The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shropshirelass51
I guess there's so real hurry, just want to make sure it is actually going to happen! Are you planning on traveling by train?

Haha yes I know what you mean! Yeh I live North Shropshire but I'm going to drive and get the train from wellington to five ways and walk (unless there's a better route), I did consider driving but the parking might be an issue! What you planning on doing?
Original post by fayeowen90
Haha yes I know what you mean! Yeh I live North Shropshire but I'm going to drive and get the train from wellington to five ways and walk (unless there's a better route), I did consider driving but the parking might be an issue! What you planning on doing?

I live in Shifnal, so we will be on the same train! I thought I might get the bus from New Street as it seems the quickest option. I went on the train to New Street for my interview, then another train to Fiveways, then walked, but it seemed to take an age. It's going to take about 1.5 hours door to door. I guess it's going to be an even longer commute for you. I think driving would be stressful and as you say parking would be a problem, but it would be much quicker.
Perhaps we can use the commuting time to do some work!
So weird all of the interviewers at DMU remembered me, not entirely sure it's a good thing! As kid the ucas admissions person; I think that's mainly cause I was having a mental breakdown at her.

she did tell me that there are still quite a few applications of hold so if you're one of them then don't worry as you're not alone.
Hi all. So...anyone thinking of doing the part time route at BCU. If so, what information have you gathered so far and at what point do you have to let the uni know your plan to do part time. I'll be making these enquiries myself obviously but just throwing this out there to see if any one else is on the same page?! I'm not sure myself yet about which route to take.....
Original post by djavor
I was looking at general private halls such as manchester student village south and Q3 Apartments but i'm not sure! I will be 23 and feel like i'm going to be so much older than everyone else so i'm considering getting a place for myself but everywhere in the city centre is so expensive! That sounds great do you remember what it was called?

23 is nothing. We had someone on our course who was 44. Lots of other students are in their late 20s (myself included) and a few in their 30s. If university accommodation is cheaper apply for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone applying for BCU halls? I'm from Northern Ireland, I'm 22 and will be 23 in december & i'm confused as to whether I should go into halls or try renting a room in a house. I know halls would be better for meeting new people but I don't really want to feel much older than everyone else in halls lol. Can you request to be put in with people around my own age? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I would really appreciate your help.
Original post by grace22
Anyone applying for BCU halls? I'm from Northern Ireland, I'm 22 and will be 23 in december & i'm confused as to whether I should go into halls or try renting a room in a house. I know halls would be better for meeting new people but I don't really want to feel much older than everyone else in halls lol. Can you request to be put in with people around my own age? Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I would really appreciate your help.

You could always see if they have postgrad halls and request to be put in them? Maybe worth asking accommodation services :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Grace, I was chatting to you before ☺️I feel exactly the same as you..I'm from the Republic of Ireland and il be 22 in October! Iv had a look at both the halls and the private accomodation..the private accomodation would be much nicer & ya can get it for a lot cheaper so I'd definitely be getting private accomodation in 2nd & 3rd year! But I was thinking for meeting people I'd have to do private in first year 😲What halls are you thinking if you were to go into halls? For proximity it's between city south and clv Birmingham. City South is the closest to seacole but it's really not great, there's no living room area or anything 😔where as clv is a lot nicer has a living area, TV, ya have your own en suite, then there's extra perks lyk a free gym, music room and common room but the downside is it's a 27min walk/5 minute bus journey and nearly a £1000 dearer than city south! Ahh I don't know what to do either!
Hi Nicola :smile: oh thank god that someone else is in the same boat as me!! phew lol! Well i havent applied anywhere yet because im so confused but yes I think halls would be great for meeting new people! And yes the city south halls don't look very nice :frown: can I add you on facebook to chat?
I know I feel so relieved haha ☺️No I havnt either, I probably won't apply til June after decisions are made! Yea sure, my name is Nicola Igoe shouldn't be too hard to find me there isn't too many nicola igoes haha! My profile pic is just a full length one of me on my own wearing a red halter neck dress😂
Thats great, i've just added you its grace maguire :smile: Yeh i might wait for another while too & try suss things out a bit more!
Reply 3331
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Ahh yeah I know the area, how crazy! I'm currently doing the one year access to health professions course as I didn't a levels before... what about you? (ANNOYINGLY when I did do a levels for 3 DAYS [lol] I chose to do english, drama, psychology and biology... so woulda been perfect choices!) BUT OH WELL. Would you be planning to take a car to Marjon? I'm tryna figure out how plausible it'd be for me!

Ah okay! Sounds like this has always been the perfect career for you! I study English Language, Dance and Business Studies (did do french at AS but dropped it because it was so hard and I only got a C.. lol) when I started college my plans were to get my dance teachers qualification and move abroad and teach but when I came across SLT and did work experience I completely changed my mind! I don't think I will take a car, definitely not in my first year, hopefully if I find a good bunch of people to rent a house with for year 2 and 3 then I may bring it down, not entirely sure :/
Original post by LT1508
Ah okay! Sounds like this has always been the perfect career for you! I study English Language, Dance and Business Studies (did do french at AS but dropped it because it was so hard and I only got a C.. lol) when I started college my plans were to get my dance teachers qualification and move abroad and teach but when I came across SLT and did work experience I completely changed my mind! I don't think I will take a car, definitely not in my first year, hopefully if I find a good bunch of people to rent a house with for year 2 and 3 then I may bring it down, not entirely sure :/

AH cool! I did musical theatre before deciding to do this... so kinda from the same background! Yeah fair enough! Just want it to be September already.
Reply 3333
Original post by izzydizzyyy
AH cool! I did musical theatre before deciding to do this... so kinda from the same background! Yeah fair enough! Just want it to be September already.

Me too!! I just want my exams to be over as well! I'm spending hours and hours revising at my desk so fingers crossed it all pays off!!
Anyone interested in looking for shared house accommodation cheaper than halls.
Me and my room-mate are both girls 20 and study adult nursing at BCU we will be going into our second year in sept 2015 and are looking for 2-3 other people to share a house with.
Email me if your interested in looking with us [email protected]
Just swinging by to say hi if anyone's still around! Hope everyone's well*
Original post by JaaySLT
Just swinging by to say hi if anyone's still around! Hope everyone's well*

Hi,

Did you decide on the part-time option?

Have you done your bursary form? The evidence thay want is a bit daunting and s going to slow down my application, but I guess as long as it's in before August then there's no problem.

Wonder when we will hear anything from BCU?

Hope all is well!
Hey guys, is anyone else finding applying for Student Finance and NHS super super confusing and stressful :confused:
I'm not sure how to find out how many weeks my course is at Newcastle? Any hints?
Original post by Ellice97
Hey guys, is anyone else finding applying for Student Finance and NHS super super confusing and stressful :confused:
I'm not sure how to find out how many weeks my course is at Newcastle? Any hints?

When I did mine last year you don't need this information (other than for the estimate to see approx. how much you will get).

When you apply and pick your uni and the course it automatically knew the correct number of weeks.
Original post by Ellice97

Don't worry I'm currently reapplying for student finance and NHS bursary for my second year and I'm still finding it stressful!! I don't remember any of the applications asking me for how many weeks my course was unless they've changed it you should be okay!

Quick Reply

Latest