The Student Room Group

Spanish Subjunctive

If I say 'Es raro tener un encierro sin heridas' do I need the subjunctive? I read that you use the subjunctive with it's rare that but just wanted to check if you could use it in this sentence.

I think it's OK as you used the infinitive, you could also say "Es raro que haya" if you want to show off your subjuntivo skills lol
What exactly are you trying to say?
I don't feel like tener is even the right verb to use in this context, subjunctive aside.
Reply 3
Original post by Viridiana
I think it's OK as you used the infinitive, you could also say "Es raro que haya" if you want to show off your subjuntivo skills lol

So if I said 'es raro que haya un encierro sin heridas' this would also make sense? I'd do anything to add more subjunctives in haha thanks!

Original post by Sunghyunah
I don't feel like tener is even the right verb to use in this context, subjunctive aside.

I'm trying to say It's rare to have the festival 'el encierro' without any injuries. :s-smilie:
In that sense I would agree with what Viridiana has written, try to avoid using the verb tener too much as synonyms show a much broader grasp of the language!
Original post by Zango11
If I say 'Es raro tener un encierro sin heridas' do I need the subjunctive? I read that you use the subjunctive with it's rare that but just wanted to check if you could use it in this sentence.

That wording doesn't sound natural in Spanish. It would be best to say something along the lines of "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se hiera nadie" or "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se produzca ningún herido"

Source: native spanish speaker :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Yep, agreed, I don't think the word is right in this context either, I was just talking solely about grammar.
Reply 7
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
That wording doesn't sound natural in Spanish. It would be best to say something along the lines of "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se hiera nadie" or "Es raro que haya un encierro y que no se produzca ningún herido"

Source: native spanish speaker :smile:

Original post by Viridiana
Yep, agreed, I don't think the word is right in this context either, I was just talking solely about grammar.

In that sense I would agree with what Viridiana has written, try to avoid using the verb tener too much as synonyms show a much broader grasp of the language!

Thank you all very much! I'll use this version instead :biggrin: (I'm so happy I can put another subjunctive in my speaking presentation haha)

Quick Reply