The Student Room Group

Applied science year 13

fixed
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonnnne
Identify the main differences between anaerobic and aerobic glucose degradation. (P6)
Produce a report to describe the differences between aerobic and anaerobic respiration and could produce a diagrammatic representation of the differences in ATP production at various sites.

Include reference to:

Definitions: metabolism, aerobic, anaerobic; catabolism; anabolism

Pathways: anaerobic and aerobic pathways of glucose metabolism; the electron transport chain and oxidative phosphorylation; cellular role of ATP; regulation of glycolysis.

Pasteur effect: outline of fatty acid metabolism.

Applications: metabolic end products of industrial importance, eg alcoholic beverages, RQ measurements.

Compare the sites of ATP production and consumption during aerobic and anaerobic breakdown of glucose in cells. (M4)
Include in your report:

Detailed description of sites of energy production (ATP, NADH, FADH2) in glycolysis and the TCA cycle.

The role of electron transport in recycling NADH and other reduced co-enzymes with the production of ATP.

Evaluate the regulation of glycolysis in terms of energy requirements in cells. (D4)
Include in your report:

Identification of the sites of regulation of glycolysis in response to changing concentrations of for example ATP, ADP, hydrogen ions and citrate.

Evaluation of the importance of each in terms of energy requirements in cells.

The effect of the build-up of lactic acid (and its removal) during anaerobic glycolysis in muscle cells should be included.

Can someone please help me, , break it down on what to do or give me answers or smth

Haven't done the course.. But briefly:

Aerobic respiration is reliant on oxygen.. It can only occur whenever there is oxygen. Whereas anaerobic respiration doesn't require or need the presence of oxygen for energy. ATP is what is produced whenever you get glucose molecules. That gives you one point.

You'd be better of asking for the parts that you don't understand? Have you had any lessons on glucose molecules, ATP, carbon dioxide, terminal electron acceptors, pyruvic acid, lactic acid?
Reply 2
ty
(edited 8 years ago)
i dont understand all of it and i dont know how to lay it all out,
if u can help thats great, i appreciate ur reply though, thnx

When I done my BTEC i always structured it according to what the key words were and I'd always make it relevant to what the criterion asked for..

In this case I'd have 2 master headings - Aerobic and Anaerobic with subheadings(Level 2) comparing the definitions, pathways, pasteur effect, and applications, then subheadings(Level 3) mentioning the keywords from each of the level 2 headings.

As you probably know that respiration for aerobic isn't just a simple process as highlighted in GCSE, it is more complex: glycolysis, reaction(link), krebs cycle, oxidative Phosphorylation, and the electron transport chain.

Whereas the anaerobic respiration is in the absence of oxygen, so: pyruvate isn't included in the link reaction, and the krebs cycle isn't either, thus less energy is released, builds up lactic acids, and oxygen debt oxidizes the lactic acid into pyruvate. Might be worth doing a respiration diagram from this.. For anaerobic it would probably be glucose > pyruvate > lactate.

Energy should be the first thing you compare alongside oxygen probably.. Like for aerobic as mentioned releases more energy, I think it's roughly 38 ATP molecules per metabolized glucose, whereas anaerobic is probably 2, since it uses glycolysis that separates each glucose into two pyruvic molecule.

Just a random pointer, it is anaerobic that produces alcohol. Some of what I've mentioned briefly covers the merit criteria probably.

I'd refer to the textbook since I haven't really looked much into ATP/ADP and whatever else.

Also worth asking the teacher, if he/she complains, give them a lecture about how it's their job to teach, and whilst they're on working hours, they should indeed be teaching, not complaining about their jobload.

EDIT: It's probably best using the summary/conclusion for the basis of comparison.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
ty
I've done the course and if you have the Medical Science book it is literally near enough all in there
Reply 6
anymore info?
Can't think of anything else aside from pasteur.. But even then.. I'd personally consider pasteur effect to do with energy production - the pyruvates are turned into ethanol and carbon dioxide.. It's literally all else I can think of.

What I mentioned in my last post should cover the vast majority of P6
Reply 8
write a paragraph and send to my inbox so i can use it/change words plz?
write a paragraph and send to my inbox so i can use it/change words plz?

Ohh.. I keep forgetting you don't quote.. I'll write up the paragraph tomorrow afternoon since I'm heading off now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending