The Student Room Group

I don't understand UCAS points

My offer is 300 UCAS points for uni but I don't understand how to work out what I need to obtain at a level to achieve this.

In my AS levels I got C,C,C,D (but hoping to resist the D to make it another C). So, at the moment, according to the UCAS tariff table I have 150 UCAS points, this would presumably mean I need another 150 UCAS in my A Levels to achieve the 300 points to get into uni, meaning if I got 3 C's I would get an additional 240?

Please could ups someone explain or let me know if this is right or wrong?
Original post by CharlotteEris
My offer is 300 UCAS points for uni but I don't understand how to work out what I need to obtain at a level to achieve this.

In my AS levels I got C,C,C,D (but hoping to resist the D to make it another C). So, at the moment, according to the UCAS tariff table I have 150 UCAS points, this would presumably mean I need another 150 UCAS in my A Levels to achieve the 300 points to get into uni, meaning if I got 3 C's I would get an additional 240?

If you got C,C,C at A2 and had 1 AS of a D, you would have 270 UCAS points. If you got C,C,C at A2 and 1AS of a C, you would have 280 UCAS. In order to get 300, you need BBC and an AS level of C. Good luck!
you dont count something twice so say you carried on all 4 subjects to as you would only count your a2 grades for points

You get 140 for an A*, 120 for an A, 100 for a B, 80 for a C, 60 for a D and 40 for an E at A2. All AS grades are worth half their A2 equivalent BUT you can only count AS points for the subjects you did not carry on to A2, and only if the offer allows AS points to be included. If you got CCC at A2, you would only have 240 points, plus the 30 you would have for the D at AS, so you would still be short.
Original post by Aeneas11
If you got C,C,C at A2 and had 1 AS of a D, you would have 270 UCAS points. If you got C,C,C at A2 and 1AS of a C, you would have 280 UCAS. In order to get 300, you need BBC and an AS level of C. Good luck!

Please could you explain how this works though?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You get 140 for an A*, 120 for an A, 100 for a B, 80 for a C, 60 for a D and 40 for an E at A2. All AS grades are worth half their A2 equivalent BUT you can only count AS points for the subjects you did not carry on to A2, and only if the offer allows AS points to be included. If you got CCC at A2, you would only have 240 points, plus the 30 you would have for the D at AS, so you would still be short.

Oh ok I get it now! Well that's screwed me over lol I'm so dead now, if only I could do exams lol
Please could you explain how this works though?

Never mind, I understand it now
I know it's not a-levels but i'm struggling to get my head around UCAS points aswell,

I have an NVQ level 3 extended diploma and a City and Guilds level 3 diploma both in engineering,

Are these worth any UCAS points?

Thank you in advance
For anyone else trying to get their head around UCAS points, this might help : http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointscalculator.asp
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry this is really late but what uni is this that gave u an offer? Ive done my as levels and hav 150 ucas pts as well looking for poss universities QUOTE=CharlotteEris;55140205]My offer is 300 UCAS points for uni but I don't understand how to work out what I need to obtain at a level to achieve this.

Quick Reply

Latest