The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by Lau14
Not that I can think of? There was one six marker on finding acceleration or something involving capacitors which threw me for a moment but made sense after doing part b anyway!

Oh right! That sounds really odd!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 401
Original post by CD223
Oh right! That sounds really odd!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Might have been on one of the 2011 papers, you should come across it anyway!
Reply 402
Original post by Lau14
Might have been on one of the 2011 papers, you should come across it anyway!

I think I'll attempt that tomorrow. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 403
Original post by Lau14
Not that I can think of? There was one six marker on finding acceleration or something involving capacitors which threw me for a moment but made sense after doing part b anyway!

I've done this one and it reminds me of an ISA style question. Take measurements for initial and final pd and use the exponential formula for V. Then use suvat for the acceleration.
Reply 404
Original post by TheRAG
I've done this one and it reminds me of an ISA style question. Take measurements for initial and final pd and use the exponential formula for V. Then use suvat for the acceleration.

Yeah it did turn out like that very easily, and if you moved onto the second part of the question first you had to actually do some calculations so that helped you figure out what you needed to measure for the six marker! :smile:
Can somebody help me please?

I've done the JUN12 PHYA5 paper and I've come across questions that I am pretty baffled on.

It is Q3(b)(i) and (ii)

I don't understand why they use the area of a sphere in the calculation and why they take the value of r as 0.18 for (i).

JUNE 12 QP

JUNE 12 MS

Thanks in advance :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 406
Original post by Disney0702
Can somebody help me please?

I've done the JUN12 PHYA5 paper and I've come across questions that I am pretty baffled on.

It is Q3(b)(i) and (ii)

I don't understand why they use the area of a sphere in the calculation and why they take the value of r as 0.18 for (i).

JUNE 12 QP

JUNE 12 MS

Thanks in advance :smile:

As the source emits gamma uniformly in all directions, it's effectively an expanding sphere of radiation. So 0.18m away (where the detector is), overall the gamma rays will have spread equally out over an area equal to the surface area of a sphere with radius 0.18m (as the centre of the sphere will be the source), and the ratio will be area of detector/area of sphere because area will be directly proportional to number of gamma photons.
Original post by Lau14
As the source emits gamma uniformly in all directions, it's effectively an expanding sphere of radiation. So 0.18m away (where the detector is), overall the gamma rays will have spread equally out over an area equal to the surface area of a sphere with radius 0.18m (as the centre of the sphere will be the source), and the ratio will be area of detector/area of sphere because area will be directly proportional to number of gamma photons.

Ah thank you so much, I understand it so much better now :smile:

I'm sorry to ask again but I am still quite stuck on Q3(b)(ii) and as for Q3(c) I just wanted to know if count rate is the same as intensity.
Reply 408
Ah thank you so much, I understand it so much better now :smile:

I'm sorry to ask again but I am still quite stuck on Q3(b)(ii) and as for Q3(c) I just wanted to know if count rate is the same as intensity.

For 3bii. the count rate given will be 1/400th of the actual rate recieved by the detector, so you'll need to multiply by 400 to account for that, and divide by the ratio from part i to find out the activity for the whole sphere (so from the source) rather than just the activity detected.

3c. I'm really not sure to be honest sorry!
Original post by Lau14
For 3bii. the count rate given will be 1/400th of the actual rate recieved by the detector, so you'll need to multiply by 400 to account for that, and divide by the ratio from part i to find out the activity for the whole sphere (so from the source) rather than just the activity detected.

3c. I'm really not sure to be honest sorry!

Thank you very much :smile:
do we need to know all the experiments for testing the gas laws? :confused:]
Original post by frankiejayx
do we need to know all the experiments for testing the gas laws? :confused:]

I assume that we should it could come up as a 6 marker
I assume that we should it could come up as a 6 marker

Okay thanks!
Reply 413
Original post by TheRAG

Original post by Lau14
Yeah it did turn out like that very easily, and if you moved onto the second part of the question first you had to actually do some calculations so that helped you figure out what you needed to measure for the six marker! :smile:

Gonna attempt this paper tomorrow. See if I can understand it! (Probably won't despite the hints...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 414
Original post by CD223
Gonna attempt this paper tomorrow. See if I can understand it! (Probably won't despite the hints...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 415
Original post by Lau14
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! College Monday 😥😥

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 416
Original post by CD223
Thank you! College Monday

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've already been back a whole week :/ it doesn't feel like anything's really gotten done either, just another week closer to exams!
Reply 417
Original post by Lau14
I've already been back a whole week :/ it doesn't feel like anything's really gotten done either, just another week closer to exams!

The next two weeks for me is still finishing the syllabus!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 418
Original post by CD223
The next two weeks for me is still finishing the syllabus!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too these 2 weeks off for Easter a
have flown by I still have the magnetism and EMI to learn and honestly I'm not looking forward to it since everybody seems to hate it or dislike it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 419
Original post by Mai.H
Me too these 2 weeks off for Easter a
have flown by I still have the magnetism and EMI to learn and honestly I'm not looking forward to it since everybody seems to hate it or dislike it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try your best to learn it - I'm sure it's not hard for everyone - but that said it's certainly my worst topic!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending