The Student Room Group

Both my parents haven't worked since the 1980s and I've got a Cambridge offer AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Idon't really read much poetry.

You should - good sign of intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aasvogel
You should - good sign of intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not, that's a complete lie. Reading poetry is a sign that you like reading poetry.
Original post by Gaiaphage
No it's not, that's a complete lie. Reading poetry is a sign that you like reading poetry.

Interesting - I was expecting dalek to bite. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AMA

Were you motivated to succeed so you didn't end up like your parents ?

Are your parents mentally ill ?

Did they support you during school ?

Were you parents depressed ?
Original post by democracyforum
Were you motivated to succeed so you didn't end up like your parents ?

Are your parents mentally ill ?

Did they support you during school ?

Were you parents depressed ?

I was motivated to succeed mainly to be better than other people, I was sort of inspired by the Daleks/Sports from a young age I wanted to be superior and win like professional sports stars-I see academia as a sporting contest it is very similar when you think about you can lose out by small margins, you can get hard questions right(similar to hard shots) and there is brilliance displayed.

My parents are mentally ill although my Dad seems fine, they both get medication.My mam is really depressed a lot of the time.
Original post by Elcor
Sorry if this sounds malicious but I think it's pretty clear you've inherited mental health issues from your parents. Well done on succeeding so much in academia despite that, though.

Not sure whether to believe photographic or written evidence?! :hmmmm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Do you think it likely that you will develop a mental illness given you're family history?
AMA

Give me your rep gems? I like red.
I think that I went a bit too far with Symbolic Maths but I have learnt new Maths and seen new patterns as a result of that and the Symbolic Maths has encouraged me to discover lots of new not too ridiculous types of new Maths like tangents to points not on the curve, the rate at which a curve is multiplying by(this has actually been done by real Mathematicians so I know I am on the right lines) and I have developed this much further, I have looked at differentiating functions only valid for integers and thus developed approximations for the derivatives of functions valid for all real values(my x! derivative of x!is very accurate for high values of (x!ln((x+1)(x)))/2 that derivative is the derivative of x! with domain in all integers but is a good approximation for x! valid for all real values etc.

Uh, differentiating integer functions?

Also, have you done any UKMT challenges and olympiads?
Original post by Renzhi10122
Uh, differentiating integer functions?

Also, have you done any UKMT challenges and olympiads?

Yes differentiation is typically done based around the function being valid for all real values of x the function may sometimes be valid for ranges or not for some odd values of x but the function is valid over a continuous interval, where as I have been investigating derivatives of functions only valid for every integer lets say there are two methods whether the function is a linear based function(use typical differentiation formula but consider both sides of interval) or not(consider geometric differentiation another topic I have been investigating which is something real mathematicians have done but I'm exploring it further) and as you decrease the interval width so that the derivative approaches the derivative for all real numbers eg every 0.1, every 0.001 etc and thus this derivative can also be used as an approximation for the derivative of a function whose values are known only for every integer for all real values of x.
AMA

Can I adopt you?
Yes it is me.

:mad:
Today I have eaten smilies,toast,beans and a packet of digestive biscuits.Yesterday, I ate the same plus I had sausages,yorkshire puddings,small potatoes and beans.

Where's your 5 a-day
Read this thread and wanted to say well done on even an offer to cambridge. But remeber always stay humble, despite the pain you must have gone through to get your offer. At the end of the day what is success? If sucess for you is achieving good grades then that's fine but I'd argue it's quite a narrow way of thinking. In the wise words of myself if you've reached your life goals before dying they were never good enough to begin with.
Original post by ringspun
Where's your 5 a-day

I don't get 5 a day I don't think I have ever got 5 a day fruit and vegetables don't taste very good.
The Krispie queen: Woman who lives on four bowls of cereal a day hasn't had veg for 18 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3044349/The-Krispie-queen-Woman-lives-four-bowls-cereal-day-hasn-t-veg-18-years.html
How much for a kiss?
Reply 317
What happened to SY1 and SY2? :colone:
I was motivated to succeed mainly to be better than other people, I was sort of inspired by the Daleks/Sports from a young age I wanted to be superior and win like professional sports stars-I see academia as a sporting contest it is very similar when you think about you can lose out by small margins, you can get hard questions right(similar to hard shots) and there is brilliance displayed.

Is this attitude, for the most part, due to your lack of success with the opposite sex?
Any chance of a kiss?

Quick Reply

Latest