The Student Room Group

How much more difficult is the IMO than National Math Olympiads?

Specifically, what is the gap in difficulty between the BMO1, BMO2 and the IMO (for those of you who have competed in the British Math Olympiads) and how long does it take to make the jump to the next stage. Also, how do other competitions like Putnam and the USAMO compare, as-well as papers like STEP.

Thanks in advance for any contributions.
Original post by MadChickenMan
Specifically, what is the gap in difficulty between the BMO1, BMO2 and the IMO (for those of you who have competed in the British Math Olympiads) and how long does it take to make the jump to the next stage. Also, how do other competitions like Putnam and the USAMO compare, as-well as papers like STEP.

For me the gap was ALOT especially questions 3,4 in BMO2. I can only recall myself getting a Q3 right once in my whole life lol. I got 40/60 in BMO1 then 6/40or 5/40 in round 2. This stuff cant be compared to step IMHO. Two completely different types of maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both are fairy simple in my opinion.
Well we're not all geniuses like you, but to either of you, how long do you think it takes to get to the level of say the BMO2. I've only recently discovered competition maths, but I've become fairly competent at the BMO1, the BMO2 questions are beyond me though. Also, although different, would you say the BMO1 is harder than STEP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well we're not all geniuses like you, but to either of you, how long do you think it takes to get to the level of say the BMO2. I've only recently discovered competition maths, but I've become fairly competent at the BMO1, the BMO2 questions are beyond me though. Also, although different, would you say the BMO1 is harder than STEP.

Na I wouldnt say bmo1 is harder then STEP. I would say BMO2 is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me, I got 47/60 in BMO1, and then I put in a MASSIVE amount of work for BMO2 (I only really began to work at competition maths after BMO1). At first, I couldn't do any, and then I solved my first question after looking at about 10. When the competition came around, I managed to get 26 :smile: So not that long if you have the dedication, but it's a lot of work. The IMO selection tests are then another step up, and I think that this step up is greater than from BMO1 to BMO2. You need to think more 'outside the box' at this level. As for IMO, I can't say myself. As I said, I only began to really work at competition maths this year.
Original post by Renzhi10122
For me, I got 47/60 in BMO1, and then I put in a MASSIVE amount of work for BMO2 (I only really began to work at competition maths after BMO1). At first, I couldn't do any, and then I solved my first question after looking at about 10. When the competition came around, I managed to get 26 :smile: So not that long if you have the dedication, but it's a lot of work. The IMO selection tests are then another step up, and I think that this step up is greater than from BMO1 to BMO2. You need to think more 'outside the box' at this level. As for IMO, I can't say myself. As I said, I only began to really work at competition maths this year.

Well donenon those scores. They are excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Well donenon those scores. They are excellent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, you too
Original post by Renzhi10122
Thank you, you too

What year did you sit them? I sat them in the 2013/2014 round. Did'n't sit them this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
What year did you sit them? I sat them in the 2013/2014 round. Did'n't sit them this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This year, I didn't do them last year when I was in year 11 :tongue:
Wow, I feel privileged that someone who achieved the 10th highest score in the BMO2 would comment on my thread, you surely have a good chance of getting through to the IMO next year then.

After a few months practice I've become pretty good at the BMO1, I can usually do questions 1-4, and sometimes 5 and 6. I've not really started practising for the BMO2 yet, but there is a good 9 months or so until then. Do you think I stand a chance of getting there, and how many hours a day did you practise?
Wow, I feel privileged that someone who achieved the 10th highest score in the BMO2 would comment on my thread, you surely have a good chance of getting through to the IMO next year then.

After a few months practice I've become pretty good at the BMO1, I can usually do questions 1-4, and sometimes 5 and 6. I've not really started practising for the BMO2 yet, but there is a good 9 months or so until then. Do you think I stand a chance of getting there, and how many hours a day did you practise?

Haha, thanks. Let's see, I'm not sure how long I spent each day, but I did about 2 questions from every single BMO2 paper (up till it turned into FIST) and sometimes 3 :tongue: . However, I have a friend who helped me during those 2 months, and he gave me small hints etc when I was stuck, and I think that was what really helped me improve.

When I was preparing for BMO1, I couldn't do any of the questions 5 and 6, and a miracle happened in the actual exam. So in that respect, I think you have a very good chance, as long as you put in the effort since you have much more time than me to prepare, and you're starting off at a better position compared to me :smile: . Btw, when you're preparing for BMO2, leave the 2015 and 2014 papers for 'mocks' as such. If you're aiming for IMO selection, then try answer 3 questions from each paper, but start off by going backwards through the years doing questions 1 and 2, and then go back and do question 3, and maybe question 4 if you can since the first questions are easier.

Quick Reply