The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeaAndTextbooks
I do edexcel too what was required for your practicals? We have to do 3 practicals followed by questions.

Oh there are so many then lol
I didn't have distillation. I had one salt preparation, one enthalpy change and two ion tests (better mark used)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Oh there are so many then lol
I didn't have distillation. I had one salt preparation, one enthalpy change and two ion tests (better mark used)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Organic observation was easier imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Organic observation was easier imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

We hadn't done any organic chapter when we did the practicals so we had no choice.
Is it like functional group test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
We hadn't done any organic chapter when we did the practicals so we had no choice.
Is it like functional group test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep you just had to learn the organic tests in the user guide

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep you just had to learn the organic tests in the user guide

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I guess at least I didn't have to smell the horrible organic chemicals :lol: I got full mark for inorganic observation so meh.
I don't know what I could do instead of the salt prep where I lost a mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
We are doing titrations, ion tests and distillation and I actually prefer titrations most out of all three but I guess we are pretty unlucky since we got the worst selection of practicals oh well I guess it's only 20%ish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Well I guess at least I didn't have to smell the horrible organic chemicals :lol: I got full mark for inorganic observation so meh.
I don't know what I could do instead of the salt prep where I lost a mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to do a preparation either of a salt or some organic substance I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to do a preparation either of a salt or some organic substance I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably salt is easier then
I can't think of preparing anything other than the reflux sort of stuff which is horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Probably salt is easier then
I can't think of preparing anything other than the reflux sort of stuff which is horrible

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I reckon salt would probably be easier. Unfortunately for you the ums is so ridiculous that 39/40 is only 56/60

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I reckon salt would probably be easier. Unfortunately for you the ums is so ridiculous that 39/40 is only 56/60

Posted from TSR Mobile

Waddafaq
I might redo that lol (I don't think I'd get a higher mark in organic prep though...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Waddafaq
I might redo that lol (I don't think I'd get a higher mark in organic prep though...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah 37/40 is an A. Its pretty worrying that 1 mark on the practical can cost you 1% of your as course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah 37/40 is an A. Its pretty worrying that 1 mark on the practical can cost you 1% of your as course

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's ridiculous.
I'll have to smash unit 1 and 2... :colonhash:
My average is 118UMS over 7 unit 1 I've done so I should be okay but unit 2 idk lol I got some time but still

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
That's ridiculous.
I'll have to smash unit 1 and 2... :colonhash:
My average is 118UMS over 7 unit 1 I've done so I should be okay but unit 2 idk lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah unit 1 is normally very basic but unit 2 can be a bit more unpredictable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Which is what I said XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah lol xD
The jump from unit 1 to unit 2 is 10x bigger than the jump from gcse to unit 1...
Hi everyone.
OCR Chemistry AS level
lovin' the thread
Original post by BBeyond
The jump from unit 1 to unit 2 is 10x bigger than the jump from gcse to unit 1...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed,I'm so nervous for the exams.
Original post by BBeyond

I don't understand how they have the same weighting and time is the same for edexcel. I'd have preferred if it was like physics, where they split units by topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I don't understand how they have the same weighting and time is the same for edexcel. I'd have preferred if it was like physics, where they split units by topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least unit 2 is after half term

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed,I'm so nervous for the exams.

Ikr so close now :frown:

Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it beyond stupid that I can go from 77-80 on unit 1 papers to struggling to reach 60 on unit 2 papers when I've put far more time into unit 2...

Quick Reply