3 compilation films of the original 0079 TV series or the 0080 War in the Pocket OVA or the 08th MS Team OVA before moving onto the Zeta TV series.

If you're looking to sample one of the AU Gundam shows that's pretty self contained and easy to watch I'd probably recommend Gundam Wing (it's my favourite) or G Gundam (which is hilarious). SEED is okay (the characters are a bit obnoxious), but SEED Destiny is an absolute trainwreck of a show that I really couldn't recommend to anyone. Gundam 00 is also pretty fun for the most part, but again the second season was a bit of a disaster.

Of the more recent Gundam series I have to say that Gundam Build Fighters is fecking amazing, but having a few Gundam shows under your belt first massively ups the enjoyment factor. It is a show that is made by fans for fans of the franchise and is full of homages and Easter eggs. Gundam AGE was very decent, until it took a nosedive in the 3rd act and ended on a bad note.

Avoid Gundam G no Reconguista like the plague - worst show I have seen in a while, it made absolutely no sense at all! May also want to skip Turn A Gundam until you've seen some Universal Century shows - ditto for Gundam Unicorn - both are excellent and mostly stand alone, but do make more sense if you have some understanding of Universal Century events.

Hope that helps a bit! I do enjoy Gundam :giggle:
(edited 9 years ago)

Cheers AJ:smile:, I would rep you but it seems I do it too often:lol:.
Original post by caraniel
If you're looking to get into the main timeline of Gundam (Universal Century) I'd probably recommend starting with the 3 compilation films of the original 0079 TV series or the 0080 War in the Pocket OVA or the 08th MS Team OVA before moving onto the Zeta TV series.

If you're looking to sample one of the AU Gundam shows that's pretty self contained and easy to watch I'd probably recommend Gundam Wing (it's my favourite) or G Gundam (which is hilarious). SEED is okay (the characters are a bit obnoxious), but SEED Destiny is an absolute trainwreck of a show that I really couldn't recommend to anyone. Gundam 00 is also pretty fun for the most part, but again the second season was a bit of a disaster.

Of the more recent Gundam series I have to say that Gundam Build Fighters is fecking amazing, but having a few Gundam shows under your belt first massively ups the enjoyment factor. It is a show that is made by fans for fans of the franchise and is full of homages and Easter eggs. Gundam AGE was very decent, until it took a nosedive in the 3rd act and ended on a bad note.

Avoid Gundam G no Reconguista like the plague - worst show I have seen in a while, it made absolutely no sense at all! May also want to skip Turn A Gundam until you've seen some Universal Century shows - ditto for Gundam Unicorn - both are excellent and mostly stand alone, but do make more sense if you have some understanding of Universal Century events.

Hope that helps a bit! I do enjoy Gundam :giggle:

Wow! Thank you for the help! You do know your Gundam.

I was thinking of starting with Universal Century, so I'll check out the movies. I was just thinking of starting with the first series but I wasn't sure. It seems a little confusing but I think I'll try to follow the Universal Century for now. Mecha is a genre I want to watch more of and Gundam seems to be the Holy Grail of mecha anime.
Wow! Thank you for the help! You do know your Gundam.

I was thinking of starting with Universal Century, so I'll check out the movies. I was just thinking of starting with the first series but I wasn't sure. It seems a little confusing but I think I'll try to follow the Universal Century for now. Mecha is a genre I want to watch more of and Gundam seems to be the Holy Grail of mecha anime.

I was struggling to get through the TV series for the original series, so just watched the compilation movies - they're pretty good actually. Getting into UC is a bit daunting, my gateway series was actually Gundam Wing way back in the 90s, I didn't actually bother with UC stuff until about 4-5 years ago.

The chronological order for UC is:

0079 - Original series
0080 - War in the Pocket & 08th MS Team OVA's (take place during original series, but focus on events happening elsewhere - can be skipped, but they are well worth watching)
0083 - Stardust Memory OVA (bridges gap between end of original show & Zeta)
Zeta TV series
ZZ TV series (can safely be skipped - it is not good. At all.)
Char's Counterattack movie
F91 movie
Gundam Unicorn
I was struggling to get through the TV series for the original series, so just watched the compilation movies - they're pretty good actually. Getting into UC is a bit daunting, my gateway series was actually Gundam Wing way back in the 90s, I didn't actually bother with UC stuff until about 4-5 years ago.

The chronological order for UC is:

0079 - Original series
0080 - War in the Pocket & 08th MS Team OVA's (take place during original series, but focus on events happening elsewhere - can be skipped, but they are well worth watching)
0083 - Stardust Memory OVA (bridges gap between end of original show & Zeta)
Zeta TV series
ZZ TV series (can safely be skipped - it is not good. At all.)
Char's Counterattack movie
F91 movie
Gundam Unicorn

I'll keep that in mind. I might just start with an unrelated one to UC just to get a feel for the series. Gurren Lagann is another mecha I want to start once I finish Evangelion, but I've been told to watch a 6 part OVA called Gunbuster before that (I think they relate in some way?).
I'll keep that in mind. I might just start with an unrelated one to UC just to get a feel for the series. Gurren Lagann is another mecha I want to start once I finish Evangelion, but I've been told to watch a 6 part OVA called Gunbuster before that (I think they relate in some way?).

The AU Gundams all have their own vibe - but you get the general Sunrise Gundam feel from the majority of them.

Gurren Lagann is brilliant - definitely one of my all time favs. Gunbuster is completely unrelated, but it is from the same Studio so shares a lot of similar themes. Gunbuster 2 (more commonly known as Diebuster) is probably more similar though as it has a similar animation style to TTGL.

I'm a bit of a mecha fan so if you want any other recs just ask!
The AU Gundams all have their own vibe - but you get the general Sunrise Gundam feel from the majority of them.

Gurren Lagann is brilliant - definitely one of my all time favs. Gunbuster is completely unrelated, but it is from the same Studio so shares a lot of similar themes. Gunbuster 2 (more commonly known as Diebuster) is probably more similar though as it has a similar animation style to TTGL.

I'm a bit of a mecha fan so if you want any other recs just ask!

Thanks! I might just start TTGL after I finish Evangelion then. Although I'll look into the NGE movies as well since I've heard the ending was unsatsisfying for some. Patlabor is another one I've heard good things about.
This morning had a weird dream. I was with anime characters at a dinner table floating empty space. Somehow it's like them general plot where all characters unite and combine their powers. We defeated the exam, I said some spell and answers appeared on the exam paper...

Foreshadowing my worries for exam eh ? Lelelel ^_~

Currently watch high school dxd...interesting :s
Anyone seen it ? Pretty explicit lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Coluboccoro got funded! :biggrin: There's still 8 days left to pledge if anyone's interested, however. I'm considering raising my own from the digital download tier to the one that also gives me Santa Company. :beard:
Rewatched first season of Code Geass this week (been in the mood for rewatching favourites since nothing is really exciting me this season). Every bit as entertaining 3rd time round - very pleasantly surprised since I thought the intervening 7 years since I last saw it had been coloured with nostalgia. It is a very silly show in places, but it is pretty much the epitome of my beloved Stupid Sunrise Mecha genre - nothing really has beaten it yet!

Taking a break before diving into the Trainwreck that's R2 - may need alcohol to really appreciate that season.
Thoughts on the anime Ao haru ride?:angelwings:
Original post by Eloades11
Very strange dance, but it was well worth 3 minutes of my day.

The thing about Tokyo Ghoul for me is that the first season was very enjoyable with a thrilling end, I expected a lot more in season 2. I was confused and even the ending I didn't particularly enjoy. I'll probably still watch season 3 when it's out simply to see how Kaneki ends up, as well as Touka.

Also, slightly unrelated but it was on the previous page, I recently finished watching Steins Gate again and it was even better the second time around. It was a brilliant anime, probably one of the most enjoyable ones I've seen. I can't see how people didn't enjoy it.

Lastly, I started watching Durarara! but the start is very slow for me. I'm buffering on episode 3 at the moment, I'm hoping it will pick up when I continue watching after I've finished my assignments :biggrin:

I cant wait for series 3 of tokyo ghoul, i didn't like the ending to season two either and i do hope that kaneki's story gets a happy ending as he is always depressed and tries to help those he cares about.
Hello!

Hope everyone's well, it's been a while, finally got offered a job where I was doing work experience for 3 months :work:

Got pretty bored of anime since the summer and didn't watch any until a few weeks ago, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya was surprisingly good, those fight scenes were pretty intense :eek: I haven't seen the main series so it's going to feel strange watching it after the spin-off :tongue: Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata was a lot of fun :laugh: Kato is :awesome: :cute: and Watamote which I enjoyed a lot, guess I could relate somewhat :tongue: Tomoko :penguinhug:

So yeah slowly getting back to watching anime, got a few seasons of shows to check out :teeth:
Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji was good recently. The ending song is one of my faves!:dance:
Death Parade was so awesome. Seriously my favourite anime of all time... Very good plot development and keeps you hanging on till the end. :blah::bubbles:
Looking for new anime now tho....
Original post by dylanln

Ohh I need to get back to watching that, saw the first 2/3 eps a while back and it felt like a pretty cute light-hearted show.
Reply 8876
Original post by dylanln

I watched Ao haru ride....it was a cute anime haha :') it would be nice if there was a second season following the ova....since they did introduce a new character in the final episodes of the season :')
The anime is pretty good as well but its got waaayy too much drama in it so personally its not something I'd read :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Love Live! The School Idol Movie is getting a worldwide cinema release! :biggrin:

But no UK screenings announced yet. :frown:
Can anyone recommend really sad animes please >.< The saddest ones I've seen are: Clannad, Clannad after story, Grave of the fireflies, Anohana and Angel beats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aahliahatake
Can anyone recommend really sad animes please >.< The saddest ones I've seen are: Clannad, Clannad after story, Grave of the fireflies, Anohana and Angel beats.

I'll try my best!

Now and Then, Here and There

Giovanni's Island

Basilisk

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Kanon (2006)

Hope something there does the trick. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending