The Student Room Group

Help with AS Level Biology (F212) question

Hi. I am currently doing some revision for the F212 "Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health" unit and have come across a question which I cannot answer.

The question says, 'One type of cell involved in an immune response is a plasma cell, which releases antibodies. Plasma cells contain RNA. Outline the roles of RNA in plasma cells. In your answer you should give an account of the different roles of RNA.'

The question is from the January 2013 paper and is worth 6 marks. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Reply 1
Hey,

Its worded in a nasty way, but it is simply asking about how proteins are synthesized in a cell (in this case, plasma cells)

Antibodies are proteins, are are hence coded for by genes, the gene is unwound and unzipped, and free floating nucleotides will anneal to the template strand forming a complementary strand of mRNA (messenger RNA) that leaves the nucleus via a nuclear pore (as the double stranded section of DNA that forms the gene is too large to leave the nucleus) and moves towards a ribosome (which contains rRNA), translation then occurs, where each codon (triplet of mRNA nucleotides) represents an amino acid that i brought by tRNA molecules. This is protein synthesis.
Reply 2
Original post by Jp1888
Hey,

Its worded in a nasty way, but it is simply asking about how proteins are synthesized in a cell (in this case, plasma cells)

Antibodies are proteins, are are hence coded for by genes, the gene is unwound and unzipped, and free floating nucleotides will anneal to the template strand forming a complementary strand of mRNA (messenger RNA) that leaves the nucleus via a nuclear pore (as the double stranded section of DNA that forms the gene is too large to leave the nucleus) and moves towards a ribosome (which contains rRNA), translation then occurs, where each codon (triplet of mRNA nucleotides) represents an amino acid that i brought by tRNA molecules. This is protein synthesis.

thank you! im not the thread starter but i found this very helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Jp1888
Hey,

Thank you so much, this really helps me! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by josh_97
Thank you so much, this really helps me! :biggrin:

No worries!
Reply 5
Original post by Radk
thank you! im not the thread starter but i found this very helpful :smile:

No worries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending