The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7560
Original post by Rakas21

My point is that people need to worry less about who they can buy this summer (the teams working fine) and more about not losing to poverty teams. Indeed i personally wonder if the top 4 have lost so many because they spend so much each summer, not allowing a team to gel and work instinctually because they know how each other plays like the back of their hand.

I don't think this can be said for Arsenal. Wenger would never do a Spurs, Liverpool or United and spend a lot of money on four/five first team players. He's actually the guy who will probably not have a huge turnover of new players to ensure that his teams gel well.

Last season for example, Ozil's signing lifted the whole team - and this season Sanchez's signing helped similarly. Even though there were obvious positions that needed to be strengthened Wenger just left them, so I don't think its fair to say that Arsenal spend a lot, not allowing their team to gel. Debuchy for Sagna and Ospina for Fabianski was a given, but we don't go all out to get newer players when we don't do well enough (even though it's something thats been criticised).

Our crumbles are always characterised by our injuries. I expect AW to get one marquee signing in the summer, and one or two young players (for cup games and the future).
Original post by Rakas21
The Chelsea game in hand is Leicester.

My point is that the bolded bit is wrong. Last season you could have still lost all the matches you did to Liverpool, Man C and Chelsea (even 6-0) and you'd have been champions had you simply drawn rather than lost to the crappy teams. This season is largely the same, take away both yours and Chelsea's losses to the crap teams and you'd right now be 4 points behind (again assuming they win their game in hand) still to play them.

But that's true of any team? We've got the best record against the bottom half in the league so that clearly isn't the issue.

Against 6-10 teams we've not been good enough, we always lose against Stoke and Swansea, and often lose to Tottenham and the form team (last year Everton this year So'ton).

But last year what cost us the title was losing (wait, I'll change that, being HUMILIATED) to the other top 4. Sure, if we changed all 4 or 5 games where we dropped points to lower league teams to draws or win, then we'd have won the league, but changing just the loss to City to a win like this year and losing to Liverpool to a draw like this year and we finish level on points with City and Liverpool.

Chelsea have taken 12 points from 6 against the rest of the top 5, we have taken 8 from 6. But crucially, they haven't lost a head to head, where as we have so far to United AND Chelsea and will need to beat both to change that. Dropping points against 6-10 is an issue, don't get me wrong, but losing the head to heads with your title rivals and you're ****ed.
we know who we are, we know who we arreee, champions of nothing, we know who we are COYG!
Original post by leinad2012
I'm sorry but that is such bs logic. No-one knew Lacazette before this season, he's the French Harry Kane in terms of suddenly playing outstanding football.

"Too obvious" is the same logic as when people say Arsenal will lose to Reading today because Arsenal have won all previous 12 games against Reading that they've played and Reading are "due a win"

He had been doing it consistently for at least half a season before from what I am led to believe (may be slightly inaccurate). I had seen him touted on the Liverpool thread I think by SUG as an alternative to Balotelli at 15-20m. It makes it even more infuriating to see how that went :biggrin:

My point is that I don't believe Wenger will be in for him now as he'll cost £35m or so, and isn't proven out of Ligue 1. I don't think it works with Wenger's economics personally when you see the proven top tier talent Wenger has spent 30m on before a la Sanchez and Ozil, who had both played for the biggest two teams in the world.

Same with Schneiderlein in a way. Would be surprised to see Wenger move for him after having the chance to do it for the previous two years. His price has rocketed now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gob Bluth
He had been doing it consistently for at least half a season before from what I am led to believe (may be slightly inaccurate). I had seen him touted on the Liverpool thread I think by SUG as an alternative to Balotelli at 15-20m. It makes it even more infuriating to see how that went :biggrin:

My point is that I don't believe Wenger will be in for him now as he'll cost £35m or so, and isn't proven out of Ligue 1. I don't think it works with Wenger's economics personally when you see the proven top tier talent Wenger has spent 30m on before a la Sanchez and Ozil, who had both played for the biggest two teams in the world.

Same with Schneiderlein in a way. Would be surprised to see Wenger move for him after having the chance to do it for the previous two years. His price has rocketed now.

He did ok last season, 15 goals in 36 league games but only 22 from 54 over, compared to 29 from 35 this year. That's not exactly stunning stats last season so I doubt many teams were in for him at all. Reports were a lot of teams looked at him but none made any serious approaches. Also, where is this £35mil price coming from?? Guessing you've made it up considering all the rumoured prices are less than £20mil. That being said he doesn't seem desperate for a move, so it may not happen this season anyway.

Again, why would Wenger not sign a player purely off the basis that he didn't 2 years ago? If they weren't good enough 2 years ago but are now why would Wenger NOT try to sign them? It just doesn't really make any sense

Will he?

Giroud was top scorer in Ligue 1 but had done nothing elsewhere and we got him for £9.6m.

Hazard was coveted by everyone in Europe but went for £30m because of the Ligue 1 tag.

French footballers are underpriced really, which is why Newcastle Utd built their squad out of that division for about £320k. Only transfer I can think off that was on the rich side was Liverpool/Sakko for £20m but LFC seem to be the only club in word football that haggle up...

---
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mnc61
we know who we are, we know who we arreee, champions of nothing, we know who we are COYG!

:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
We don't need another striker. I don't understand the hype around Lacazette to come here. Our attacking record is only 3 goals off chelsea. We have more than enough striking options
He did ok last season, 15 goals in 36 league games but only 22 from 54 over, compared to 29 from 35 this year. That's not exactly stunning stats last season so I doubt many teams were in for him at all. Reports were a lot of teams looked at him but none made any serious approaches. Also, where is this £35mil price coming from?? Guessing you've made it up considering all the rumoured prices are less than £20mil. That being said he doesn't seem desperate for a move, so it may not happen this season anyway.

Again, why would Wenger not sign a player purely off the basis that he didn't 2 years ago? If they weren't good enough 2 years ago but are now why would Wenger NOT try to sign them? It just doesn't really make any sense

Original post by Zürich
Will he?

Giroud was top scorer in Ligue 1 but had done nothing elsewhere and we got him for £9.6m.

Hazard was coveted by everyone in Europe but went for £30m because of the Ligue 1 tag.

French footballers are underpriced really, which is why Newcastle Utd built their squad out of that division for about £320k. Only transfer I can think off that was on the rich side was Liverpool/Sakko for £20m but LFC seem to be the only club in word football that haggle up...

---

We'll see I guess, but Lyon are a consistent side for CL, and may win the league this season. No money issues at club, undoubted potential in the player. Player is happy at club. 30-35 is realistic to me on that alone as he's worth that much to the club.

I thought that was the touted value too if I'm honest, haven't really looked into any rumours about it as the majority are destined to be made up. If Wenger can get him for 20m or less, it may be possible, but there are enough options up there for me to believe it's an unlikely deal.

Plus Wenger loves Giroud too much to drop him surely, and Laca won't want to be on the bench. So basically it's a move that appears pretty unlikely realistically.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko
We don't need another striker. I don't understand the hype around Lacazette to come here. Our attacking record is only 3 goals off chelsea. We have more than enough striking options

Disagree. Giroud won't maintain this form for the rest of next season and Welbeck upfront just doesn't work because he can't hold the ball up/play off other players like Giroud can which is what our play is massively based around plus he can't finish. Don't think we need anyone WC but a different and reliable option for when Giroud is off form or needs to be rotated would be perfect.
We'll see I guess, but Lyon are a consistent side for CL, and may win the league this season. No money issues at club, undoubted potential in the player. Player is happy at club. 30-35 is realistic to me on that alone as he's worth that much to the club.

I thought that was the touted value too if I'm honest, haven't really looked into any rumours about it as the majority are destined to be made up. If Wenger can get him for 20m or less, it may be possible, but there are enough options up there for me to believe it's an unlikely deal.

Plus Wenger loves Giroud too much to drop him surely, and Laca won't want to be on the bench. So basically it's a move that appears pretty unlikely realistically.

Well, I've gathered so far that you're a Liverpool fan, so I guess you're used to your side inflating every players price by £10-15mil...
Well, I've gathered so far that you're a Liverpool fan, so I guess you're used to your side inflating every players price by £10-15mil...

He won't go for a penny over £25m, and Gob Bluth makes a good point, Wenger doesn't pay that for players like him (I.e not completely fool proof), and same applies to Dybala. So you'll stick with Giroud and Welbeck for another season.
Don't need a new striker?! Giroud has been excellent this year, but we have no decent 2nd option. Welbeck? Poldi? Sanogo? All **** tbh. And Giroud is 28, he has 3 more years tops at his best, so it makes complete sense to invest in a young up and coming striker who already has a good goals to game ratio.
Original post by Depleted
He won't go for a penny over £25m, and Gob Bluth makes a good point, Wenger doesn't pay that for players like him (I.e not completely fool proof), and same applies to Dybala. So you'll stick with Giroud and Welbeck for another season.

Won't go for a penny OVER £25mil? He'll go for £20mil tops if at all.
Don't need a new striker?! Giroud has been excellent this year, but we have no decent 2nd option. Welbeck? Poldi? Sanogo? All **** tbh. And Giroud is 28, he has 3 more years tops at his best, so it makes complete sense to invest in a young up and coming striker who already has a good goals to game ratio.

Giroud is one of those strikers who'll still be banging them in at 33 imo.
Surely Wenger will go for Lacazette, he's good and FRENCH!
Reply 7576
Original post by Zürich

Exactly. Giroud is the type of striker who doesn't rely on pace - he practically has none even in his prime. The biggest thing you tend to lose with age is pace, so yeah, I can see him banging them in for a few years.

Still think we should get Dybala though, seems like he has a lot of potential too.
Original post by Zürich

Can't see it happening, and even if he did we need 2 top strikers really considering our injury problems
Got to get the balance correct in team selection today, really want to beat Chelscum next week even though it means nothing for the title probably so today would rest Koscielny, Ramsey and Santi. Tempted to also rest Giroud but he's red hot at the moment so dont want to disrupt it too much.

Sanchez Giroud Walcott
Ozil Collumbo Rosicky
Monreal Gabriel Mertesacker Bellerin
Szczesny

Prediction:5-0
Can't see it happening, and even if he did we need 2 top strikers really considering our injury problems

Target men and those who dont rely on pace have longevity, been shown time and time again. Consider Drogba, Ibrahimovic, Shearer for instance.

Latest