The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GManTheGMan
I can understand why you might want to avoid that for personal reasons but you're under no obligation to give notice just because you ask for a reference. I was an in-service candidate so my managers were aware of the process all the way through and that I would be giving formal notice as early as I could.

I'm also an in-service candidate. I recently found out I passed the FSAC for central departments. My line manager is aware I applied and now that I have passed. When would you say it is safe to give formal notice? Once the pre-employment checks are done? I am keen to do it as soon as possible to give me a few weeks between jobs to relocate back to the UK!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lauradmxx
We could make a HR Facebook page?! :smile::smile:

Excellent idea! :-)
Original post by meganfleur
Excellent idea! :-)

Great. I'll go ahead and make it and post up the details for everyone.

Looks like I need to add a facebook friend to the group before I can publish it - do you want to message me your FB so I can add you there?

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Great. I'll go ahead and make it and post up the details for everyone.

Looks like I need to add a facebook friend to the group before I can publish it - do you want to message me your FB so I can add you there?

Thanks!

The easiest thing might be to set up a secret group on fb then send the link to each of us via private message on here
Original post by grownupfrog
The easiest thing might be to set up a secret group on fb then send the link to each of us via private message on here

I have no hope for the fast stream if I can't make a Facebook group, lol. You can't make a secret group and send links so have gone for a private one for now. Looks like previous cohorts did the same as they have groups on there too.

Anyway, HR people who want to get to know each other a bit better I've set up a private Facebook group under 'HR Fast Stream 2015' ... get adding :smile:!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1492178581068261/?fref=ts
I have no hope for the fast stream if I can't make a Facebook group, lol. You can't make a secret group and send links so have gone for a private one for now. Looks like previous cohorts did the same as they have groups on there too. Anyway, HR people who want to get to know each other a bit better I've set up a private Facebook group under 'HR Fast Stream 2015' ... get adding :smile:!https://www.facebook.com/groups/1492178581068261/?fref=ts

Great, thanks for sorting it!
Original post by ruthbadger
I'm also an in-service candidate. I recently found out I passed the FSAC for central departments. My line manager is aware I applied and now that I have passed. When would you say it is safe to give formal notice? Once the pre-employment checks are done? I am keen to do it as soon as possible to give me a few weeks between jobs to relocate back to the UK!

Congratulations! I'm an in-service candidate, too - also successful for Central Departments!

I don't know whether it's different in different departments, but in mine they say you don't have to give notice in the same way, as staying within the civil service means it's an internal transfer.

To do that whilst giving yourself a few weeks in between might require applying for unpaid leave though.

But I would think waiting for pre-employment checks to be done before giving notice, if that is what is required, would make most sense, though.
[QUOTE="Slowbro93;50720137"]Yeah Stats was my second choice, it's more trying to find examples of where I used those techniques (like an index, never used that since GCSE statistics! :tongue: )

Nothing for OR yet, really hope we're both gonna get good news though :hugs:[/QUOTE
I only applied for stats and have a horrible feeling I made a pigs ear of the application. I have a maths degree and done plenty of stats but the detail on the form indicates they're looking for someone who has actually USED stats in the real world on a thesis of some kind which you only do for joint maths-stats BScs. Filled the form in 8 days ago so I guess we're still being compared with the straglers from round 1. Wish they were clearer about what's required as on the website it just says numerate degree and some understanding of stats!!!
Still nothing back 😒 but might try again next year after attempting an MSc
I am an in-service candidate too, found out that I had passed the FSAC on thursday for the central departments, and am in a similar position where my line manager knows that I have applied. Actually excited to tell him that I passed on monday (on easter leave). I have spoken to parity, and they told me that due to the fact I am already a civil servant, I can just get HR to inform them that all my pre-employment checks have already been completed, it may be a similar situation for you!
I've been under the impression that it is just an internal transfer therefore notice periods are different.
Hope that helps!
Heya, just a quick Q for anyone who has had their FSB interview.... were the interviewers familiar with the answers you provided in the initial application form and/or the material from your FCAS report?

It doesn't say either way in the guide for the GCFS FSB..... Any insights are appreciated! Thanks
Original post by ruthbadger

I would just give it about 5 or 6 weeks before your start date depending, on your current contract. That's my personal "I am not a lawyer" opinion, though.
Original post by catty90
I am an in-service candidate too, found out that I had passed the FSAC on thursday for the central departments, and am in a similar position where my line manager knows that I have applied. Actually excited to tell him that I passed on monday (on easter leave). I have spoken to parity, and they told me that due to the fact I am already a civil servant, I can just get HR to inform them that all my pre-employment checks have already been completed, it may be a similar situation for you!
I've been under the impression that it is just an internal transfer therefore notice periods are different.
Hope that helps!

Congratulations! I enjoyed telling my colleagues, although I detected in some an element of the usual range of emotions that some mainstream civil servants associate with the fast stream. I think that was slightly dampened by the fact that I have, like you, a chunk of experience inside the machine.

I spoke to my HR, and they said that they only had the Disclosure Scotland checks saved on file, so I'll have to submit the rest of the stuff separately.
Original post by Geborgenheit
Hello,

I have been sneakily watching this thread all through the application process but have never posted or had an account before! I found out yesterday that I passed FSAC for the European Fast Stream. Have had a little bit of a trawl through - but very little to go by on what this means or how long I can expect it to be before I hear any more.

My scores were relatively high other than the wrong side of 2.5 for value-for-money/achieving commercial outcomes. I don't suppose anyone can enlighten me on a) chances of success at this stage or b) how long the 'paper sift' process takes? From a glance through last year's thread it looks as though some serious mistakes were made with communicating but also the whole process seemed to have been wrapped up by now...

Many thanks for any input from anybody, and congratulations to all of the many people on here who have been successful or reached final selection boards!

The paper sift took a good while last year, so if you've only just found out you passed FSAC I would prepare yourself to wait a little bit longer yet I'm afraid! The FSBs for the EFS Diplomatic option have to take place first and then the candidates for that selected so that the EFS team know who exactly is in the pool for them to select first. (I haven't been following the thread throughout so I don't know if these have happened or not)

They first sort by who has selected the EFS as their first choice. I believe people who have language degrees (French or German) are then chosen first, and then everyone else is ranked by their FSAC score. Then if there are any places left after that, they will apply the same criteria to people who didn't select the EFS as their first choice.

Hope this helps!
Original post by thegetaway
The paper sift took a good while last year, so if you've only just found out you passed FSAC I would prepare yourself to wait a little bit longer yet I'm afraid! The FSBs for the EFS Diplomatic option have to take place first and then the candidates for that selected so that the EFS team know who exactly is in the pool for them to select first. (I haven't been following the thread throughout so I don't know if these have happened or not)

They first sort by who has selected the EFS as their first choice. I believe people who have language degrees (French or German) are then chosen first, and then everyone else is ranked by their FSAC score. Then if there are any places left after that, they will apply the same criteria to people who didn't select the EFS as their first choice.

Hope this helps!

Thank so much for your help! I don't suppose you have any idea of how many people they let pass FSAC for EFS relative to the number of places available?
Original post by Geborgenheit
Thank so much for your help! I don't suppose you have any idea of how many people they let pass FSAC for EFS relative to the number of places available?

Not a clue I'm afraid. I heard they are taking on a few more people for EFS this year than last, but dunno if this means any more have been taken through to FSAC or not.
Original post by grownupfrog
It varies since it depends on your etray score. If you got a high mark you'll be invited to FSAC quickly, usually within days. Middling marks have to wait a bit longer until it becomes clear where they stand in relation to others who've applied. I imagine that it'll be quicker for those applying in round 2 since the pass marks have already been set. But (like with every stage of this process!) you just have to wait.

Original post by Lauws
If the pass marks have been set, op should find out within 24 hours. However, I'm not sure whether they will be reassessed for second round schemes? If so, like you say, the wait will apply.

Got the outcome in 24hrs as suspected and I passed! Now "awaiting invitation" to FSAC. Any ideas when the round 2 HR FSAC will be? Guessing sometime in May. Also, any tips on how to prepare for the FSAC, especially from the HR point of view?
Original post by ses_251
Got the outcome in 24hrs as suspected and I passed! Now "awaiting invitation" to FSAC. Any ideas when the round 2 HR FSAC will be? Guessing sometime in May. Also, any tips on how to prepare for the FSAC, especially from the HR point of view?

Try searching this thread, there's loads of advice, including HR-specific tips. Good luck!
Reply 3077
Original post by TruckBear
I enjoyed telling my colleagues, although I detected in some an element of the usual range of emotions that some mainstream civil servants associate with the fast stream. I think that was slightly dampened by the fact that I have, like you, a chunk of experience inside the machine.

Hi! Just as a curious non-civil servant about to start as a CD generalist: How did you find the reactions and perception (or how is the general, stereotypical perception) of fast streamers from 'normal' civil servants?
Can anyone who did the DS FSB in recent weeks remember whether we were told 'by' the end of April or 'at' the end of April for our results?

I realise I'm clutching at straws but it would be so nice to find out this week!
Reply 3079
I think I was told we would be unlikely to hear before the end of April.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending