The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamY
How's everyone getting on with applying for finance etc? I think mine is done - I'm just slightly disbelieving as SFE said it would take at least six weeks and it took about one and a half?! New sent some financial forms and stuff as well a few days ago so I'd better get to that at some point!

I think my family want to go and look around Oxford at some point over Easter; if we do go it'll be my first time walking around there knowing it isn't just a pipe dream :biggrin:

Awfully. It's starting to dawn on me just how horrifically broke I am going to be.
Original post by Sherry C.
Hi! I'm holding an offer for classics (IIB) too! I have just received the email asking me to attend a summer course, but I'm an international student, and it will be hard to travel there for one (or two) week to take the course...still looking for alternatives at home...

Hi! I'm Classics IB, so I have A-level Latin but not Greek. Is IIB Greek from scratch? Have you tried emailing your future tutors to ask if there is something similar in your home country? Where are you from? Also, there are bursaries available for Bryanston, which might be something you could look at?

Original post by milkman94
is the logic manual by volleyer halbach adequate?

I've read Volker Halbach's Logic Manual, not for PPE prep or anything, just for interest (I read it last summer). There are some online exercises to help you learn, so I imagine it would be suitable... :smile:

Original post by AdamY
How's everyone getting on with applying for finance etc? I think mine is done - I'm just slightly disbelieving as SFE said it would take at least six weeks and it took about one and a half?! New sent some financial forms and stuff as well a few days ago so I'd better get to that at some point!

I think my family want to go and look around Oxford at some point over Easter; if we do go it'll be my first time walking around there knowing it isn't just a pipe dream :biggrin:

I applied for finance the week SFE opened. :colondollar: It took ages for mine to go through though because they wanted all kinds of paperwork to be sent over - they even asked for the wrong document at one point!

I also took my mum for Mothering Sunday, to have a look around, since she has never been. It was really nice to wander knowing that I have an offer now - enjoy your trip! :biggrin:
Original post by AdamY

The real 'disbelief' moment I had with finance was the bloody repayment calculator. Even if I don't take out a maintenance loan it'll be >40k repayments just from the bloody tuition fees. I'm taking the risk and not dealing with finance until after the election.
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug
The real 'disbelief' moment I had with finance was the bloody repayment calculator. Even if I don't take out a maintenance loan it'll be >40k repayments just from the bloody tuition fees. I'm taking the risk and not dealing with finance until after the election.

I'm not too well-informed on student finance - what would be the risk in waiting until after the election?
Original post by uranocene
I'm not too well-informed on student finance - what would be the risk in waiting until after the election?

I think there's the possibility that it may not arrive in time, although I'm not actually sure when the deadline is for this year.
Original post by Amhorangerdgerriug

Seriously?

I just used a finance calculator, setting maintenance at 0 and taking a full tuition loan. In order to pay more than 40k you'd need to start with a salary of 25k, which is probably unlikely for a new graduate in this market.

Furthermore, the election is irrelevant because whoever wins will only be able to change the fees system in time for new students in the 2016-17 academic year, not for ours.

Edit: Plus to be honest, I think you're missing the bigger picture by looking at the total amount of debt, especially when you consider the broadly favourable terms of student finance. The calculator Directgov provides is particularly helpful in this respect as it shows annual repayments, which start fairly low and only really rise if your salary rises.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
'Twould be horrible if Labour win the election and actually lower tuition fees after you enter uni :mmm:

Well they've said that students who started their degree in the old system can pay the lower fees in the later years so if Labour did get in, I'd still be paying £9k less over my 4 years.
Original post by the1akshay

I just used a finance calculator, setting maintenance at 0 and taking a full tuition loan. In order to pay more than 40k you'd need to start with a salary of 25k, which is probably unlikely for a new graduate in this market.

£25k is very easily achievable. A lot of those who go to City law firms will start on £40-45,000, those going in to banking £35-50,000, accountancy £30k+, Engineering anything from £25-45,000 is common.
Original post by the1akshay
Seriously?

Furthermore, the election is irrelevant because whoever wins will only be able to change the fees system in time for new students in the 2016-17 academic year, not for ours.

Edit: Plus to be honest, I think you're missing the bigger picture by looking at the total amount of debt, especially when you consider the broadly favourable terms of student finance. The calculator Directgov provides is particularly helpful in this respect as it shows annual repayments, which start fairly low and only really rise if your salary rises.

Well, according to Unistats the average salary for my course (E&M) 6 months after graduating is £39,000, with the typical salary range being 30-45k, so I don't think that £25,000 is particularly unrealistic.

Also, changes would come into place in time for our second year, meaning I would have to borrow 6 grand less than I would otherwise, which is not an insignificant amount when you take into account the interest that has to be paid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Can't help you on all this finance shedazzle as I didn't have to do it.
Original post by Marakh
Can't help you on all this finance shedazzle as I didn't have to do it.

Boasting about belonging to the pre-tuition-fee era? :frown:
Original post by fluteflute
What do you mean by that?

Hi fluteflute,

I was just wondering whether or not first year students get a reading list for Philosophy, as I got sent a list for French this week - if so, do you remember whenabouts roughly you got yours? Don't worry if you can't remember! :P

Thanks very much,

From danniegee :smile:
Original post by danniegee
Hi fluteflute,

I was just wondering whether or not first year students get a reading list for Philosophy, as I got sent a list for French this week - if so, do you remember whenabouts roughly you got yours? Don't worry if you can't remember! :P

Thanks very much,

From danniegee :smile:
I never got one for Philosophy :smile:

If you are desperate, these two were on the first reading list I got when I arrived as "General introductory reading". That doesn't mean you're expected to read them though!

Simon Blackburn, Think (Oxford UP, 1999)
Earl Conee and Theodore Sider, Riddles of Existence (Oxford UP, 2005)

While I was applying I particularly enjoyed The Philosophy Gym by Stephen Law. Again, only if you're particularly keen. (I suspect you live on the other side of Southampton to me - otherwise I'd lend you my copy of that one!)
Original post by fluteflute
I never got one for Philosophy :smile:

If you are desperate, these two were on the first reading list I got when I arrived as "General introductory reading". That doesn't mean you're expected to read them though!

Simon Blackburn, Think (Oxford UP, 1999)
Earl Conee and Theodore Sider, Riddles of Existence (Oxford UP, 2005)

While I was applying I particularly enjoyed The Philosophy Gym by Stephen Law. Again, only if you're particularly keen. (I suspect you live on the other side of Southampton to me - otherwise I'd lend you my copy of that one!)

That's great, thank-you :smile:

I've actually read most of 'Think' (as preparation for interviews in December) - guess I should finish it off!

I also read Stephen Law's 'The Philosophy Files', which was great fun - lots of cartoons and jokes :biggrin: I felt really guilty in my interview when Seb (I think that's his name?) said "I noticed that you mentioned having read Stephen Law's book in your personal statement", because he made it sound like I'd done something really impressive, although this particular book is Law's fun guide to Philosophy rather than an in-depth text! I reckon I'll enjoy reading his other books, though, so thank-you for recommending 'The Philosophy Gym' :smile:
To all the people thinking that Labour will lower tuition fees, 5 years ago they said they'd abolish them, just to point that out. It's just not going to happen.
Boasting about belonging to the pre-tuition-fee era? :frown:

Not quite, started this year.
Original post by Marakh
Not quite, started this year.

How come you didn't need to deal with finance shedazzle?
How come you didn't need to deal with finance shedazzle?

It's all about the 'rents.
Hi guys! I hope you can help me out. I was wondering if any of you received a Pre-Registration form from any of your colleges? I received one from LMH more than a month ago. Cause I'm an international student in Asia I'm pretty reluctant to send it back by mail in case it gets lost or anything, so I emailed the lady (Senior Tutor) who sent me the form asking if I could scan it and email it back. She didn't reply even though I emailed twice, so I sent an email to their admissions department as well. I've sent three emails over the last two weeks and gotten no replies, I'm so worried there's a deadline I'll miss or something! Does anyone know anything about this? :frown:
Original post by nyx_aerin
Hi guys! I hope you can help me out. I was wondering if any of you received a Pre-Registration form from any of your colleges? I received one from LMH more than a month ago. Cause I'm an international student in Asia I'm pretty reluctant to send it back by mail in case it gets lost or anything, so I emailed the lady (Senior Tutor) who sent me the form asking if I could scan it and email it back. She didn't reply even though I emailed twice, so I sent an email to their admissions department as well. I've sent three emails over the last two weeks and gotten no replies, I'm so worried there's a deadline I'll miss or something! Does anyone know anything about this? :frown:

Is sending the form by registered mail not an option in your country? That way, you could guarantee that the form reaches LMH (eg the Royal Mail offers an International Tracking + Signature on receipt option). In the meantime, you could perhaps scan a soft copy of it to your computer, send it to them via email, and explain that the actual document is coming in the mail?

Unless it specified a deadline though, I think you should be alright. Just drop them a note and send it asap.