The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hiya :smile: could you all please help me to make a decision?

I need to decide whether to take S3 or M3 for my 6th Further Maths module. I know statistics is more useful for economics, but I feel like I'll get a better mark with M3. So my question is, do you know how much S3 is involved in the economics course at uni? Because if there's a lot of S3 that I need to know, I'm probably going to take S3. However, if S3 isn't that essential, I'll take M3.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
Hiya :smile: could you all please help me to make a decision?

I need to decide whether to take S3 or M3 for my 6th Further Maths module. I know statistics is more useful for economics, but I feel like I'll get a better mark with M3. So my question is, do you know how much S3 is involved in the economics course at uni? Because if there's a lot of S3 that I need to know, I'm probably going to take S3. However, if S3 isn't that essential, I'll take M3.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

From everyone I've spoken to S3 is more useful and better preparation for the course. I myself am taking S3 for that very reason. However, you do need to think about it from the perspective of your grade, if you feel you will do better in M3 than S3, given we have a month till the M3/S3 exams you may need to just go with the module you're comfortable with in terms of maximising your grade. However, if you feel you can do fine in taking S3 I would recommend you choose that :smile:
Original post by katyhay12
From everyone I've spoken to S3 is more useful and better preparation for the course. I myself am taking S3 for that very reason. However, you do need to think about it from the perspective of your grade, if you feel you will do better in M3 than S3, given we have a month till the M3/S3 exams you may need to just go with the module you're comfortable with in terms of maximising your grade. However, if you feel you can do fine in taking S3 I would recommend you choose that :smile:

Thank you so much! I'm in year 12 actually and our teachers asked us which Further Maths module we wanted to do for next year - so I either have to learn S3 or M3.

I think I'm going to choose to do S3.

How is S3? Is it very hard? Did you do any mechanics modules as well? How difficult is S3 in comparison? And which exam board are you on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Buntar
Hi, I have firmed a place at York for BSc Economics and I think I'm going to get better results than predicted.

Eligibility for Adjustment is based on both meeting and exceeding your offer conditions (not your predictions). You say you've already taken a gap year so is your York offer conditional? And if so are you likely to both meet it (in full) and exceed it?
Thank you so much! I'm in year 12 actually and our teachers asked us which Further Maths module we wanted to do for next year - so I either have to learn S3 or M3.

I think I'm going to choose to do S3.

How is S3? Is it very hard? Did you do any mechanics modules as well? How difficult is S3 in comparison? And which exam board are you on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wise move, I think S3 will be better for you to take :smile:
I don't personally find S3 that difficult and it interlinks with S2 quite nicely. In revising S3 a lot of my S2 in turn is consolidated. How are you finding S2? Or will you be starting that next year? I'm with Edexcel.
I took M1 last year for AS and am doing M2 this year. Difficulty wise, I personally found M2 slightly harder than S2 and I would think S3 to be slightly harder than S2 given that S3 will assume you're confident with S2 (which if you are it helps tons and makes S3 considerably easier). Hmm in terms of comparing M2 with S3 I'm really not sure. I suppose since S3 is a '3' module perhaps it is right for us to assume that it will be slightly harder? It really does depend though how inclined towards statistics or mechanics you are, I wish I could answer this but really it's very subjective and people's views differ immensely when comparing the difficulty of modules. I don't think you will find S3 to be that much of a problem, I self-taught it and am finding it absolutely fine, and I think it will be more useful for you to take it than M3, so I will recommend you give S3 a shot :smile:.
x

Hey, I'm a current first year and I did S3. Pretty much everything in S3 came up in the first term. The main advantage was I didn't have to look up or read over stuff since I was already familiar with it, which has helped me find the Stats portion slightly easier than others who didn't do it given the pace of lectures. Saying that it was only a temporary advantage and everyone eventually gets brought up to scratch so I wouldn't worry too much about not doing it, and if youd rather do M3 then do that as it's more worthwhile doing something you'd enjoy more.

S3 isn't too bad, it was my fav stats module and not too big a jump over S2. The main difficulty I found was the Sampling chapter which was a b*tch to remember for the exam :tongue:. In comparison to Mechanics, M3 is much harder objectively speaking, akin to the likes of FP2 and FP3, the previous two Ms pale in comparison. Saying this, some people find Ms naturally easier than Ss so it depends on the individual too. Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys , I'm going to firm LSE l100 economics as my first choice but I don't know what to decide
as as my insurance between City university for straight economics and QMUL for economics,management and finance... What would you choose ????
Reply 3627
Original post by FrankF
Hi guys , I'm going to firm LSE l100 economics as my first choice but I don't know what to decide
as as my insurance between City university for straight economics and QMUL for economics,management and finance... What would you choose ????

City will be better for IB/consulting career prospects, otherwise little to choose from

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LFR
City will be better for IB/consulting career prospects, otherwise little to choose from

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not Cass though.. Cass has higher entry reqs and is genuinely considered a good option - econ at city doesn't have the same cachet.

I'd go with Queen Mary because its a Russell Group uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
It's not Cass though.. Cass has higher entry reqs and is genuinely considered a good option - econ at city doesn't have the same cachet.

I'd go with Queen Mary because its a Russell Group uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank You! btw do you know if it's possible to change the course from city to Cass ??
Original post by FrankF

QMUL > City

Cass > QMUL

Cass doesn't offer straight Economics.
bristol or exeter economics? what should i insure (warwick firmed)...thanks everyone
Original post by beardedlondoner
bristol or exeter economics? what should i insure (warwick firmed)...thanks everyone

What are the offers?
Original post by billis-
What are the offers?

similar
similar

They seem to be very similar in terms of university rankings. I applied to both, and my personal preference was Bristol- but mainly that was due to Exeter messing around and having to lower their ridiculous A*A*A offer. *sigh* I suppose you have to visit them and check out their course content to differentiate.
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about applying for economics at Cambridge, or E and M at Oxford. I know that Cambridge like double maths, which unfortunately I don't do. Even if I get 100% UMS in C1, C2 and S1, would Cambridge give me a second look?

Thanks
Does anyone apply for master in economics for columbia?have u heard any result?

Posted from TSR Mobile
By when do i have to decide on my firm and insurance choice, and when does ucl and Bristol require me to apply for accomodation? Also, is accomodation based on first come-first served?

100% Bristol
Original post by EconApplicant2
By when do i have to decide on my firm and insurance choice, and when does ucl and Bristol require me to apply for accomodation? Also, is accomodation based on first come-first served?

Track will tell you your deadline, everyone's is slightly different depending on when you got all your offers from. For accommodation policy probably best to visit their respective websites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending