The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trypsin
Someone please reassure me of my choice to firm SG..

Have a look at this thread. The user has exactly the same issue as you and people have done their best to reassure them.

At the end of the day, you accepted the offer. You will be studying medicine. You really need to get over it. The only one who can make you proud to study there is you.
Firmed sgul yesterday!
And I'm very happy with and don't regret withdrawing from my other unis even if one is higher in the league table.
At the end of the day we've got into medicine and choosing the uni where we'll be happy and gain the most for the next 5 years is important
Plus all the students seem to love it there
Hey guys so I need one of my work experience references from a summer job be posted to St georges as they wont give it me in person. Does anyone know if admissions let you know when they have revived your reference ?
Original post by chrissy96x
Hey guys so I need one of my work experience references from a summer job be posted to St georges as they wont give it me in person. Does anyone know if admissions let you know when they have revived your reference ?

Send them an email asking them to confirm whether or not they have received your references. I don't think they will tell you that they have received your references unless you ask them.

Or you could call them, but I am not sure if the admissions people have started answering calls.
Original post by Trypsin
UoL degree is worth much more than an MBBCh which UEA gives because unlike the UK, the U.S. Is elitist and puts more emphasis on prestige of uni.

I really don't think the degree is worth much more...
When/how do we apply for accommodation in Horton?
Accom apps open in June i think they said! :smile:
seriously thinking of withdrawing from SGUL and taking a gap year and reapplying, any advice?
Original post by atlsme
Exactly. London > every other place

the problem is, you have zero money as a student in London, so you can't enjoy the place
Original post by hukdealz
seriously thinking of withdrawing from SGUL and taking a gap year and reapplying, any advice?

You've probably already received the advice 'a medicine offer is so good blah blah blah don't let it go that easyily' and I think most importantly you should explore your motive for taking a gap year?

is there something you really want to do in this year out?
do you not feel ready for uni?
you feel like you could do better next application cycle and get more options at better unis? (I have a feeling you mentioned this sometime ago - might have been someone else)

I can't really advise without knowing stats/number of interviews you received etc

Wellll yiur gonna spend the next 5/6 years at St George's so if you really don't like the sound of the uni you should really think about it as its a long time. And you can further strengthen your applicatio. Choice is up to you to decide at the end.
Original post by blissfully
You've probably already received the advice 'a medicine offer is so good blah blah blah don't let it go that easyily' and I think most importantly you should explore your motive for taking a gap year?

is there something you really want to do in this year out?
do you not feel ready for uni?
you feel like you could do better next application cycle and get more options at better unis? (I have a feeling you mentioned this sometime ago - might have been someone else)

I can't really advise without knowing stats/number of interviews you received etc

the reason I'm thinking of withdrawing is because of the uni itself. I've heard a lot of negative things about SGUL on here, and people consider it as the "worst and easiest to get into" medical school (quoting someone else). I also am considering going into surgery and hope to practice abroad, so the university I go to is crucial.

In terms of my stats, 9A*s at GCSE, 680 UKCAT (which I know I can improve to 720+), and predicted AAA. I'd probs spend the year working as a HCA or something similar. I got 2 interviews this year round, but only one offer.
the problem is, you have zero money as a student in London, so you can't enjoy the place

Yeah I was thinking about reapplying too mate, but remembered that at the end of the day you're going to come out of uni and work with people from all sorts of different unis. SGUL although it doesn't have a great rep is known for outputting students who know their stuff due to being trained with clinical skills in mind at such a hospital as St Georges. In terms of the actual student life, sure the uni was dead on open day but when I actually spoke to the students there not a single soul spoke badly of it. Also it is one of those things which I think you feel uneasy about but grow to love once you get settled in.
I'm just going to quote ProspectiveGem in here because they make some excellent points

Original post by ProspectiveGEM
Isn't SGUL the second oldest medical school in the UK? It's been graduating doctors for years and years thus has a list of alumni more impressive than the majority of medical schools if you're into all that.

You seriously need to get a thicker skin about this, you have an offer to study medicine in the United Kingdom - which is something people pay hundreds of thousands to attain as international students.

I kind of understand where you are coming from as a sixth former (I assume you are?), this kind of thing seems super important aged 18 and your peers are all engaged in that university prestige circle jerk but university is a very small fraction of your life and ultimately any institution is just literal bricks and motor filled with normal people.

At the end of the day, surely your goal is to graduate as a medical doctor? SGUL has been graduating people to be doing exactly that since the 1700s I think. Dropping out and reapplying so you feel better because some tosser made a wisecrack is the most pointless waste of time, money and stress I have ever heard.

Could I have your place by the way? :P I missed my medicine offer by 1 mark in chemistry as a sixth former and I'm doing biomed at a so called prestigious university and living in stress about the financial cost and potential closure of GEM courses. If you are a sixth former - in 5 years time you'll be holding a medical degree from the UK which means that you have guaranteed jobs in the UK and is respected globally due to being SGUL (which has graduated people for years) and the simple fact it's a UK degree.

In short don't waste this opportunity!
the reason I'm thinking of withdrawing is because of the uni itself. I've heard a lot of negative things about SGUL on here, and people consider it as the "worst and easiest to get into" medical school (quoting someone else). I also am considering going into surgery and hope to practice abroad, so the university I go to is crucial.

In terms of my stats, 9A*s at GCSE, 680 UKCAT (which I know I can improve to 720+), and predicted AAA. I'd probs spend the year working as a HCA or something similar. I got 2 interviews this year round, but only one offer.

Where do you want to work? I personally want to move abroad to America after uni and after talking face to face with a few American doctors (one of them actually on the board of education) they said unless you're from Oxbridge your uni choice doesn't matter, so in their eyes UCL =SGUL. So your chances at America (if it is that) will be dependent on your USMLE and your interview. But if it isnt America I have no clue.
I have 2 relatives at St.George's, one studying BioMed, one studying Medicine. They both say that they regret going there. The teaching is pretty poor and the atmosphere is very depressing. The area around the uni is **** so they have no place to chill when the going gets rough. In addition, med students from other unis have called them BTECs in reference to the low uni ranking of St.George's. I would definetely advise against going there. Take a year out, get some experience, and apply to a top place. A lot of people here don't understand that even though St.George's provides the same Med degree as other unis, it's teaching is so crap that students often do worse, making the degree less presitgous due to a lower mark.

Never settle, always aim for the top.
*Whoops repost*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ProllyAsTrolly
I have 2 relatives at St.George's, one studying BioMed, one studying Medicine. They both say that they regret going there. The teaching is pretty poor and the atmosphere is very depressing. The area around the uni is **** so they have no place to chill when the going gets rough. In addition, med students from other unis have called them BTECs in reference to the low uni ranking of St.George's. I would definetely advise against going there. Take a year out, get some experience, and apply to a top place. A lot of people here don't understand that even though St.George's provides the same Med degree as other unis, it's teaching is so crap that students often do worse, making the degree less presitgous due to a lower mark.

Just stomping on people's hearts.BOOM.BOOM.:eek:
Original post by ProllyAsTrolly

Forestcat I feel your interjection is necessary here
Original post by atlsme
Just stomping on people's hearts.BOOM.BOOM.:eek:

The guy needs to know what's waiting for him if he decides to firm. I'm just trying to make him aware. He needs to see both sides before making his decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending