The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frozo123
what's the enthalpy of hydration? smh

its the enthalpy change when 1 mole of gaseous ions dissolve in water to give a dilute solution. hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by nats927
its the enthalpy change when 1 mole of gaseous ions dissolve in water to give a dilute solution. hope this helps! :smile:

I was testing someone sorry aha
Original post by frozo123
I was testing someone sorry aha

oh aha
Did anyone get FULL MARKS (or close) in the thermal decomposition ISA?
Everyone's doing AQA or OCR :/
Is there anyone doing Edexcel?
If yes, could anyone give me a link for unit 3B notes in pdf format. TIA :biggrin:
Original post by Basma Rahman
Everyone's doing AQA or OCR :/
Is there anyone doing Edexcel?
If yes, could anyone give me a link for unit 3B notes in pdf format. TIA :biggrin:

You can revise unit3B from George Fracer book
Original post by Roflwaffles
You can revise unit3B from George Fracer book

I was thinking to study in my phone so I can carry it anywhere, that's why I was asking for a pdf file Thanks though!
I was thinking to study in my phone so I can carry it anywhere, that's why I was asking for a pdf file Thanks though!

I have done edexcel As chemistry so if u have any questions you can message me :smile:
Okay thank you :smile:
Well first, can you please tell me why do we 'heat under reflux'? :colondollar:

For what reaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's either because you need to fully oxidise or the reaction is slow or the reactants/products are volatile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
For what reaction?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In converting am alcohol to a bromoalkane by reacting it with potassium bromide and 50% sulfuric acid to be precise. But a general answer is okay too :smile:
In converting am alcohol to a bromoalkane by reacting it with potassium bromide and 50% sulfuric acid to be precise. But a general answer is okay too :smile:

I think in that reaction you have to create the hbr in situe by reacting the h2so4 with KBr which then reacts with the alcohol to form the bromalkane

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think in that reaction you have to create the hbr in situe by reacting the h2so4 with KBr which then reacts with the alcohol to form the bromalkane

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Thanks!

Probably ought to check that is right I'm doing edexcel too bit I'm only half way through unit 2 revision. Feel free to ask any other questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
It's either because you need to fully oxidise or the reaction is slow or the reactants/products are volatile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got it ! So it's to speed up the reaction without boiling it off :biggrin: Thanks!
Probably ought to check that is right I'm doing edexcel too bit I'm only half way through unit 2 revision. Feel free to ask any other questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Giving exams this May?
Giving exams this May?

Yes I'm taking as this may

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true but it doesn't explain why reflux is needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
That is true but it doesn't explain why reflux is needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As said earlier, because the reaction itself Is slow and volatile, so we need to speed it up without boiling it off.

Quick Reply

Latest