The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iceangel8
I wanted to ask, I have insured Sheffield with an offer of ABB but let's say I get AAC, would I be accepted on the grounds of equivalence?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good morning :smile:

Thanks for your question as a lot of students are interested in what happens in August when the exam results come in.

If you achieve A,A,C, it is a great set of results. However, unfortunately in this scenario you have missed the offer by one grade (achieving a C instead of a B). If the course you've applied to is full, then I'm afraid we would be unable to keep a place for you.

However, if the course still had places we would review your application. In this process, we look at the applications of all students who have missed their offer for a place on the course. In the review, we may re-read your personal statement and review your exam results (to see which subjects you got the As in and which subject was the C grade). If the personal statement was good and the A grades were in subjects that were most relevant to the course then we may still offer you a place. However, at this stage we are having to make decisions between students at a time when we only have a limited number of places available. Consequently, we cannot make any guarantees about who would still have a place on the course.

I hope the above information is useful. Good luck with your studies and your exams. We usually find that the students who worry about achieving their grades normally do really well! :smile:

Have a good week.

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by OneRambo16
Anyone from MSC Sports Management?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Thanks for your query. I've just sent you a private message with more info.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Anyone doing Software Engineering?
Hey there
I'm an AS student studying Maths Geography physics and economics and I heard that there is a foundation course at the University of Sheffield for medicine and I am VERY interested in joining this (entry 2016). Could you please explain the process of what I'd have to do and the grades I'd have to achieve since the site doesn't provide much info.

Thanks a lot.
Reply 104
Hey I don't have any queries, I'm a Sheffield law grad and just wanted to say that Sheffield is one of the best cities in the world, the law school is amazing, everyone is kind and friendly! You will never regret choosing Sheffield. Its a highly ranked russell group uni with an excellent reputation and brilliant teachers! I miss my days in Sheffield.
are there any catered accomodations that have a common room/communal area?- also how popular is the catered option - I've heard that most students go with self catered- is there a reason for this?
also is the catered accommodation near the uncatered- within the endliffe village area?
lastly is there an area designated to just international students?- I thought it would all be mixed but I have a friend who was initially place in accommodation with all international students?
thanks a lot! looking forward to starting in September :smile:
Hi everyone

I'm really pleased to say that Mark in our international student support team has just set up a thread on Studentroom for international students who are coming to Sheffield in September.

We appreciate that when you're moving to the UK as well as coming to uni there's a lot to do! So if you are coming to Sheffield from overseas, please get in touch via International Students at the University of Sheffield: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3273921

Many thanks

Elizabeth

Original post by Arjun24
Hey there
I'm an AS student studying Maths Geography physics and economics and I heard that there is a foundation course at the University of Sheffield for medicine and I am VERY interested in joining this (entry 2016). Could you please explain the process of what I'd have to do and the grades I'd have to achieve since the site doesn't provide much info.

Thanks a lot.

Good afternoon:smile:

You have come to the right place as we do offer a 6-year medicine degree, which includes a foundation year (UCAS code A104). You can find full details of the course on our online prospectus at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=A1042016#qualifications

To see the entry requirements, make sure the 'Course' tab is highlighted and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and all the details are there. The entry requirements for this degree are no easier than the 5 year degree (so it's still A,A,A etc). The main difference is the A-level subjects - the foundation year route is for students who did not take the subjects specified for medicine (ie they do not have Chemistry A-level). Although you currently have two science subjects (maths and physics), that's OK as you're still within the entry requirement advice.

In terms of applying for the foundation year medicine degree, the process is the same as the 5 year degree. You will need to take the UKCAT pre-admissions test and submit your UCAS form by 15 October 2015. For guidance about how to apply for medicine, please see the Medical School website: www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/mbchb

I hope that's helpful and have a good weekend.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Good afternoon:smile:

You have come to the right place as we do offer a 6-year medicine degree, which includes a foundation year (UCAS code A104). You can find full details of the course on our online prospectus at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=A1042016#qualifications

To see the entry requirements, make sure the 'Course' tab is highlighted and then scroll down to the bottom of the page and all the details are there. The entry requirements for this degree are no easier than the 5 year degree (so it's still A,A,A etc). The main difference is the A-level subjects - the foundation year route is for students who did not take the subjects specified for medicine (ie they do not have Chemistry A-level). Although you currently have two science subjects (maths and physics), that's OK as you're still within the entry requirement advice.

In terms of applying for the foundation year medicine degree, the process is the same as the 5 year degree. You will need to take the UKCAT pre-admissions test and submit your UCAS form by 15 October 2015. For guidance about how to apply for medicine, please see the Medical School website: www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/mbchb

I hope that's helpful and have a good weekend.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thank You so much for all of that, you've been great help and made everything I was unsure off clear.

Thanks and You too

Arjun
Original post by TheRAG
Why don't we start one here?

great idea! I'm new to the student room though so I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is :s.......... I'll look into it and get one started :biggrin:
Hi!
I'm probably the opposite of everyone else. I'm not into the whole 'social' scene at uni. I wanna be away from the partying and drinking as much as I can. I want to live in a clean and safe place. Which accommodation would you recommend for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 111
Original post by sunshine_3000
great idea! I'm new to the student room though so I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is :s.......... I'll look into it and get one started :biggrin:

I already have, just waiting for admin to reply and approve it
hi, i have a masters scholarship offer- i was just wondering the likelihood of getting it if i miss one grade, or is it only for A*AA?

also why do some many students choose self catered and would this work as a downside for catered students?
Reply 113
Original post by hdindak
hi, i have a masters scholarship offer- i was just wondering the likelihood of getting it if i miss one grade, or is it only for A*AA?

also why do some many students choose self catered and would this work as a downside for catered students?

Hey, I can answer the latter half of your question, being catered myself. So many students like the cheapness of self catered, being catered the average meal is £3.50, so if you can spend less on that when cooking yourself you'll save money.

people also like the freedom, and the uni is primarily catered which is why most go for it, most of the new accommodation is self catered, even i applied for it.

I really like catered, no washing up, can always look forward to a hot meal no matter how tired/moody/hungover you are. Decent food (albeit its not as diverse as I hoped). Also its social as hell, everyday our flat go at the same time and eat together, great way to bond at the start. Sheffield use the genius card which is great, theres outlets scattered around sheffield so if yiu fancy a change from the canteen. Cashless so no fiddling around and you get rewards now and again!
Original post by Weenja
Hey, I can answer the latter half of your question, being catered myself. So many students like the cheapness of self catered, being catered the average meal is £3.50, so if you can spend less on that when cooking yourself you'll save money.

people also like the freedom, and the uni is primarily catered which is why most go for it, most of the new accommodation is self catered, even i applied for it.

I really like catered, no washing up, can always look forward to a hot meal no matter how tired/moody/hungover you are. Decent food (albeit its not as diverse as I hoped). Also its social as hell, everyday our flat go at the same time and eat together, great way to bond at the start. Sheffield use the genius card which is great, theres outlets scattered around sheffield so if yiu fancy a change from the canteen. Cashless so no fiddling around and you get rewards now and again!

oh thats cool- yeah i really like the idea of catered (mainly because i can't cook aha) how does the genius card work- does it work instead of the meal that you would have had at uni? and does the uni pay for that meal or just contribute? Also how much is the genius card?
oh also which two meals do you get for catered?
(sorry for all the questions abit confused!)
Reply 115
Original post by hdindak
oh thats cool- yeah i really like the idea of catered (mainly because i can't cook aha) how does the genius card work- does it work instead of the meal that you would have had at uni? and does the uni pay for that meal or just contribute? Also how much is the genius card?

Yes it is supposed to cover all of your meals. Your given £47.60 onto your balance every sunday, so you can spend that how you like as it carries on to the next week. The village store accepts genius, so now and again you can actually buy ingredients and cook basic meals, but prices are not the best. I eat alot, and used to find myself running low sometimes, but you get used to the balance. My neighbor has like £300 ticking over atm whereas i have £50 so depends on your diet.

I tend to only have an evening meal at the cafe, and eat breakfast in my room (usually cereal or toast, and i go to the local shops and buy cheap stuff like pasta and cheese with real money and use that maybe twice a week as lunch. Like i said theres so many ways you can spend it, so if you fancy having a bacon sandwich in the cafe in the morning, skipping lunch and getting an evening meal at the university pub, then thats possible, just as many other eating patterns are.

the genius is free, and you register it online. Even self catered students can register one and start 'topping it up' if they want. The allowance you get is paid for when you pay for your accommodation. The uni gives you 5% cashback in the form of "points" on your card, which is a nice bonus, but thats it. If you lose it, you can cancel it online and register a new one, so your balance will simply transfer, same if you damage it.
Original post by hdindak

Hello

Just to add to the accommodation info provided by Weenja . . . If you choose the catered option, there is still a kitchen in your flat where you can prepare meals (although it's not as spacious as the kitchens in the self-catered flats). To see inside a catered flat, visit our 360 degree accommodation tour: http://360degreevirtualtours.group.shef.ac.uk/endcliffe/accommodation/undergraduate/catered

The catered accommodation is grouped together but it's just across the road from the self-catered flats. Quite a few parents like to get a catered food card for their son/daughter even if the son/daughter is in self-catered accommodation as it provides peace of mind that they can get a cooked meal!

The rent for living in catered accommodation can be viewed here: http://360degreevirtualtours.group.shef.ac.uk/endcliffe/rents and it includes a weekly allowance of £48.65 per week. If you spend more than this you can top up the card. Most students will spend their allowance on lunch and the evening meal (they will have breakfast at their flat) but how you choose to spend the allowance is completely up to you.

In terms of flat mates, we try to ensure that there is a good mix of students in a flat. It's unusual for a UK student to be in a flat where everyone else is from Europe or overseas but it can happen (as you know from your friend's experience). If you are sharing with students from Europe and overseas, it's a great way to meet people you can visit if you choose to go travelling and often your flat mates will be from different countries so you'll have a very diverse and interesting group of friends.

With regard to the Master's scholarship, I've checked with our finance team and you must get A*,A,A to receive the funding. I'm afraid that if you miss a grade you're no longer entitled to the scholarship.

Have a good week :smile:

Elizabeth
Original post by Afra123
Hi!
I'm probably the opposite of everyone else. I'm not into the whole 'social' scene at uni. I wanna be away from the partying and drinking as much as I can. I want to live in a clean and safe place. Which accommodation would you recommend for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Morning

Every flat is different and people sort out their own social dynamic - some people like to go out a lot, others prefer to stay in and that happens in whichever university accommodation you choose. Whilst many people become friends for life with their flat mates, others find the best friendships with people from their course or from the student society for their subject. So I'd say that when you come to Sheffield, you'll find/make a social life-study balance that feels right for you. :smile:

In terms of keeping the place clean and tidy, our team of cleaners do a grand job of looking after the flats although they don't do everything and we expect that students will tidy up after themselves (there are flat inspections to ensure that people are keeping on top of the washing up and are not causing any environmental health issues! :colondollar:)

Our university villages are located in the nicest parts of Sheffield and our estates team keep an eye on things so that students are safe. All villages also have a 24 hour reception service so there's always someone around to help. We also work closely with the police and ensure that there are extra officers on duty around the villages at the start of term so that if you need help (for example, you need to find the nearest supermarket or the quickest route to the Students' Union), it's easy to find someone.

All the best

Elizabeth
Reply 118
Hi
Looking forward to moving to Sheffield in September :-) just wondering what parking is like for students? Would I be able to securely keep a car at my student residence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I've received a place at sheff uni to study English literature with the entry requirements AA Distinction, however my English language teacher has been giving me misguided advice and marking my coursework incorrectly, and now it seems that I'm likely to get AB Distinction instead, would I still be offered a place as I feel I've been cheated out of a place at my first choice uni, is there anyone I can talk to about this issue?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending