The Student Room Group

Buy a second hand car which I love OR new car which is okay?

I've got a dilemma,

It's time to upgrade my car and I'm torn between buying

A brand new car which is okay such as a Ford Fiesta or a Peugeot 208

OR

A second hand car such as an Audi A1 or Mini Cooper which I really love.

What should I get????
get the car you love, new cars depreciate really quickly anyway
Reply 2
Can you afford the increased running costs of an Audi or a Mini over a Fiesta? IMO I'd get a slightly used Fiesta or Polo and save the cash.
Reply 3
Always buy used. Depreciation is for mugs.
Original post by JC.

This, especially when it comes to lower tier cars.
Reply 5
Original post by drewBusby
This, especially when it comes to lower tier cars.

What? Econo-Hatchbacks? Still a mug even used.
Reply 6
better to get the car you love but think about how long you're going to have the car for when choosing new and secondhand cars

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jahe
I've got a dilemma,

It's time to upgrade my car and I'm torn between buying

A brand new car which is okay such as a Ford Fiesta or a Peugeot 208

OR

A second hand car such as an Audi A1 or Mini Cooper which I really love.

What should I get????

How do you know that you love it? Have you driven them yet and made comparisons between them?
Reply 8
Original post by JC.

When you have lots of money and can buy a brand new car top of the range then its OK because you gotta enjoy that money. But yes I would get a second hand ford. I know from experience minis, once they go wrong it can be very expensive.
Original post by War-Mac
When you have lots of money and can buy a brand new car top of the range then its OK because you gotta enjoy that money. But yes I would get a second hand ford. I know from experience minis, once they go wrong it can be very expensive.

Why bother with a new top of the range car? You could buy a year old one with sod all miles on it for half the money...
Original post by shaymarriott
You could buy a year old one with sod all miles on it for half the money...

Huge exaggeration.
Reply 11
Why bother with a new top of the range car? You could buy a year old one with sod all miles on it for half the money...

Coz u get that latest edition and that number plate (unless it is private number plate)
Reply 12
Original post by War-Mac
Coz u get that latest edition and that number plate (unless it is private number plate)

And in 6 months time its no longer the latest numberplate and has lost you thousands from depreciation already.

OP, get the car you want, not something you don't want just because it is new.
Reply 13
Original post by dhr90
And in 6 months time its no longer the latest numberplate and has lost you thousands from depreciation already.

OP, get the car you want, not something you don't want just because it is new.

Oh well, i don't really think people care about depreciation at times.I suppose it depends on what you want and how often you replace your car. Some people want to get the best price for their car when they sell it in relation to how much they bought it for/the time period owned and millage done. Others just don't care about the depreciation because if everyone did then no one would be driving a new car.

Not everyone is into saddle brown seats, piano black trim and purple paintwork :smile:
Take the time to find a good used one. You get so much more for your money and someone else has take the depreciation. Also Ford's are for mugs, horrid cars

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending