The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Nadal registers his first Top 10 win since last year's French Open as he heads into a semifinal with Djokovic
Nadal's odds are 2/1 to win the match. First time he hasn't been favourite to win a match on clay in 10 years apparently.

Haven't really been able to watch Monte Carlo this week so dunno how either of them have been doing but I think he's got a chance and the bookies might regret this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Man, if Rafa could win this match ... the adrenaline shot to his season would be phenomenal.
Novak wins 6-3 6-3!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great performance by both Rafa and Novak shows how much tennis has missed their rivalry! I hope Novak hasn't peaked too early though, no point beating Rafa now just to lose yet again at RG, needs to keep his eyes on the ultimate prize!
In this moment I think Djokovic is the best player in the world on ANY surface in best of five sets. I would favour him to beat Nadal at the French Open and Roger at Wimbledon if those matches were played right now.
It honestly wouldn't shock me if Djokovic hands out yet another bagel to Berdych tomorrow, the real test was Rafa so unless Berdych plays the match of his life and Djokovic doesn't turn up things could get very ugly very quickly for Berdych
Shame I missed it but sounds like my man put up a good fight, which is encouraging to hear. Will catch the highlights later.

Unfortunately, the final is going to be an embarrassment. No matter how well Berdych is playing right now he'll be lucky to win 4 games against Djokovic.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
In this moment I think Djokovic is the best player in the world on ANY surface in best of five sets. I would favour him to beat Nadal at the French Open and Roger at Wimbledon if those matches were played right now.

Murray would stand a chance against Novak in grass imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dragonborn10
Murray would stand a chance against Novak in grass imo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone's got a chance technically but I think right now Djokovic has a greater than 50% chance of beating anyone on any surface, including Murray on grass. Especially with the way their recent matchups with each other have went, I would make Djokovic the comfortable favourite on any surface personally.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Everyone's got a chance technically but I think right now Djokovic has a greater than 50% chance of beating anyone on any surface, including Murray on grass. Especially with the way their recent matchups with each other have went, I would make Djokovic the comfortable favourite on any surface personally.

I get where you are coming from and I agree but I think Murray will have a great chance to win a big4 player after the 2013 final, if they meet on grass. It's Murray's best surface and imo barring any "slip-ups" he'll be the favourite to win Wimbledon this year! (along with Novak)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Confidence-boosting win for Novak, he is riding a great winning streak here. Since the back end of last year, he's won Paris, the WTF, the Australian Open, Indian Wells, Miami and is now on the verge of winning Monte Carlo!
Nadal was great in the first few games of the first set but then allowed himself to get dominated in the second half of the match. He was too far back, so much so that I couldn't see him on the TV screen at times and played quite a few short balls into the strike zone of the Serb.
Original post by Dragonborn10
I get where you are coming from and I agree but I think Murray will have a great chance to win a big4 player after the 2013 final, if they meet on grass. It's Murray's best surface and imo barring any "slip-ups" he'll be the favourite to win Wimbledon this year! (along with Novak)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think for Wimbledon it'll be difficult to pick a clear favourite as such - no man has defended his title since 2007, so there is always a lot of pressure on the defending champ.

I really feel that all of the Top 4 have a decent shot, including Nadal, who is entering 2 grass court warm-up tournaments prior to the tournament
Original post by Sirocco11
Shame I missed it but sounds like my man put up a good fight, which is encouraging to hear. Will catch the highlights later.

Unfortunately, the final is going to be an embarrassment. No matter how well Berdych is playing right now he'll be lucky to win 4 games against Djokovic.

Yes, he played very well at the start certainly, but I thought there were still too many short balls into Novak's strike zone. That said, at the French Open Nadal magically finds his depth/range so I don't read too much into this. It feels almost inevitable that these guys will meet at the French, so it will all come down to perfect execution on the day.

Regarding the final, I really hope it isn't that one-sided. Berdych has beaten Novak on clay before (Rome 2013)
Good call by me, it was actually a close 3-set affair. Djokovic's level wasn't that great today but it was enough to get the job done. He's now won every big event since November 2014.
Original post by Krish4791
Good call by me, it was actually a close 3-set affair. Djokovic's level wasn't that great today but it was enough to get the job done. He's now won every big event since November 2014.

He's definitely on a roll but the most important thing is that he's managing to win even when far from his best, that's got to be great for his confidence. Nadal is also coming back to his best so I expect him to be more than ready to defend his titles in Madrid and RG as well as challenging in Rome.
Rafa falls again.
I miss Safin :moon:

[video="youtube;T8yfHuYm_kM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8yfHuYm_kM[/video]
Nishikori defended his Barcelona title.

Safin was good.
Nishikori is playing well - has a good shot at Madrid. Apparently Djokovic may opt not to play the tournament.

Quick Reply

Latest