The Student Room Group

Music Tech: Examiners differentiating Audio and MIDI

In the Music Tech coursework you burn your work onto a CD, so how will the examiner by able to tell if i have used MIDI or Audio in my DAW, if they're not able to see my workflow on the DAW, instead they're just listening to the CD?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Hey, I wanted to post it in the Music Tech A Level forum, if there is one but I couldn't find it. If one does exist can you please help me relocate it?

Thank you in advance
Coursework is marked internally, and the examiners will ask to see a sample of work from the school. So I would hazard a guess that your teacher will look at your work on the computer it's on, and mark accordingly, and then include this in the marking for the examiner to look at if they randomly select your work to send off.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
Coursework is marked internally, and the examiners will ask to see a sample of work from the school. So I would hazard a guess that your teacher will look at your work on the computer it's on, and mark accordingly, and then include this in the marking for the examiner to look at if they randomly select your work to send off.

Sorry should have made it clear, this is Music Tech A level, with coursework and Exam.

Coursework is burnt onto a CD and sent to the examiners
Original post by kevinbruyne
Sorry should have made it clear, this is Music Tech A level, with coursework and Exam.

Coursework is burnt onto a CD and sent to the examiners

This would probably be best being brought up with your teacher then, most coursework subjects I know of are marked internally.
Reply 6
Original post by loperdoper
This would probably be best being brought up with your teacher then, most coursework subjects I know of are marked internally.

Thanks.
I asked, it gets sent off and examiners take your word for what is written in the logbook. And if needed the examining board ask for a sample of a few people's work within the class.

Very ineffective if you ask me, so many loopholes
Original post by kevinbruyne
Thanks.
I asked, it gets sent off and examiners take your word for what is written in the logbook. And if needed the examining board ask for a sample of a few people's work within the class.

Very ineffective if you ask me, so many loopholes

I used to be an examiner for this so maybe I can clarify a couple of points. The only section which prohibits the use of MIDI is the Multi-track recording. The examiners are mostly very experienced studio musicians and can hear the difference between live audio and VSTs controlled by MIDI. This is why your first task is to try to make MIDI sound as much as possible like a live performance - not easy. Also, you and your teacher are required to sign a declaration on the back of the logbook to the effect that the work has been completed according to the specification - we rely on teachers' professionalism here.
If the examiner suspects that you have used sequencing in your recording, or that you have used a downloaded MIDI file for your sequencing, they will mark the paper anyway but will send it to the Senior Management of the exam to investigate and Edexcel will decide what to do about it.

Honestly, it's easier just to do the job right in the first place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending