The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kennethm
Awesome of you guys to post this, anyone have the link to the multiple Choice?

here it is!
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
here it is!

<3
Reply 1022
Original post by Kennethm
<3

Haha - happy revising!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had the EMPA today. Not going to mention specifics, obviously. Did anyone else do Task A today? I thought it was alright, just hoping I get the marks for the way I've answered things :s-smilie:

Task B tomorrow :mad:
Reply 1024
Original post by JJBinn
Had the EMPA today. Not going to mention specifics, obviously. Did anyone else do Task A today? I thought it was alright, just hoping I get the marks for the way I've answered things :s-smilie:

Task B tomorrow :mad:

Hey there, I've done section A (task 1 and 2). I feel the same. By task B, do you mean the second experiment, or the second section (exam on what you did in both practicals).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Hey there, I've done section A (task 1 and 2). I feel the same. By task B, do you mean the second experiment, or the second section (exam on what you did in both practicals).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still haven't done the second experiment. I'm not so familiar with the EMPA set up as I did an ISA for AS but my school changed ISAs to EMPAs this year because they are supposedly fairer.

Is Section A worth 30 marks?
Reply 1026
Original post by JJBinn
I still haven't done the second experiment. I'm not so familiar with the EMPA set up as I did an ISA for AS but my school changed ISAs to EMPAs this year because they are supposedly fairer.

Is Section A worth 30 marks?

Oh right! I wasn't aware you could switch schemes. I did the EMPA last year but only got a C. Hoping for something better this year, although I'm not resitting the AS EMPA.

Yes, section A is usually 30 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh right! I wasn't aware you could switch schemes. I did the EMPA last year but only got a C. Hoping for something better this year, although I'm not resitting the AS EMPA.

Yes, section A is usually 30 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was kind of bummed about it because I got an A in the ISA. Still, it seemed to go okay today. A long way to go though...

Very cryptic response about section A total marks there, surely you can say if it's out of 30 again? Or am I just buying too much into what you said and you were already confirming it haha
Reply 1028
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah, I was kind of bummed about it because I got an A in the ISA. Still, it seemed to go okay today. A long way to go though...

Very cryptic response about section A total marks there, surely you can say if it's out of 30 again? Or am I just buying too much into what you said and you were already confirming it haha

Ah no that sucks. Yeah section A seems okay, it was section B that screwed me over last year.

Nah, it wasn't meant to be cryptic. It usually is 30 marks, and probably is again this year, I can't remember as I did my section A at the start of March.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah no that sucks. Yeah section A seems okay, it was section B that screwed me over last year.

Nah, it wasn't meant to be cryptic. It usually is 30 marks, and probably is again this year, I can't remember as I did my section A at the start of March.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh I see. I don't really like the whole controlled assessment system, like people in my school doing it at different times, I was the first class to do it but some people can talk to members of my class and get an advantage.

Section B does seem pretty tough but I haven't looked at many papers yet, been focused on Section A papers. I'll be relieved to get Section A finished though because I'm not overly confident with hands on stuff with equipment :colondollar:
Reply 1030
Original post by JJBinn
Ahhh I see. I don't really like the whole controlled assessment system, like people in my school doing it at different times, I was the first class to do it but some people can talk to members of my class and get an advantage.

Section B does seem pretty tough but I haven't looked at many papers yet, been focused on Section A papers. I'll be relieved to get Section A finished though because I'm not overly confident with hands on stuff with equipment :colondollar:

Yeah the problem is exacerbated when people talk about it over here too. Haha.

Hahaa. I'm pretty okay with section A, but the section B paper is very hard to prepare for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah the problem is exacerbated when people talk about it over here too. Haha.

Hahaa. I'm pretty okay with section A, but the section B paper is very hard to prepare for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I agree, there's not a lot you can do. I just hope my second practical tomorrow runs smoothly and it's just a wait until section B :smile:

By the look of the past practical 2, it will just be a few measurements to make and then a lot of marks for a graph. What worries me is getting bad results that aren't in their thresholds.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1032
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah I agree, there's not a lot you can do. I just hope my second practical tomorrow runs smoothly and it's just a wait until section B :smile:

By the look of the past practical 2, it will just be a few measurements to make and then a lot of marks for a graph. What worries me is getting bad results that aren't in their thresholds.

Yeah hope it goes well! When's your section B? Mines two weeks tomorrow (5th May).

Part 2 is always the data collection task, so you'll most likely be fine. The boundaries are harsh I find :/

How are you finding PHYA4 and PHYA5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah hope it goes well! When's your section B? Mines two weeks tomorrow (5th May).

Part 2 is always the data collection task, so you'll most likely be fine. The boundaries are harsh I find :/

How are you finding PHYA4 and PHYA5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I think it might be the same day, I know it's early May, might actually be Monday the 4th.

I agree, especially considering different schools will have slightly different equipment.

I feel quite comfortable with Unit 4 apart from a little on Magnetic Flux but usually just blunder my way through that with the formula's anyway. Had an A in the mock too so I seem on course.

Unit 5 I don't feel like I really know any of it, we seem to have covered it pretty quickly (we've finished it all). It's just a case of bringing myself to go through the textbook to reinforce what I've done, but right now if I did a paper the mark wouldn't be good :biggrin:

You?
Reply 1034
Original post by JJBinn
Thanks! I think it might be the same day, I know it's early May, might actually be Monday the 4th.

I agree, especially considering different schools will have slightly different equipment.

I feel quite comfortable with Unit 4 apart from a little on Magnetic Flux but usually just blunder my way through that with the formula's anyway. Had an A in the mock too so I seem on course.

Unit 5 I don't feel like I really know any of it, we seem to have covered it pretty quickly (we've finished it all). It's just a case of bringing myself to go through the textbook to reinforce what I've done, but right now if I did a paper the mark wouldn't be good :biggrin:

You?

Oh nice! Good luck for whenever it is. That's all the EMPA seems to be about - luck. Haha.

Oh nice! I scraped an A in the mock so I'm fairly happy. Just hope I can replicate that in the real thing. Not had a PHYA5 mock yet :/ feels like we're in a similar boat!

Do you do astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh nice! Good luck for whenever it is. That's all the EMPA seems to be about - luck. Haha.

Oh nice! I scraped an A in the mock so I'm fairly happy. Just hope I can replicate that in the real thing. Not had a PHYA5 mock yet :/ feels like we're in a similar boat!

Do you do astro?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the EMPA is about luck a lot tbh, your results fitting in the range is partly down to luck.

That's good at this stage :smile:

Yeah I do astro. I don't really like it as it's a lot of stuff to remember, rather than physics concepts imo. It will take a chunk of time to revise and there's under an hours exam on it :rolleyes:
Reply 1036
Does anyone reckon Unit four is getting harder as time goes on? 2010 seems much easier than 2014 for example. Reckon that'll continue?

Hi guys, does anyone know how to calculate the percentage uncertainty in this question? I know it's not unit 4 but any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally lost! Thanks.
Reply 1038
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah the EMPA is about luck a lot tbh, your results fitting in the range is partly down to luck.

That's good at this stage :smile:

Yeah I do astro. I don't really like it as it's a lot of stuff to remember, rather than physics concepts imo. It will take a chunk of time to revise and there's under an hours exam on it :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't understand how they can judge the "correct" range?

Yeah it's a lot of content astro!
What's your hardest unit overall? For me it's mag fields, then astro I just find it hard remembering everything!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1039
Original post by einot
Does anyone reckon Unit four is getting harder as time goes on? 2010 seems much easier than 2014 for example. Reckon that'll continue?

I notice that general trend with both AQA Physics and AQA Maths. There's a lot of pressure on exam boards to make exams harder, which is counter-intuitive given that it only lowers boundaries, meaning the same proportion of people get the same grade they otherwise would have on an easier paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending